Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

581 - 582 of 582 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
1. Auto high-beams: Wasn't it mentioned somewhere in this thread that the auto feature can be turned off? I'd much rather control my own high-beams, to be honest. Where I live, with a decent number of curves and hills, I feel as if it would be slow to react, anyway. I also don't use my high-beams very often, since I find the low-beams in both of our Subies to be very good and the streets marked well enough that I don't feel the need to light up the trees for no reason.

2. Low-beam aiming: The low-beams are adjustable, so I'm not sure what your dealer means when they can't, "change...the level of the low beams," as you say.

3. Auto start-stop: I'm still on the fence about this. I haven't driven a Subie with auto start stop, but have driven other makes. I find the feature to be anywhere from innocuous to a moderate annoyance. The start-stop in my parent's Benz is really good, for instance.

With that said, I would have to imagine that the starter in this application has to be beefed up a bit to hand the potentially exponential increase in duty cycles of its expected lifetime. I would be more concerned about the starter battery, which likely still isn't up to snuff when it comes to lasting in city conditions, with lots of starts and stops, resulting in a constant state of partial discharge.
Yes, the dealership can disable the auto high-beam feature. At first the folks at the service desk didn't think it could be done but I insisted the techs would be able to, sure enough they were. So now, our headlight switch (on the turn signal arm) remains in the "Auto" position and we have manual control of our brights. Much happier with this setup. I think they put way too much programming into the auto high-beam, it's trying to anticipate all kinds of scenarios like bicycle reflectors etc and ends up dimming when you want brights and sometimes doesn't dim when it should, super annoying.

The headlights are easily adjusted up and down, anyone who can turn a screwdriver can do it. Our dims were set too high from the factory and we kept getting flashed by oncoming traffic when driving at night. Haven't been flashed since I adjusted them.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester
95 Posts
I just bought a 2020 and I’m having the same problem. Is there a holder that can be bought that will fit?
I bought this - Search results for: 'Subaru JDM Coin Holder Fuse Box Cover - 2015+ WRX'
converted the fuse box area to a small compartment that will hold my garage door remote -- be sure to check for compatibility. (my 2003 Forester came with this feature; I was surprised and disappointed that my 2019 Forester Premium did not. However, it was a very easy install)

581 - 582 of 582 Posts