Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 7 year 70,000 mile warranty when I purchased my Forester this week. I am having second thoughts about it now. I bought a Subaru because of the quality (and a number of other reasons). Wanted to get the forum's thoughts on the Subaru extended warranties and what everyone's experiences are with them. Many thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,918 Posts
Subaru's extended warranty is one of the best, and is a good idea to have it, if you plan on keeping the car past 3 years.
There are many very expensive parts that could hurt your wallet if they fail.
If you decide to sell the car yourself, the warranty is also transferrable, which makes it a safer bet (and worth more) for the person buying your car.

About the only reason not to buy the warranty, is if you plan on trading the car before your factory warranty runs out.
In that case, you wasted your money, because although you get a pro-rated refund, it will still cost you for the years used, and it doesn't do anything more than the factory warranty while that is in effect.

You can sometimes find a better warranty deal than where you purchased the car, and it doesn't matter where you buy a Subaru warranty.
You can also buy it at any time while the factory warranty is still I effect. Typically, they send you a letter with an offer to purchase it just before the factory warranty runs out.
If you can find a better price, you could cancel and get a refund, and then buy it at a better price, provided you can find one, but is it worth the trouble to do that....
It's up to you.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great thoughts! Thank you for your perspective! The dealer mentioned that the eyesight module alone is $7,100. Eek!

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
291 Posts
3 years from purchase date or 36,000 whichever comes first. For your vehicle it is too late.

·
Registered
09 forester
241 Posts
I bought a 100K for both the 08 Outback, and 09 Forester, got our money back twice. The forester needed head gaskets at 80K. The Outback, new control arm bushings, rear struts, front axles twice. It was good insurance. that was 10 years ago, can't speak for the cars today.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,201 Posts
Good insurance. Even if you only use half of it you got the peace of mind for half price. I bought it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
31 Posts
We just bought a 2019 and already have a couple issues we need to bring to the dealer for. Where is the best place currently to buy the warranty? We're gonna pick it up. Love the car, but don't have much confidence in it going 100K without issues.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
854 Posts
Don't waste your money on extended warranties, $100 deductible every time and they claimed that the crappy driver's door panel arm rest was wear and tear lol. I'm about 190lbs and they arm rest is plastic inside and crushed in less than two years of ownership, dealer said wear and tear, wth? Also didn't want to replace my torn lower control arm bushings until I pressured the heck out of them and asked them if I should just prematurely wear out my new tires!

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
267 Posts
We just bought a 2019 and already have a couple issues we need to bring to the dealer for. Where is the best place currently to buy the warranty? We're gonna pick it up. Love the car, but don't have much confidence in it going 100K without issues.
You car is warrantied for 3 years and 36k miles. Your power train is warrantied for 5 years and 50k miles. IMO extended warranty is a waste of money. I can understand if you were purchasing a car manufacturer that has less than stellar reliability or dependable reputation but Subaru’s have legendary reputations for their cars in safety and reliability. I made a mistake by purchasing an extended warranty on my 2018 Subaru Crosstrek and never used it. I’m at 36,000 miles and not a single issue with the car. As the brand suggest, these cars a bullet proof.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,325 Posts
Powertrain warranty is 5 years/ 60k miles (not 50k miles).

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CWP/Brown 2018 Crosstrek Limited White/Gray
203 Posts
I got the extended warranty with my 2019 Forester, 1st time I ever did that. There's alot of new tech in the 2019s way more than my daughter's 2015. I bought the warranty for that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You car is warrantied for 3 years and 36k miles. Your power train is warrantied for 5 years and 50k miles. IMO extended warranty is a waste of money. I can understand if you were purchasing a car manufacturer that has less than stellar reliability or dependable reputation but Subaru’s have legendary reputations for their cars in safety and reliability. I made a mistake by purchasing an extended warranty on my 2018 Subaru Crosstrek and never used it. I’m at 36,000 miles and not a single issue with the car. As the brand suggest, these cars a bullet proof.
Powertrain warranty is 5 years/ 60k miles (not 50k miles).
Yeah even better.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
3 Posts
I also bought the 7 year/70k warranty. This is the first time I’ve ever got an extended warranty on any of our vehicles. But with all the high tech items, etc we decided to get it just in case

·
Registered
267 Posts
I got the extended warranty with my 2019 Forester, 1st time I ever did that. There's alot of new tech in the 2019s way more than my daughter's 2015. I bought the warranty for that.
Make sure you read everything on that contract. Some extended warranties don’t even touch the electronics or the engine. Just miscellaneous stuff like paint, wheels tires, windshield and others etc.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,325 Posts
If you are going to buy an extended warranty, make sure it is a genuine Subaru warranty and not some third party warranty sold by the dealer. Many of the latter are not worth the paper they are printed on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up a 7 year 70,000 mile warranty when I purchased my Forester this week. I am having second thoughts about it now. I bought a Subaru because of the quality (and a number of other reasons). Wanted to get the forum's thoughts on the Subaru extended warranties and what everyone's experiences are with them. Many thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
We bought it on every Subaru we have owned and have made back our money. We drive a lot and the normal 3yr 36k is burned up before year 2. I have not had any engine problems, however there have been other areas such as lift gates, moon roof, transmission with 80k on it (housing had a spiral crack they couldn’t explain), visor mirror clouded on pass side, wash sprayer, wiper fluid sensor,. We sold the car at 120k 4 years old and it’s still being driven. Other than the trans and moon roof everything was small stuff that added up. These didn’t even have eye sight. We also get the 0 deductible for 200 bucks more. It’s cheap insurance one way or another. Made the mistake. Or having on a Mazda 3 back in the day and it blew they rubber motor mount more times that I would like to admit. It was a bad design. I only paid 3k or less for 8y 100k gold.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Shop around, there are dealers that make money on Extended warranties based on volume not profit. They aren't a set price and there's room.

When we bought our 2019 OB, the finance guy asked about it and I said no thanks was buying from another dealer that was much cheaper- he asked how much and then matched it without thinking twice.

Definitely worth it if you don't pay MSRP for it.

·
Registered
2017 Touring CVT
126 Posts
Extended warranties in general are open to endless debate and I'm not about to weigh in on that maelstrom. I'll just say that as a retiree on a fixed income I've taken the tack of trying to insure against unknown risks that could generate significant cost. I could budget the cost of the Gold Warranty and am happy that I won't be confronted with an unexpected significant expense for my Forester for the next 7 years. Ditto for car insurance generally, health insurance, etc. As a young man I was a risk-taker; now it's different.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts