Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Forester Limited CVT
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read on this forum and also seen some advertisements for local glass shops stating they will recalibrate your driver assist safety system (EyeSight in our case) with a windshield replacement.

My question is what exactly do they do when they recalibrate the system? Why is this even needed? The glass is really close to the cameras and I wouldn't think there would be much of a difference of what the cameras would see from one windshield to another. This may be a stupid question but I'm really curious what is actually done when your system is recalibrated.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,297 Posts
I am guessing that most Eyesight calibration is just a check that the distances and angles of the lenses are correct. I would not want my auto-stop capability to be 10 feet off, for instance, which would find me in the trunk of the car ahead of me. Likewise, the lane-centering stuff needs clear long-distance optics and angles.

I don't think calibration is going to vary much but know that some people need a bit of "prism" correction in their glasses and even a fraction of a degree makes a difference. I got a PGW brand windshield for our '17 when we had it replaced at the local glass place, and they set up grids and targets in front of the car to check aim. It's probably not a huge mystery, but like programming key fobs and tire pressure sensors, it's a bit of a profit center as well. I imagine in the future it will become more of a commodity but again, having the auto-stop calibration being wrong is not someplace I'd ever want to be.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
822 Posts
@CrystalPistol The Eyesight cameras have adjustments for vertical and horizontal positioning. This is probably where the calibration can possibly be necessary, as it uses the images from the two cameras to compute distances, in the same way your eyes work together. If one camera isn't seeing straight due to a minor variation in the glass, it can prevent the system from accurately calculating the distances needed to control the collision avoidance, adaptive cruise control, etc.

·
Registered
2020 Sepia Bronze Premium
21 Posts
I don't think calibration is going to vary much but know that some people need a bit of "prism" correction in their glasses and even a fraction of a degree makes a difference.
I have a prism in mine. Last Rx it was done incorrectly. I felt like a drunk trying to walk. I got as far as the car when I decided that it wasn't me. hahaha

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,664 Posts
Why not simply call/email either a dealership or reputable glass repair/replacement service and ask, instead of just speculating?

I doubt it’s some well-kept secret..,

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring - silver
75 Posts
I had glass replaced by Safelite on my previous car (a Genesis) and noticed immediately that the car was allowing me to cross the lane markings on one side but keeping me far from the other side. I feared the feature had been “ruined”. I went to the dealer and had the recalibration done. It was definitely necessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts