Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester (standard)
5 Posts
Just got the 2019 Forester -base- trim level with 17 inch aluminum wheels and all weather mats.

But as much as I love the SUV, I really think the wheels are the ugliest version yet Subaru has designed. What can I do?
Which wheels/rims will fit? Are there aftermarket ones I can buy? What CAN I do to fix this? Here is one that looks just like mine..
2019 Green forester.jpg

·
Registered
2019 Forester
19 Posts
I agree 100%. Also have base trim with alloy wheel/roof rail package. Like the roof rails but think the wheels look terrible. Was looking at putting on black steel rims and am also considering having the alloy ones powder coated black. Shiny silver just doesn't look right on Jade Green with black trim. From what I've gathered so far the wheel specs are as follows:. 7J X 17 ET48, 5 X 114.3 (#boltsXbolt circle), 56.1 center bore, 48 offset. Only steel rims I've come across so far that match up are OEM and they seem way over priced.

·
Registered
2019 Forester (standard)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys... really want to change these wheels. Also, it is my understanding that 18" wheels will fit this SUV as well (I think the models higher up the line have 18" wheels)? If any rims I look at have the same bolt pattern and made for Subaru, can I get either 17"or 18". I would assume?? the 17"wheels will get better gas mileage or am I wrong?? I am really a newbie when it comes to this.

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring EyeSight CVT
6 Posts
My first stop would be the parts department of my local Subaru dealer. The last time I asked about a spare set of wheels they literally had a shed full of them. Some were from trade-ins. Others were take offs when a customer upgraded and were essentially brand new. They might be interested in using your rims as partial credit towards a better set or buy them outright to use when they get a trade-in with a bent or damaged rim. I currently have a 1992 SVX with 17" OE wheels/tires from a 2013 WRX (5x114 bolt pattern) and the winter tires for my 2015 Forester XT are mounted to a set of 2012 Impreza OE 17" wheels (5x100). The set on my Crosstrek were from a 2011 Impreza Outback Sport. Most Subaru wheels made in the last decade have an offset between 40-50mm so it they are 5x114 they should work on your 2019. If you are unsure use an online tire source like Tire Rack. It also isn't a bad idea to check eBay or craigslist. If I were you I'd be looking for WRX wheels since I think they look the best, have the right bolt pattern, and there are quite a lot out there that get replaced without many miles on them.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
489 Posts
The wheels you purchase will require the correct bolt pattern. 5x114.3. Either 17 or 18 inch rims will work. In fact you can likely use any size rim as long as you can clear the disc caliper. My cousin is running 15" wheels on his 2015 Forester.

What matters most is trying to match the overall tire size to what you have now. Height and width matters most as both of these will effect clearance from the fenders. It is also important to know that you can usually increase teh size and width by about 1" but this will change your speedometer reading because the revolutions per mile will change. As the tire diameter increases, the speedometer will report a slower than actual speed. You may be going 64mph when your speedo says 60mph. More likely to get a ticket if not careful.

There are some online calculators that can help you do this. My favorite is https://tiresize.com/calculator/

For example, your car has a 225/60 R17 tire. The other Forester models use a 225/55 R18. Wheel width is the same and the diameter for the 17" package is 27.6" and the 18" package is 27.7" These are as close as it gets and you will not observe any differences on the spedometer or performance.

Of course your driving style and modz can also impact your choices. My cuz has a 2" lift and likes to offroad and rock crawl, so using 15" wheels with huge sidewalls allows the tire to rub on rocks and not the wheels. He never bashes curbs either, so if your partner, like mine drives over curbs, then you are more likely to get rim rash on the 18" wheels and not the 17" and smaller wheels.

Hope this is making sense.

There are many aftermarket wheels readily available. I really like the black wheels on these cars. I have a set of 17" winter wheels and tires and the stock 18" wheels that I will use for summer driving. If I get a lift and go with bigger tires, I will mount these to the 17" rims so I can maximize sidewall height and overall performance.

The first photo is with stock 18" wheels 225/55 R18.

The second photo is an inexpensive (about $115 each) set of black aluminum Dragg 17" wheels from Discount Tire. I had these on my 09 Forester. What I love about these wheels is that they have a dual bolt pattern and many aftermarket wheels do. These wheels have the 5x100 and 5x114.3. Therefore they will fit nearly all modern Subies. I modified the caps and installed Subaru blue overlay decals.:nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
750 Posts
Just got the 2019 Forester -base- trim level with 17 inch aluminum wheels and all weather mats.

But as much as I love the SUV, I really think the wheels are the ugliest version yet Subaru has designed. ... Here is one that looks just like mine..
OMG, those are fugly!

X2 :)

My first stop would be the parts department of my local Subaru dealer. The last time I asked about a spare set of wheels they literally had a shed full of them. Some were from trade-ins. Others were take offs when a customer upgraded and were essentially brand new. They might be interested in using your rims as partial credit towards a better set or buy them outright to use when they get a trade-in with a bent or damaged rim. ..... If you are unsure use an online tire source like Tire Rack. It also isn't a bad idea to check eBay or craigslist.
Great ideas too! :)

·
Registered
2019 Forester (standard)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all of you who replied. I feel I can move forward with many of these suggestions. Once again, great ideas!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts