Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19' Limited
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, probably a dumb question but I don't like how that wall to the right of the driver's foot kind of encroaches on the space. I don't know if it's plastic or metal or important or not but was wondering if I could take a hammer and sort of just bang it till it's an inch or two flatter?

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,610 Posts
Doubtfully any mods. You're limited by how much closer you're going to get towards the transmission housing/what is sitting there. Any hammering you do is only going to bend/stretch/weaken the metal in that area.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
If that area could have been widened, I would suspect Subaru would have widened it. Bad idea to start hammering on the floor panel especially not knowing what is directly behind it, clearances, etc. You could damage something on the other side, cause contact which could result in rubbing, bumping, rattles, etc. .....and weaken the metal as mentioned.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have to agree with @Kean that reducing clearance could create new problems. The CVT nestles in there somewhere so Subaru would have given you all the space it could.
From my auto days we did a rework on a GM vehicle where we pulled the carpet back and cut away a section of underlay to allow a bit more room for the side of the foot. A light coat of contact cement held the carpet back directly to the steel . An option without structural flaying.

·
Registered
19' Limited
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to agree with @Kean that reducing clearance could create new problems. The CVT nestles in there somewhere so Subaru would have given you all the space it could.
From my auto days we did a rework on a GM vehicle where we pulled the carpet back and cut away a section of underlay to allow a bit more room for the side of the foot. A light coat of contact cement held the carpet back directly to the steel . An option without structural flaying.
Structural flaying, is that a technical term or medieval? :) That's a good idea, probably help a little.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I will be cutting away some underlay from the area next to my left footrest. A recent long trip has revealed that the trans tunnel is encroaching just a little on my left foot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts