Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

621 - 640 of 653 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you have AVH turned on and holding you in place with the engine off, stepping on the brake pedal will restart the car as well as release the hold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know. I feel it's unlikely to be sitting, waiting to take off with my foot hovering over the brake pedal to restart the car when all I have to do is step on the gas to start the car.

I get that it's another way to start the car, so thank you

Still looking for the answer as to why at times it takes 30 seconds to stop the engine and other times 2-3 seconds...

Rick

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
124 Posts
Good to know. I feel it's unlikely to be sitting, waiting to take off with my foot hovering over the brake pedal to restart the car when all I have to do is step on the gas to start the car.

I get that it's another way to start the car, so thank you

Still looking for the answer as to why at times it takes 30 seconds to stop the engine and other times 2-3 seconds...

Rick
It is based on how hard you press the brake pedal

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is based on how hard you press the brake pedal

OK good to know, will have to check it out

Regarding the 30 second setting I mentioned earlier, apparently that was complete fud... since now I can't find that setting at all

After doing a more thorough RTFM, there are many factors that might not allow the system to stop the engine, cold eng temp, steering wheel is not straight ahead, not stopping with enough brake pedal, significant internal vs. external temp with AC/Heat blowing... yes there is more conditions

Apparently the system is designed to shut down in ~2 seconds if all the conditions are met

I'm good for now, thanks for the support
Rick

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
626 Posts
It's a car setting, same are where you set tire pressure from kpi to psi, you can set the duration for the stop to kick in, it's currently set to 30 seconds...
Edit: Deleted response. I could not find the feature because, as you indicate above, it doesn't exist.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
124 Posts
OK good to know, will have to check it out

Regarding the 30 second setting I mentioned earlier, apparently that was complete fud... since now I can't find that setting at all

After doing a more thorough RTFM, there are many factors that might not allow the system to stop the engine, cold eng temp, steering wheel is not straight ahead, not stopping with enough brake pedal, significant internal vs. external temp with AC/Heat blowing... yes there is more conditions

Apparently the system is designed to shut down in ~2 seconds if all the conditions are met

I'm good for now, thanks for the support
Rick
If the conditions have not been met, when you fully press the brake pedal, you will get a yellow indicator on the dash that auto stop/start is not currently available.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just wish the button in the car actually turned it off and on(the auto stop/start) like forever not just for that drive lol my only gripe..still love mine 800+ miles on it now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Easy fix, leave the light on low beam position, use HB as needed.
The problem is that the high beams would not work when we wanted them to. For example, there's a spot along our drive that has a large industrial facility far off in the distance (like 5 miles away) , fooling the auto feature every time to think there was an oncoming vehicle. Lots of deer on that road, when the high beams are not on you can't see the reflection of their eyes on the side of the road. Another example was road signs, coming up on certain ones it would dim the lights, but with these LED's you can't see anything above the cut line when that happens. All the while, we wanted to keep the auto on/off feature for the headlights at dusk/dawn, so the best option was to have them disable the auto high beam... And we couldn't be happier. If anyone else is having the same gripes with the system, this is an option I would suggest.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester
144 Posts
Agree - hate the auto high beam feature. Doesn't seem to make any difference where I am but it never wants to do high beams.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
115 Posts
I love my auto high beam on my 2017 Legacy...seems to work well for me. My wifes 2019 Forester doesn't have it :(
It might be disabled or not installed in her car. I think only Sport and higher trims have it.
I rarely use the high beams since the head lights are so bright.

·
Registered
2019 Forrester Touring CVT
155 Posts
It might be disabled or not installed in her car. I think only Sport and higher trims have it.
My 2019 has it. The headlights also have to be on the auto mode for the auto high beams to work. I also rarely use high beams, but I guess that depends on where you live.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just assume my premium doesnt have them so Sport and up may be right..at least I dont think I do i tried to see if they would do anything or switch by themselves but i didnt dare to run with beams on high any closer to the car I was going towards i switched them off myself lol so im assuming a NO on my premium having them

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 19' Forester- Premium model. After 3500 miles, here's what I like and dislike about the car.
  • CVT transmission. Live in the mountains and it always finds the perfect RPM for power.
  • Power. From all the reviews I read, I thought this thing would be a dog. I can hit 90 with no effort on 7 percent grades.
  • Better gas mileage than my 2010 Forester.
  • Xmode and Hill Descent Mode- Use this a lot for winter mountain driving. There are several steep icy roads where I have to creep down at 5 mph.
  • Adaptive Cruise Control. It made my commute to San Diego 10 times easier than in my old Forester.
-Big back seats. Front seats are very comfortable.
Dislikes
-NO WAY TO MANUALLY SELECT gears in the Premium model. Those of us who live in mountain communities always use engine braking to slow the car down. I only have Drive and Low (the low is a useless gear because it is not the right gear for engine braking). In my old Subaru, it was either 3rd or 2nd gear.
  • The Cheap black plastic molding around the LCD and media screen- it shows the smallest amount of dust. Wish they would have used a different material.
  • Android Auto...I use it but I think it can be improved.
Overall I love the car but Subaru really should put a way to manually shift gears like in the old Foresters using the gear shift lever. I don't care about sporty driving, I just care about maintaining control driving down the mountain.
Hi, like you i am living a city which has a lot of mountains, and i have 2011 forester 2.0i (gasoline). I would like to ask you that, when climbing mountains i always have to drive with 4000rpm, even sometimes 5000rpm. I have never own an atmospheric car. driving high rpm is normal for you?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bought my 20 Forester Sport around memorial day. I really really hate it and the more I think about it, the more upset I get. I only have 2200 miles on it or so; I drive it mostly around the city, but I drive it like a baby and only pull 21-22 mpg. I took it on a 1000-1200 mile round trip and only pulled about 26 mpg. Taking it on a 3 hr round trip to a city near me and only got 23 mpg. All these mpg's are hand-calculated, not by the OEM mpg display. I have an 03 Tacoma V6 4x4 and get 19-20 mpg's all day. A lot of you say that you get proper mpg's after the break-in period. How long is that? I really can't stand this garbage mpg....

Additionally to the bad mpg's, I get really hard shifting when I'm cruising at constant speed; it's almost like a bad stutter. I feel there's a bad fuel map but the dealer says that this is normal for a CVT but a CVT isn't even supposed to "shift" at all.... Anyway, I've driven many CVT's, mostly from Toyota, but they don't shift hard or stutter. And I also have that lurching issue which according to some members here is common with the power torque converter locking and unlocking at 10-15 mph. Again, Subaru says this is normal but will be alleviated between 1k and 10k miles. These problems are not getting any better with increased mileage despite only having 2k miles on it. Anyway, I wish someone would just crash into this POS right now because it's the worst new vehicle I've ever driven, sans the last generation Corolla.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
167 Posts
And I also have that lurching issue which according to some members here is common with the power torque converter locking and unlocking at 10-15 mph. Again, Subaru says this is normal but will be alleviated between 1k and 10k miles.
I have 17K miles on my 2019 and it still does that lock/unlock at 10 MPH or so. It isn't going to go away. I just got used to it and barely notice it any more.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bought my 20 Forester Sport around memorial day. I really really hate it and the more I think about it, the more upset I get. I only have 2200 miles on it or so; I drive it mostly around the city, but I drive it like a baby and only pull 21-22 mpg. I took it on a 1000-1200 mile round trip and only pulled about 26 mpg. Taking it on a 3 hr round trip to a city near me and only got 23 mpg. All these mpg's are hand-calculated, not by the OEM mpg display. I have an 03 Tacoma V6 4x4 and get 19-20 mpg's all day. A lot of you say that you get proper mpg's after the break-in period. How long is that? I really can't stand this garbage mpg....

Additionally to the bad mpg's, I get really hard shifting when I'm cruising at constant speed; it's almost like a bad stutter. I feel there's a bad fuel map but the dealer says that this is normal for a CVT but a CVT isn't even supposed to "shift" at all.... Anyway, I've driven many CVT's, mostly from Toyota, but they don't shift hard or stutter. And I also have that lurching issue which according to some members here is common with the power torque converter locking and unlocking at 10-15 mph. Again, Subaru says this is normal but will be alleviated between 1k and 10k miles. These problems are not getting any better with increased mileage despite only having 2k miles on it. Anyway, I wish someone would just crash into this POS right now because it's the worst new vehicle I've ever driven, sans the last generation Corolla.

What's your tire pressures? I have a 2019 Touring and in the suburbs I'm getting 27-28 city and have gotten (going downhill) 33 on the hiway. Tires are 36 front and 33 back. Just a thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have 17K miles on my 2019 and it still does that lock/unlock at 10 MPH or so. It isn't going to go away. I just got used to it and barely notice it any more.
I've heard the same story from three different stealership employees telling me that it will disappear. But real forum folk seem to confirm it won't disappear but you get used to it. I understand that and while I'm not fully okay with it, I accept it and realize I will probably just shake my head every time it happens.

What's your tire pressures? I have a 2019 Touring and in the suburbs I'm getting 27-28 city and have gotten (going downhill) 33 on the hiway. Tires are 36 front and 33 back. Just a thought.
It seems like it depends on the day and temperature. But anywhere from 33-36 based on the TPMS display. I have not tried to hand check them, although that is perhaps a good idea. I am not a proponent of over-inflating tires but if the TPMS is showing 33-36 and I'm only at 28-30, then I can see where I'm losing a little bit of MPGs, but that really shouldn't account for the 6-10 ish lost MPGs...

I've already taken it to the dealership to get checked over and they say everything is fine, even down to the jerking/stuttering. They say the vehicle has "a lot of torque" but I have a race car with 550 ft/lb and it doesn't stutter/jerk like this. So then they blame it on the CVT instead and my apparent lack of experience with a CVT. But in the end, my MPG's are what really annoy me the most with this car, and the stuttering and lunging are just icing on the annoyance cake.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ok thanks, it was a possibility.

As far as the gas milage and the CVT transmisson, I can only say that I do not have those problems at all. I only have 8300 miles on mine (2019 Memorial Day). Early on I noticed that it almost felt like a stick when I let off the gas pedal at low speed. That DID go away on its own.

I hope you get your issues fixed, I have a 2019, my daughter and cousin have 2020s and we all love them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok thanks, it was a possibility.

As far as the gas milage and the CVT transmisson, I can only say that I do not have those problems at all. I only have 8300 miles on mine (2019 Memorial Day). Early on I noticed that it almost felt like a stick when I let off the gas pedal at low speed. That DID go away on its own.

I hope you get your issues fixed, I have a 2019, my daughter and cousin have 2020s and we all love them.
I honestly should have tried to return it a 3 days after I got it, but everyone I know that has a Forester really loves it so I've tried to stay with it, like a bad/toxic relationship only to regret it more as time goes on. It's even worse now after missing the 0% APR window on the RAV4 hybrid. Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out the mpg problem since the dealer refuses to reflash the ECU(s) depsite multiple requests. I feel like something is wrong and I have quite an advanced background in vehicles, so it's not like I'm am entitled 16 year old despite probably how I'm acting.

If the thing just got better mpgs, I'd tolerate the stuttering and lunging more and likely wouldn't ***** at all...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Are there other dealers in your area? If so take it to one of them. And as an old guy (me not u) , if you really hate it get rid of it and get something else. Nothing worse driving A NEW car you don't like. If you can do it (key word is if) , take the hit and get something you like.

621 - 640 of 653 Posts