Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if theres a flex fuel kit for the 2019 forester?
im not going for performance gains, although itll be nice, but in terms of cleaner engine.

My neighbor has the 2016 wrx with fa20f, and showed me a pic of his valves at 30k, looked like a bbq grill at the end of a party. He recently just installed flex fuel and after cleaning. Took another pic after 10k of his valves, and the valves still sparkles.

discussion on use of ethanol vs gas, pollution, any insight on maintenance for di, etc.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
different byproduct after combustion. did a bit more reading, not sure if theres more pollutants with ethanol vs gasoline either.. lots of reading in pollution during production and going into the use of the product and the emission from the vehicle. didnt get too into it yet, still at work between patients.

i suppose based off your response, cant explain how his valves were still clean after 10k.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Fuel system has to be designed for the alcohol. It is corrosive.
The injectors need to flow more and you need higher compression ratio all that to get the same performance, run cheaper fuel and get less mpg... pointless mod

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
33 Posts
I'm running e85 in my 1995 Integra. So far after 3 years there are no issues. Ethenol absorbs water and has water since it is too costly to remove all the water from ethenol. E85 itself is not corrosive. If you do run E85 it is not recommended that the vehicle sits for a long period of time. In order to do the conversion, you will need larger injectors, a higher flowing fuel pump, sensors and tuning for the ECU or a standalone ECU, All which is very expensive and not available just yet for our cars. As cool as it would be to do e85, it's not really practical as it would completely void your warranty.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
724 Posts
different byproduct after combustion

i suppose based off your response, cant explain how his valves were still clean after 10k.
Cleaner burning could maybe reduce deposits on the exhaust valves, but would have no affect on the intakes. If the intake valves are clean then did he switch to a less volatile oil, begin changing it more often, fit a catch can, start using an upper cylinder cleaner such as Seafoam, or maybe illegally vent the PCV system to atmosphere?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he said hes got the catch can at 20k?, and tried seafoam and didnt clean it enough

duno, just here trying to learn some stuff from people whose is running e85. I suppose our di engines arent meant for performance. maybe should be discussing this at nasioc

thanks for the replies

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
E85 itself is not corrosive.
True, and as long as it is a daily driver/gets regular fillups, there shouldnot be any corrosion issues.
Corrosion does become a factor when the vehicle sits and the fuel attracts water , as well as starts breeding acetobacter ( vinegar-acetic acid -producing bacteria)..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts