Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 514 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 19' Forester- Premium model. After 3500 miles, here's what I like and dislike about the car.
- CVT transmission. Live in the mountains and it always finds the perfect RPM for power.
- Power. From all the reviews I read, I thought this thing would be a dog. I can hit 90 with no effort on 7 percent grades.
- Better gas mileage than my 2010 Forester.
- Xmode and Hill Descent Mode- Use this a lot for winter mountain driving. There are several steep icy roads where I have to creep down at 5 mph.
- Adaptive Cruise Control. It made my commute to San Diego 10 times easier than in my old Forester.
-Big back seats. Front seats are very comfortable.
Dislikes
-NO WAY TO MANUALLY SELECT gears in the Premium model. Those of us who live in mountain communities always use engine braking to slow the car down. I only have Drive and Low (the low is a useless gear because it is not the right gear for engine braking). In my old Subaru, it was either 3rd or 2nd gear.
- The Cheap black plastic molding around the LCD and media screen- it shows the smallest amount of dust. Wish they would have used a different material.
- Android Auto...I use it but I think it can be improved.

Overall I love the car but Subaru really should put a way to manually shift gears like in the old Foresters using the gear shift lever. I don't care about sporty driving, I just care about maintaining control driving down the mountain.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
You could have bought the sport if that is important to you.

I used to love manuals, but now I am all about the paddles.

I’ll never buy a car I can’t control...for many reasons.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sincerely believed that there was a way to select the gears but the salesperson just didn't know. I thought the orange trim on the Sport model looked weird and I couldn't justify the price.

I have learned to use the cruise control to slow my descent but it doesn't work very well when following another vehicle on curves because the Subaru EyeSight will lose the car on a corner and speed up. Can't use it in the fog either.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Ya the orange trim is pretty bad (for me), but that is an easy, relatively cheap fix.

But yes, having paddles and using them effectively, can save a lot of wear and tear and $.

I only drive my 18 xt in S# with paddles. It’s great

·
admin
6,619 Posts
We really wanted to buy a new 2019 Forester. The lack of an XT option made it a no go. Crossed shopped most of the competition and then came back to Subaru. The Outback 3.6R is so smooth and responsive. We both love it. I need to build a 3.6 Forester after selling the XT.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SuperRu- my friend has the 3.6 in their Outback. Their quick and powerful engine. However, I love the new updated 2.5 direct injection and CVT. Like I said, its very responsive and even when driving up steep grades, I never feel a loss for power. It is certainly much stronger than my 2010 Forester with the 4 speed auto.

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
My daughter's 2008 Toyota shows the individual tire pressure of all four tires, plus the spare. My 2018 Forester has but one trouble light and even then can only sense four tires. With my utilizing a full-sized spare, doing five-way rotations at oil changes, I must pay to have my rotated spare tire's TPMS "relearned" at every rotation. This is both a pain and costly, considering that it's a new vehicle.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
justjeeping- Looks like a good update. If the car is connected to WiFi, will it find it and install it?
No...it will not. The WiFi feature is not active on Subarus. You can connect to a WiFi network, but it doesn't connect to a server or anything for that matter. Subaru calls it a FUTURE FEATURE that I doubt will ever become functional. All updates need to be done by the local dealer via a USB update unless your Suby has a factory NAV and then the updates are bundled with the map updates that come out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Overall I love my 2019 Forester - that said, the following dislikes are concerning for a car 5 months old. 1. Hatch periodically has to be reset (which I have not mastered). This is exceptionally inconvenient when picking people up or taking to the airport. Literally I have to put luggage in the trunk via the backseat. Huge embarrassment! 2. Dealer had to remove the luggage crossbar to resolve whistling noise. 3. AC did not work-dealer had to replace (2 days). Dealer provided loaner and communicated I would be charged for gas if the tank was not returned full (resolved when I confronted them). I am keeping the car, but struggle when asked if I love my new Forester.

·
Registered
123 Posts
One dislike that I have is that the left foot rest is way too small, making lengthy commutes a bit of an issue.
I find the placement of the foot rest to be too close to the seat. I prefer to drive with legs straighter rather than at a 90º angle. My 95 Civic with manual has a very roomy foot well. The Forester looks much smaller. There's not enough room to accommodate the left foot anyplace else.

I am getting used to the differences, but the poorer visibility still irks me. The blind spots are in a different spot. The rear view mirror in the Civic gives me a 90% confidence level for passing and I then turn my head and look. In the Foz, I have to watch both the rear view and passenger side mirror. Glancing into the rear view does not require head movement, but the passenger side view does. I think that's what I find irritating. I never have passengers so I'm going to remove the rear head rests and hope that helps.

It's difficult comparing a low end car from the stone ages to a modern, electronics filled car. The rides are very different, too. I have a lot more respect for that old Civic. But I do like the Forester. Sitting up so high is very nice! And the plusses make up for any quirks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wish the 19 Forester was quieter under acceleration

I find the 2019 Forester under acceleration a bit on the loud side. Not sure why. Another family member's 2006 Legacy is far quieter and it is equally underpowered.

1 - 20 of 514 Posts
About this Discussion
513 Replies
131 Participants
FelineFreddie
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing