Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Base Ice Silver Metallic
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Speakers Qty 2019 Forester Base

I was reading the specifications for the 2019 Base and the Premium Forester and it shows they have the same STARLINK™ 6.5-inch Multimedia Plus head unit. The Base model shows 4 speakers and the Premium shows 6 speakers. My question then is which 2 speakers are missing from the Base Forester? Can those missing speakers be purchased OEM from Subaru and placed in the Base Model without running new wires and such. Are the speaker grills already there and just missing the speakers under? While not necessarily the best sound, I would prefer to stay OEM if possible with these speakers. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
I have the Sport with HK but I do believe I’ve read somewhere in the forum that the front and rear doors are the 4 speaker locations. The front dash is empty but the grills are there. I also think that they said the connection is also there as well.
Hopefully someone can chime in and verify.

In the meantime, go ahead and pop off the front dash grills and check.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Base Ice Silver Metallic
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I have not purchased the Base Model yet, so I cannot verify unfortunately. I am my doing homework before the actual purchase :)

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i cvt
14 Posts
my 2018 base model had the wiring harness for the tweeters already in the dash but no tweeters hooked up. I bought the oem kicker speaker upgrade for all 6 speakers and I am pretty happy with how they sound. The new tweeters made the biggest improvement. I bet the 2019 is the same

·
Registered
19 Forester cvt
73 Posts
Haven't looked under the dash grills on the 2019 Base. Got the Fosgate upgrade for the front door speakers and amp, and those project nicely. The sound stage on good recordings projects to where it sounds like the dash speakers aren't absent. I believe the dash speakers aren't really tweeters, but are broad-range. I have found advertised these Harman speakers that they claim fit the 2019, but haven't been able to confirm whether that's an exact fit: https://www.harmanaudio.com/car-component-systems/INFINITY+PERFECT+300M.html .

·
Registered
2019 Forester
9 Posts
I have the 2019 Base model and its the dash speakers that are missing. For now I put JBL club 3020s in there which are 3 1/2's. I plan on putting components up front though so I will be replacing them with the tweeters that come with the set.

·
Registered
19 Forester cvt
73 Posts
I have the 2019 Base model and its the dash speakers that are missing. For now I put JBL club 3020s in there which are 3 1/2's. I plan on putting components up front though so I will be replacing them with the tweeters that come with the set.
Did it require anything special to get them to fit and connected?

·
Registered
2019 Forester
9 Posts
Did it require anything special to get them to fit and connected?
For the fit, no, the mounting holes for the speaker matched up perfectly to the screw holes in the dash. As for the connection, it was a different speaker clip then the one in the doors. So I just cut the wire before the clip and soldered the speaker wire that came with the speakers to the wires I clipped and it worked perfectly fine. I uploaded some pictures, not the best but it was hard getting the camera in there lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester
9 Posts
here's the color code too

Right Front (+) Light Green
Right Front (-) Blue
Left Front (+) Pink
Left Front (-) Violet

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anybody know how many screws the 2019 Forester has to remove the door panels? I know the last gen had 3 but it looks like the new gen has only 1 for each panel? Trying to change out the speakers front and rear. Thank you

·
Registered
2019 Forester
9 Posts
the doors have two screws to remove the panels in the base models. One in the arm rest handle and one in the door handle, the rest are just the plastic snaps around the edges.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
631 Posts
Agree with Insane. No reason to use tools. The shop was using tools on my panels and scratched the paint. Once the two screws are out, use your fingers to grab the plastic panel at the front door jam (speaker location) area. Just pull then work your way around the panel. Pop fasteners holding the panel in place. To remove the panel unclip a couple wire harnesses and the two cables for the door handle/lock.

The rear door panel is pretty much the same.

·
Registered
19 Forester cvt
73 Posts
Thanks again to Insane E for the polarity info especially. Plan to use it tomorrow. Got a pair of Rockford Fosgate Punch P132 3-1/2" full-range speakers, which like many brands in that size have two wings to be screwed down by. I've removed a grill and verified that the speaker fits, and also that a plug is wired there. Unfortunately it's a plug where there appears to be no availability of its mate on the market. Subaru is basically using Toyota speaker plugs, but the one for the dash speakers is a different plug than in the doors. Picked up plugs by RedWolf that would be right for the doors, but not the dash. It does look like the dash plugs are the same in the 2019 Forester as in 2018 (and for some recent Toyota models like the 4Runner), but unless you're salvaging them off old speakers, not available separately. But at least the wires fit over the speaker's spades on the other end (which I can't say for similar Metra adapters I tried first). So I'll cut both sets of plugs, and as soon as a crimping tool and connectors arrives (I do not want to solder in that tight space), I'll put the speakers in place and hope (1) that the wires are live (but why not?), and (2) that the spectral profile isn't so wildly different from the stock dash speakers as to make the Fosgate DSP's profile of the cabin wrong.

·
Registered
19 Forester cvt
73 Posts
Put 'em in. They work well. Ended up going -1 on treble, +1 on bass rather than flat; with that the spectrum sounds about right. The center posts on the speaker do push the grills up slightly, but not so it's unacceptable to my eye. I did find using crimp-on ends as I did that the in-dash wire was too fine by itself for the size ends I used, but twisting in other wire with it fixed that.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts