Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

601 - 620 of 653 Posts

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,103 Posts
Windshield broke this winter, am still not sure why. Fortunately insurance covered it this time, as it's an expensive repair!
Lots of problems with Subaru Forester acoustic windshields. Here is just one of many threads:
You can file a complaint with NHTSA re your broken windshield here:

·
Registered
18 Posts
  • Windshield broke this winter, am still not sure why. Fortunately insurance covered it this time, as it's an expensive repair!
The windshield cracks without warning under the slightest impact. I mean real crack! The glass is overly stressed so a small weak point will develop crack in minutes. Unrepairable crack that require a new window and recalibration of the eyesight which is mucho $$$. Look for NHTSA complaint site.

·
Registered
15 Posts
1. It is hard to keep clean on the outside. It requires more washes than other vehicles I have owned doing the same driving.

2. The windshield glass is not very good. I have 16000 KM and the windshield has many tiny pits on it from the sand / small gravel they put on the road. The pits are an annoyance during certain lighting conditions. Paint and headlight are good.

Everything else is good.

·
Registered
2020 Forest Sport
39 Posts
Transmission is horrible, very sluggish and slow to respond for my liking. Yes! The XT would have been sweet. All the constant beeping, almost self driving features are super annoying to me, I like to drive my own car not have it drive me.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
51 Posts
I have the 2019 Touring trim. Likes could be an awfully long list, so I won't try to list everything.

• Size: still relatively compact for better maneuvering and easier parking, better mpgs, but there's generous room for 4 adults, 5 if they're friendly. More than enough headroom.
  • Cargo area is really big and rear door opens wide, impressive space back there with rear seats folded, with the rugged rubber cladding and good height, it's enough for several dogs.
  • Lots of glass area with upright glass gives excellent outward visibility and lets lots of light in
  • I got all the bells and whistles for safety systems - this is a big pile of stuff, love all of that
  • Bright LED lamps that turn when the vehicle turns - great for my aging eyes
  • Very solid structure is quiet, inspires confidence, great crash testing results
  • Apple Carplay (or Android Auto) is the bomb - sophisticated Siri voice interface, GPS, hands-free calls and texting
  • Cornering is surprisingly flat - little body roll, especially for such a tall vehicle
  • I like the AWD, especially when doing direct entry into a fast highway from shops - no wheelspin during combined sharp turn of wheel and acceleration allows me to get up to speed quickly so I don't get rear-ended
  • It's convenient having the car connect to my home WiFi network to pick up software updates without going to the dealer
Dislikes:
  • Windshield broke this winter, am still not sure why. Fortunately insurance covered it this time, as it's an expensive repair!
  • I wish the towing capacity were better - even 2000lb would give more flexibility than 1500lb for small boats and teardrop camping trailers
  • Mileage is competitive for this size class of AWD SUV, but I wish it were better - lower gas bills and kinder to the planet
  • Storage portion of the console is awkward to reach into - a little too far back
  • Exterior styling - not bad, but could be better
  • Voice interface for the included GPS system stinks - fortunately there's Apple Carplay to save the day
  • The boxer motor sound - not thrilled with it, though not a big deal
  • The auto stop/start engine - doesn't drive me nuts like some people complain, but it's not really saving a lot of gas... and causes a delay that in busy intersections is unwelcome... I try to modulate the brake pedal to avoid shutoff or to provide early startup in those situations
Check out the auto stop eliminator

·
Registered
3 Posts
New member here. Have 2019 Premium. My input.

Well, as someone said - it hard to say if I like it or not. I own it for about 15 months now, has 18K miles.
So, dislike:
  • The quality of the metal/paint is very poor, simples touch and it has a dent, anything touches the car - deep scratch. Had a minor collision with the back of Ford, resulted in extreme damage to the rear quarter panel while Ford has a scratch and a broken lamp.
  • interior piece of the trim fall already
  • trim around sunroof deformed
  • windshield cracked after something hit it. It cracked the next day actually, nothing was visible after impact. After research it looks like it was some small rock as I don't even recall something hit it, but it was a tiny impact area so I assume something did.
  • loud on acceleration
- EyeSight, never had a car with safety features so like all of that

So, overall I'm more to get it sold but trade-in/sell quite bad so I'm stuck with it for the next few years.

Want to make some mods (lift, all-terrain tires) for some light offroading and make it more enjoyable to ride.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok, got mine just about 10 days ago now. Have about 500 miles on it now took it on a nice trip back to visit friends,family in Western NY this last weekend. about a 400 mile round trip with a trip to pick up some lawnmower blades in there... So far my only big dislike is the Auto Start/Stop feature..hate it. wasnt a deal breaker though... my change wouldnt be to eliminate it though. My change would be a switch to disable or enable it thats permanent not just for that trip..if its on its on..if its off its OFF..till I decide to turn it on like....not just till I turn the vehicle on/off///then it comes back on thats poorly thought out...If i turn something i dont like off.....I dont all of a sudden want it again as soon as i turn the car back on....

Other than that I like everything seats are good to go(I got the base Premium model), like all the "standard" safety features at that level..and I didnt have to pay for "packages of stuff I want but 1/2 of it I didnt need or care about....still like the old days when you could walk in and build your car the way YOU wanted...for instance....I would have been fine and liked the push button start and cross traffic alert in the 1 package.>>>BUT it also came with the power tailgate.....ZERO need for that my wifes car has it ive never found it useful or a "need" so i didnt pay for it..

But anyways so far I love it!

Ground Clearance
Seats
AWD
color even the looks I like
got 32 MPG round trip..coming from a Kia Borrego and or Honda Pilot that averaged 22/23 MPG best ever highway and about 21/22 MPG round trip this is GREAT!!

Dislikes:
Auto Start stop..really HATE it and would permanently disable it if I could...it wasnt a deal breaker..it doesn't make me dislike the car..it just sucks because its irritating.
lots of tech I really dont need but im POSITIVE the "younger" generation will love.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,103 Posts
Unfortunately the Autostop Eliminator requires Reverse Automatic Braking (RAB) which many Foresters are not equipped with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those who don't like the Auto-Stop feature... You guys probably did not try it on Chrysler Pacifica, that was a nightmare... I almost got few times into accident as it was delayed to start but car is off the brake by the same time and rolling back while waiting to engine to kicks in. So, in Forester it is at least good, not as good as in my wife's BMW but pretty good, annoying - yes, but at least it starts engine quite fast.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
144 Posts
I didn't really like the feature to begin with but I guess I've gotten used to it - do a lot of in town stop/start driving and it just has gotten less and less an issue to me.
Unfortunately, with a lot of these features that people don't like I think they are going to become more and more common on new cars

·
Registered
3 Posts
I didn't really like the feature to begin with but I guess I've gotten used to it - do a lot of in town stop/start driving and it just has gotten less and less an issue to me.
Unfortunately, with a lot of these features that people don't like I think they are going to become more and more common on new cars
Totally agree!
With the right implementations those features are useful and not annoying.

Like lane assistance. That was driving me crazy at first, because when you rolling 50 mph and try to change lane with no turn signal it literally takes you back in the middle of your lane... And you need to fight it to do the move. Now I always use my turn signal to avoid that :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
New to us 2019 Forester Premium, no Nav, the auto stop/start is set to 30 seconds, at times it's a full 30 seconds, other times it's 2-3 and sometimes in between. Not sure yet what condition is changing the delay

I found that with the AVH turned on, the stop/start feature is not tolerable, requires a step on the gas to get the engine going. With AVH turned off, just taking your foot off the brake starts the car, tolerable.

Not able to receive texts (Android), not android auto just BT, not with the desire to text back but to know if a call is needed.

Voice command prompts, would love to be able to eliminate them, haven't found a way too yet

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find the placement of the foot rest to be too close to the seat. I prefer to drive with legs straighter rather than at a 90º angle. My 95 Civic with manual has a very roomy foot well. The Forester looks much smaller. There's not enough room to accommodate the left foot anyplace else.

I am getting used to the differences, but the poorer visibility still irks me. The blind spots are in a different spot. The rear view mirror in the Civic gives me a 90% confidence level for passing and I then turn my head and look. In the Foz, I have to watch both the rear view and passenger side mirror. Glancing into the rear view does not require head movement, but the passenger side view does. I think that's what I find irritating. I never have passengers so I'm going to remove the rear head rests and hope that helps.

It's difficult comparing a low end car from the stone ages to a modern, electronics filled car. The rides are very different, too. I have a lot more respect for that old Civic. But I do like the Forester. Sitting up so high is very nice! And the plusses make up for any quirks.
I’ve had the same two vehicles, but the visibility of the Forester is easily superior to the CRV. Perhaps your neck is the problem? A quick sweep is all you need in the Forester.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
626 Posts
New to us 2019 Forester Premium, no Nav, the auto stop/start is set to 30 seconds, at times it's a full 30 seconds, other times it's 2-3 and sometimes in between. Not sure yet what condition is changing the delay
Can you describe the auto start/stop setting further? Is it an actual driver setting, or is this a system behavior you're experiencing?

...tried using the Subaru acronym for auto start/stop, ***, but our host doesn't like it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can you describe the auto start/stop setting further? Is it an actual driver setting, or is this a system behavior you're experiencing?

...tried using the Subaru acronym for auto start/stop, ***, but our host doesn't like it.
It's a car setting, same are where you set tire pressure from kpi to psi, you can set the duration for the stop to kick in, it's currently set to 30 seconds...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
124 Posts

I found that with the AVH turned on, the stop/start feature is not tolerable, requires a step on the gas to get the engine going. With AVH turned off, just taking your foot off the brake starts the car, tolerable.

Not able to receive texts (Android), not android auto just BT, not with the desire to text back but to know if a call is needed.

Voice command prompts, would love to be able to eliminate them, haven't found a way too yet
If you have AVH turned on and holding you in place with the engine off, stepping on the brake pedal will restart the car as well as release the hold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

601 - 620 of 653 Posts