Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know the location of the 19 flasher?
I bought a smarttap to stop the hyperflash since replacing halogens to LED.

having difficulties locating. not sure if its even compatible..though diode-dynamics had smart tap on the 'purchase this with led to prevent hyperflashing'.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got a message back. Looks like the flasher relay is part of bcm. Load resistors only i guess since 2017. The website still suggested the smarttap while buying Leds. Fyi for people changing out turn signals

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
624 Posts
Lots of people use TapTurn to get rid of hyperflashing. Lots of info online. I use it in my 2018. There are threads on subaruforester.org about it too. Don't know about 2019 but for 2018 and earlier you can use TapTurn. Just a module that replaces the blinker module under the dashboard.

TapTurn - home

·
Registered
160 Posts
After posting my question, I checked out their site and noticed under Flasher Setup it specifically states BCM Controlled (resistor only). At this point I'm not really wanting to tap into the wiring just yet, but the desire for LED turn signals is so strong. If I do add resistors, I'd like to add them on the rear signal near the taillight housing but it seems like there's somewhat limited space back there. What's your plan?

·
Registered
624 Posts
If I had a 2019 and there wasn't an easy way to prevent hyperblinking, I would wait until a solution was devised. (That solution will not necessarily be from Diode Dynamics.) Good LEDs are more reliable, perform better, and are more elegant than incandescent bulbs. But extra resistors are a horrible inelegant workaround. I'm trying to think of an analogy, and all I can think of on short notice is rolling coal. Probably not a great analogy.

The best way to install the extra resistors is to mount them to a beefy piece of metal to dissipate the heat. If you don't have nice convenient mounting holes already there, you'll have to drill holes, use metal straps, or thermal epoxy or something. This vehicle modification is in addition to modifying the wiring harness.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, not really wanting to tap it myself. I might change them back to the incandescent for now and wait. Although, talking to diodedynamics, they said that forester has been bcm since 2017. annd they have yet to figure out a product to allow for it.

For now, it is just the bulky resistor.

I suppose the demand will increase as the lights look soooo much better as led. Ill change mine out for now.

·
Registered
624 Posts
talking to diodedynamics, they said that forester has been bcm since 2017
In the 2018 there is a body control module that does a bunch of stuff. But there is also a flasher module.

What happens in the 2018 is when you tap the stalk and let go, the BCM picks that up and blinks the turn signal 3 times. If you replace the incandescent turn signal bulbs with LED ones, you get hyper blinking.

So, you replace the module under the dash with the TapTurn. (This is not made by Diode Dynamics.) Now the hyper blinking is gone.

However, when you tap the stalk and let go, the BCM intercepts that signal and blinks the turn signal 3 times.

Then what you do is go to the dealer and tell them to use Subaru Select Monitor (essentially a fancy code reader the dealership uses) to turn off the one-touch turn-signal blink function in the BCM. This takes 5 minutes for the dealership to do.

Now you can use all the functionality of the TapTurn module. You can set how many blinks you want. I have mine set to 4. You can set wig wag, double blink/strobe, Euro style parking lights, and a lot of other stuff. Now, when I press the hazard button, my signal lights blink twice for each strobe. You can look on YouTube for people demonstrating how each function looks.

That's how it works on the 2018. Yes there is a BCM, and the 2014 to 2018 are (I assume) all similar. But there is still a flasher module, at least in the 2018.

There might have been some difference between 2014-2016 and 2017-2018, because the 2017-2018 might have LED taillights etc by default, and an option for earlier years. But I don't know if that would change the blinker module, because the stock turn signal bulbs were still incandescent in my 2018.

Check out the manual for the TapTurn (URL above) to see the functionality of each feature. I got the fully-featured one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
@Botnik
I looked at the TapTurn info a little today. I'll have to dig into it further. As far as turning off the one-touch lane change 3-flash signal, I can remove that function in the vehicle settings.
@frijoles
I was OK with adding resistors I bought from VLEDS (VLR-6) on my other rig as they seemed like high quality units. However, the size of it is quite large and I doubt it'll fit as well behind the taillight of the Forester. And that vehicle was 8 years old at the time (10 now) so I didn't mind messing with it as much.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
316 Posts
I have had a TapTurn module
In all of my other Subarus. I contacted the fine folks about installing it into my
2019 Forester. Scott was very helpful. I received the following response from him:

It is OK to try a TapTurn module you already have in your Forester, if it fits, wear it and find out.

I can predict an interaction that might occur with lane departure... If the vehicle has visual lane-keeping you might get a lane departure warning when you disable the factory 3-blink and cross lanes while the stalk is not engaged in that direction. That's all stock function, you can check this theory using your stock flasher and a dealer visit to help turning off the 3-blink setting. Then do a "tap" (get just one blink because the setting is off) then cross lanes... do you get the warning? You probably will.

Then install TapTurn and try it's multi-blink feature while crossing lanes. If the car complains with a lane departure warning while TapTurn is blinking, then perhaps leave car's 3-blink setting in software enabled but follow the steps for cutting 2 wires between BIU and flasher as the alternate method for allowing TapTurn touch feature to work. Doing it this way will spoof the car into thinking it is still controlling the tap function and it will quell the lane departure warning if you exit your lane within a 3 blink timeframe.

The car may also be monitoring rear signal bulbs for blinks to ensure signaling is happening while changing lanes to quell the lane departure warning if signaling is happening by any means. In this case, either method (turning off the car's 3-blink and using TapTurn's multi-blink setting value of your choice -- or -- cutting the 2 wires) should equivalently quell the warning, so long as blinking is happening.

I think you can also just turn off the lane departure warning if you don't like it or don't need it. Then either method above for using TapTurn's tap setting can be used interchangeably.

Cheers
Scott
I have not yet put the TapTurn into my Forester.

·
Registered
624 Posts
As far as turning off the one-touch lane change 3-flash signal, I can remove that function in the vehicle settings.
I wish that setting was user settable in the 2018. I have had a lot of problems with the local dealership and avoid going there whenever I can. I almost cut my harness but decided to let them plug into my car.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I get lots of false positives from the lane-departure warning system (system that beeps), because it picks up shadows, ruts, road repairs, whatever. I haven't bothered to notice whether the false positives still occur while the one-touch lane change is blinking. I leave the lane-keep assist (system that actually moves the steering wheel if it thinks you're departing your lane without signalling) turned off. (This is a 2018.)

And yes Scott is helpful. I thought something was wrong with my TapTurn module, and after some emailing the solution was simply to use shorter taps. :) If you hold the stalk at the first detent (without going past) too long, the system will let you determine the blink time instead of using its own counter.

·
Registered
624 Posts
@frijoles CF18 (LM449) would be a module standard, and you can get a TapTurn for the 2014-2018 Forester. The relay is the device inside that takes an electrical signal and switches another circuit on/off.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,726 Posts
Has anybody verified that BCM control of directionals does indeed implement fast blink on low current draw, or are we just assuming that they implemented it that way?

Modules can do great things, but they sure can get in the way of mods.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has anybody verified that BCM control of directionals does indeed implement fast blink on low current draw, or are we just assuming that they implemented it that way?

Modules can do great things, but they sure can get in the way of mods.

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but according to our records, the 2019 Forester doesn't use the CF18 flasher the SmartTap is designed to replace. Starting in 2017, I believe the Forester switched to BCM flasher-control.
///
I've notified our website manager, and he's looking into it. Unfortunately, the only way that I know of to modify a BCM-controlled vehicle (if it's possible at all) is to actually reprogram the computer itself. "

pms from diode dynamics. I also did some looking around and it seems like GM cars (silverado forum) said reprogramming BCM was required to prevent hyperflash.

·
Registered
2016 Forester
898 Posts
"I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but according to our records, the 2019 Forester doesn't use the CF18 flasher the SmartTap is designed to replace. Starting in 2017, I believe the Forester switched to BCM flasher-control.
///
I've notified our website manager, and he's looking into it. Unfortunately, the only way that I know of to modify a BCM-controlled vehicle (if it's possible at all) is to actually reprogram the computer itself. "

pms from diode dynamics. I also did some looking around and it seems like GM cars (silverado forum) said reprogramming BCM was required to prevent hyperflash.
Botnik above with 18 forester uses Tapturn, so DD must be wrong in their assessment of 17+ don't use it.

Just look under your dash to see if there is one, the module should be pretty obvious out in the open, look for photo of previous gen to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I changed my turn-signal bulbs and blinker module at the same time, assuming that I would get hyperblink. I didn't actually verify myself that hyperblink would occur. Then I read your question and thought "uh oh" maybe I didn't need to buy the blinker module.

This morning I looked on YouTube for "forester led hyperblink" and found lots of videos of 2014-2018 Foresters (and other Subaru models) hyperblinking with LEDs and showing how they got rid of the problem with a smarter module.

At least one video showed that the hyperblinking didn't occur when using the hazard blinker (at that point in the video I think he had two LEDs and two incandescent installed) but did happen with the turn signal. I believe (but haven't looked at the schematic) both functions use the same module, so maybe with all four (or two and two) bulbs on, there's enough current drawn to not cause the hyperblink.

Again, it may be different for the 2019. I don't have a 2019.

·
Registered
624 Posts
///
For my 2018 there is a BCM and there is also the blinker module. Everything works exactly as documented by Autowindow (makers of the TapTurn) and in threads on this website. The Diode Dynamics rep you messaged with above mentions some beliefs about BCM-controlled vehicles in general, but what we are looking for is information specific to Foresters. It sounds like DD haven't tested on 2017 or later Foresters.

Here is the Subaru support page from Autowindow:

TapTurn Convenience Signaling for your car

Everything for my 2018 Forester worked exactly as documented there.

You can look to see if your 2019 has a blinker module. Turn the turn signal on, listen for the clicking. Look around under the dash to find what is clicking. Or if it's not coming from under the dash, find the source of the clicking. If Subaru thinks the driver needs to hear the clicking, it will probably be around the driver's seat somewhere. If you find the clicking coming from a certain area, you can touch various things to see if you can feel some vibrations in time with the clicking. You can take the module out or just take pictures and investigate further from there.

Looking through this thread it looks like Supasta has some TapTurn modules and a 2019 Forester. If the 2019 has incandescent turn-signal bulbs and hyperblinks when those bulbs are replaced with LED ones, he might investigate and report back.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts