Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
Competing vehicles use sonar with adaptive cruise control & forward collision braking.

System details
  • standard EyeSight Driver-Assist System
Overall evaluation
Applies to 2019-20 models
Superior
SUPERIOR

• This system meets the requirements for forward collision warning.
  • In the 12 mph IIHS test, this vehicle avoided a collision.
  • In the 25 mph IIHS test, this vehicle avoided a collision.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
I use these two products because they work.

The Subaru Syesight system benefits from the rain beading and blowing off the windscreen.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,517 Posts
@RawLand - You "use these two products because they work"..
A couple of questions - Do you need both or can you use any cleaner? How long does the treatment last.. Like one rain and reapply, or weeks or??
What does it cost and where do you get it.
Will I ever stop asking questions?
Yes.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,836 Posts
That's why I say that I'm not sure if you are serious or not.

Your posts read like a man offering water to someone who is dying of thirst. But that's okay. I will check out the product you are shilling here.You don't have to push it so hard.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
Too funny. I offer a solution to a real problem, which was identified in the OP. People ask questions which I answer.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

System details
  • standard EyeSight Driver-Assist System
Overall evaluation
Applies to 2019-20 models
Superior
SUPERIOR

• This system meets the requirements for forward collision warning.
  • In the 12 mph IIHS test, this vehicle avoided a collision.
  • In the 25 mph IIHS test, this vehicle avoided a collision.
  1. If you read IIHS further, you'll see that several competing vehicles received the same rating.
  2. IIHS doesn't test vehicles on rainy/snowy roads with tractor trailers driving by.

·
Registered
2020 Forester, Crystal While Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather
45 Posts
I searched for "automobile radar inclement weather," and randomly picked one of the top results. Happened to be a Mazda3 info site, and it had these warnings (just a sampling out of a long list of caveats and warnings).

• Vehicles ahead with low vehicle height and thus less area for reflecting radio waves.
  • Visibility is reduced due to a vehicle ahead casting off water, snow, or sand from its tires and onto your windshield.
  • The trunk/luggage compartment is loaded with heavy objects or the rear passenger seats are occupied.
  • Ice, snow, or soiling is on the front surface of the front emblem.
  • During inclement weather such as rain, snow, or sand storms.
  • When driving near facilities or objects emitting strong radio waves
As we already know, EyeSight comes with its own list of such exceptions. No technology is perfect in this area. Driver alertness and decision-making is still required for safe outcomes.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
726 Posts
Competing vehicles use sonar with adaptive cruise control & forward collision braking.
But many perform worse in testing than Eyesight, plus radar, lidar and laser systems are not necessarily immune from being blocked by spray and from other issues as Mercedes1, Mercedes2, Nissan have discovered.

Bottom line: If you can't see then don't expect the technology to do any better. Drive to the conditions.

·
Registered
2016 Forester Auto
6 Posts
Time to take it to the dealer.

EyeSight stops working in heavy rain or direct sunlight. Below freezing, EyeSight will stop working only if the windshield still has frost on it but others won't disengage.
No experience with interstate or with tractor-trailers.

That being said, it has happened to me twice that out of nowhere, everything that you mentioned stops working, dash lights up. I just pull over the vehicle, turn it off, wait for 10 seconds and restart. All is reset. Both the time it happened, it was going below 10mph. Last time it happened, I plugged in OBD reader but Torque Pro pulled no codes. So it was baffling.
Have gotten the brake lamp switch recall? This started happening to me and increased in frequency until I got that recall work done. Now it hasn't happened since (4 months).

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
14 Posts
Have 19 Forester since an year now. Eyesight disabled only 2 times. Once it was at sunset and other time dirty windshield because of morning dew. I have driven in snow storms, rain with no other issues.

·
Registered
2019 Forester - Touring
6 Posts
Has anyone noticed how eyesight disengages when you're on a major interstate, and one, or several tractor trailers drive next to you, in moderate to heavy rain, or worse yet, with wet snow / below freezing temperatures?
Let alone, eyesight dies, stability control, cruise control, and other handy items just completely disengage when you need them most.

Plus, on bright sunny days, if you accelerate 5+ MPH to pass someone, the cruise control automatically hits the brakes, after the pass is made, apparently trying to piss off the driver you just passed.
I was on interstate in a misty freezing on the windshield event and eyesight disengaged. I noticed some ice/fog on the windshield in front of the eyesight lens which may have triggered the shutdown.
I turned the defrost on to a high setting and within a few miles eyesight again engaged. I am concerned that other safety functions within the eyesight program are also disengaged.
Definitely an issue that Subaru needs to address.

·
Registered
2015 Forester cvt
2 Posts
Has anyone noticed how eyesight disengages when you're on a major interstate, and one, or several tractor trailers drive next to you, in moderate to heavy rain, or worse yet, with wet snow / below freezing temperatures?
Let alone, eyesight dies, stability control, cruise control, and other handy items just completely disengage when you need them most.

Plus, on bright sunny days, if you accelerate 5+ MPH to pass someone, the cruise control automatically hits the brakes, after the pass is made, apparently trying to piss off the driver you just passed.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,432 Posts
Competing vehicles use sonar with adaptive cruise control & forward collision braking. This enables both systems to work, even in the rain, wet snow and direct sunlight.
That helps the driver to keep their eyes on the road, rather than address beeping noises and three warning indicators on the instrument panel as tractor trailers pass close by.

Where I live, roads are well treated, and snow doesn't accumulate on the roadways unless it's snowing hard. The roads are usually covered in salt & beet juice (yes, really), or sometimes brine, which makes them wet when it snows, but that's about it. Many other States are not like this.
This is why Subaru is updating its ES system for 2021 to include radar enhancements. The optical based system is a great system and was an innovation at introduction. A combination camera/radar system will be a nice enhancement.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Subaru uses twin cameras to manage all collision prevention, lane keeping and adaptive cruise control functions. If the top of the windshield is blocked by snow, ice, water or fog, the systems CANNOT function.
So you must watch where your going like we used to do years ago.
All vehicle manufacturers strongly discourage using cruise control on congested or wet/icy roads. The Subaru adaptive cruise controls are disabled when the Eyesight cameras don't have a clear view of the road ahead. This is a deliberate design to improve safety.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Touring CVT
8 Posts

I’ve had that happen a few times but it is in heavy Florida downpours and setting sun hitting the cameras directly. Makes sense to me that if I can’t see then the camera can’t either. At least the vehicle tells us it is temporarily disabled.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Touring CVT
8 Posts
Agree
There have been two situations when Eyesight gave out on me, and I fully understand why that would happen to an optically based system.

- Driving directly into the setting sun.

- Driving in deep fog.

Both involve external factors and have nothing to do with the car itself.
Agreed. The car is doing what it is supposed to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I searched for "automobile radar inclement weather," and randomly picked one of the top results. Happened to be a Mazda3 info site, and it had these warnings (just a sampling out of a long list of caveats and warnings).

As we already know, EyeSight comes with its own list of such exceptions. No technology is perfect in this area. Driver alertness and decision-making is still required for safe outcomes.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Disengage cruise control manually until beyond the pinch point. I wonder how many fatal accidents could be linked to having cruise control engaged during a pinch point at hwy speeds, let alone while the roads are not dry?

21 - 40 of 64 Posts