Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience yet with the new Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail? Couldn't find any info on here with a search. Looks like it was just recently introduced later this year and was designed specifically for CUVs (and is the OE tire for the Toyota RAV4 TRD Off-Road).

Highly considering for a 2019 Sport, as it comes in the stock 225/55r18 and also a 235/55r18. My assumption is the slightly wider 235 should still be fine on stock wheels, right? Still smaller than the 235/60r18 Yokohama and Hankook other members are having success with recently, but closer to OE size.

What do you think, stick with the 225/55r18 or give the 235/55r18 a shot?

·
Registered
2010 Forester A
24 Posts
One of the heaviest, if not the heaviest AT tire. Fantastic tire by most accounts, but not necessarily the best option on a 4cyl SUV if you want to maintain your on road performance and fuel economy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that for the new "Trail" version of the Wildpeak tires or the regular A/T? From what I've read the "Wildpeak A/T Trail" was just released within the last few months and is purpose-built for smaller crossovers, unlike the regular Wildpeak A/T larger truck tires. The Wildpeak A/T Trail in 225/55r18 is only 30 pounds, about the same as the Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 in the same size.

Was just wondering if anyone has installed the new tires that might have some first impressions to share, as I haven't found any reviews online, with it being so new. And the 235 size has me intrigued, to get a bit more width without going up to a 60r18.

·
Registered
2010 Forester A
24 Posts
I did not realise that no. If that's the case then it changes things significantly. I did all my research about 8 months ago, probably wasn't released at that point. I know it's tough with newer tires and not much word on them yet, good luck with your decision making!

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
651 Posts
Wider is not often better off road, especially in sand or snow. It just means more stuff to push out of the way, i.e. frontal resistance, plus there is the extra weight. When airing down most of the extra contact patch is from the length, not the width.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your encouragement cleangetaway. I'm usually not the one to be a guinea pig for new products, so still on the fence about just giving them a try or waiting to hear from whomever else takes the plunge first. Lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very good point, slothman! Thanks for the reminder, as admittedly I've been getting a bit caught up in the wider 'looks' cooler, so must be better phenomenon.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
172 Posts
Is that for the new "Trail" version of the Wildpeak tires or the regular A/T? From what I've read the "Wildpeak A/T Trail" was just released within the last few months and is purpose-built for smaller crossovers, unlike the regular Wildpeak A/T larger truck tires. The Wildpeak A/T Trail in 225/55r18 is only 30 pounds, about the same as the Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 in the same size.

Was just wondering if anyone has installed the new tires that might have some first impressions to share, as I haven't found any reviews online, with it being so new. And the 235 size has me intrigued, to get a bit more width without going up to a 60r18.
Just an FYi, the Geolandars i doubt are 30 lbs, the 235/60 R18 is listed around 32lbs when in fact they are 34lbs exactly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Okay, folks here are the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails in 235/55r18 on OEM wheels (2018 FXT; 18X7 et48). I didn't want to do a lift, but I wanted some more meat on the tires. I know a lot of folks love the Yoks but I have to admit... these Falkens are fantastic. As you guys know OEM for the SJ XTs are 225/55r18; so I went a smidge wider... Why? Just looks man... Seriously... I am that guy... the 225's are lighter and are only two less bucks per tire... but I wanted some meat on dem der tires... So here are some picks. The tire diameter is a smidge more than oem225 duellers... Falken 235's @ 28.1 inch dia / rim width range 6.0-8.5 inch. Duellers 225's @ 27.76 inch dia / rim width range 6.0-8.0. Now the Falkens are much heavier... the 235s are 34 lbs, the 225s are 30lbs, the Duellers are 26 lbs. But I don't give a damn :D Sorry for the crap pics... (not first pic below the trunk was loaded down with tires) but here ya go! So no rub @ full lock. Very quiet.... crazy quiet for A/Ts... granted they are not as aggressive as the traditional wildpeaks... but hey for the Foz I will take it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Okay, folks here are the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails in 235/55r18 on OEM wheels (2018 FXT; 18X7 et48). I didn't want to do a lift, but I wanted some more meat on the tires. I know a lot of folks love the Yoks but I have to admit... these Falkens are fantastic. As you guys know OEM for the SJ XTs are 225/55r18; so I went a smidge wider... Why? Just looks man... Seriously... I am that guy... the 225's are lighter and are only two less bucks per tire... but I wanted some meat on dem der tires... So here are some picks. The tire diameter is a smidge more than oem225 duellers... Falken 235's @ 28.1 inch dia / rim width range 6.0-8.5 inch. Duellers 225's @ 27.76 inch dia / rim width range 6.0-8.0. Now the Falkens are much heavier... the 235s are 34 lbs, the 225s are 30lbs, the Duellers are 26 lbs. But I don't give a damn :D Sorry for the crap pics... (not first pic below the trunk was loaded down with tires) but here ya go! So no rub @ full lock. Very quiet.... crazy quiet for A/Ts... granted they are not as aggressive as the traditional wildpeaks... but hey for the Foz I will take it.
View attachment 524564
View attachment 524566 View attachment 524567 View attachment 524568 View attachment 524569 View attachment 524570 View attachment 524571 View attachment 524572 View attachment 524573 View attachment 524574
I promise English is my first language :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome, thanks Carl! That's exactly the look I'm after...I want to be 'that guy' too! Haha

And thanks for sharing your feedback about the low noise. Great to hear. I know it's probably too soon to ask, but would love to hear how they perform in the rain (where I am the roads are wet more than dry).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Awesome, thanks Carl! That's exactly the look I'm after...I want to be 'that guy' too! Haha

And thanks for sharing your feedback about the low noise. Great to hear. I know it's probably too soon to ask, but would love to hear how they perform in the rain (where I am the roads are wet more than dry).
I am in ABQ and when it rains, heavy.. we have flash floods... Driven through the heavy stuff... The tire performed flawlessly... Both highway doing 70+ and flooded back roads... Legit A/T tire. I can't wait to see how they do in the winter (as they have a snow rating!l. Beleive it or not we had to drive through a couple of snow storms last year heading north... The Dueller had me white knuckling it the whole time. Of note is I am only down 1mpg. I was at 28.5 now sitting at 27.6. What amazes me is how much better these are even on the highway than the Duellers... The Duellers always felt a little squirrelly.... Maybe because the sidewalls are so soft on the Duellers.... I dunno how to describe it .. but the Forester finally feels planted to the ground. Cheers man!

1 - 20 of 159 Posts