Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
15% ethanol contamination of gasoline is coming fast. It is the only way the Renewable Fuels Mandate can be met. My concern is for the damage to any engine and fuel system not designed to handle that contamination. My concern is also for how dirty ethanol burns and the accumulation of the resulting carbon inside the combustion chamber.

Which 2019 Subaru engines are designed to handle the 15% ethanol blend gasoline?

BTW: 20% ethanol contamination is forthcoming as well.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RFA Analysis: Automakers Explicitly Approve E15 for More than 93% of New 2019 Vehicles

For the first time, Subaru is approving the use of E15 in several of its most popular models for MY 2019, including the Ascent, Crosstrek and Impreza.
“We applaud Subaru for approving E15 in many of its new models for the first time, and we will continue to work with the few remaining automakers who do not yet list E15 as an approved fuel,” Cooper added.

Source: https://ethanolrfa.org/2018/10/rfa-...ve-e15-for-more-than-93-of-new-2019-vehicles/

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 2019 Impreza and Crosstrek have the 2.0 engine, the Assent has the new turbo 2.4 engine. So, it appears those are now rated for the 15% ethanol blend.

Yet, the photo of a 2019 Subaru forester is used for an article discussing the new E15 approval by Subaru for certain models in 2019.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seeing this kit helps me feel better.

My concern is that, like so many autos, like thousands of Lexus vehicles ruined, that Subaru might have several components which will be destroyed by E15. This STI/WRX kit allowing the burning of E85 makes it appear to be only a couple components and computer programming that will need to be changed, if anything at all.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,565 Posts
It's not a mandate. The new deregulation simply allows it to be sold year-round. E10 isn't going anywhere. Please quit fearmongering.

While the EPA may approve it for vehicles 2001 and newer, many manufacturers do not. As you saw, in Subaru's case, not until 2019 models.

E15 must be labelled separately. It cannot be sold as 'regular'. Will there be confusion as more gas stations adopt it? Of course. But it's not replacing E10.

*edit* Also, this has been discussed several times on this forum. Please search. https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/gtsearch.php?q=e15

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DFW had countless auto engines ruined when there was a gasoline distributor who mistakenly blended some 15% ethanol for delivery to gas stations.

The pile of Lexus and BMW autos at repair shops with voided warranties led to that distributor and numerous chain gas stations paying for all the destroyed engines and fuel systems.

This was a couple years ago. The lesson I learned is that when the coming 15% EPA mandate for non-attainment cities, like DFW, and the anticipated 20% mandate, requires prudent preparation.

No additive will ameliorate the ethanol contamination of gasoline. None, zip, zero or nada. I don't care what Startron promotes.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
E15 is at many gas stations now. Blue handle covers at the station across the street.

E15 is the only means to meet the Renewable Fuels Mandate minimum requirements. Not today, nor tomorrow, but soon E15 will be the regular gas at pumps. It isn't fear-mongering to prepare for that day I need to refill the gas tank traveling across the country and E15 is my only option.

I clearly remember when E10 was an option, and plenty of ethanol free gas options were available. Not anymore, anywhere near here now.

But then, if you trade autos every year of two, what does it matter? As the forced switch to E15 approaches, trade autos.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,565 Posts
... soon E15 will be the regular gas at pumps.

Will it happen some day? Maybe. There's a pretty decent chance since the ethanol and corn lobbies are powerful. But saying "soon" is meaningless and nothing but speculation. So, yes it is fearmongering.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,351 Posts
Will it happen some day? Maybe. There's a pretty decent chance since the ethanol and corn lobbies are powerful. But saying "soon" is meaningless and nothing but speculation. So, yes it is fearmongering.

@RawLand appears to have rather extreme views on several automotive-related subjects... I suggest taking his postings with a grain of salt...

Reactions: sneefy

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suspect that with the Subaru E15 approval for certain engines, there is comfort knowing that the major components will not corrode with higher than E10 levels of ethanol.

When the switch does come, it may be at most software and injector changes.

Searching press releases and news I see that the ethanol lobby, stymied by the small refinery ethanol exemptions, is now pushing for E30. Crazy.

I'll continue with gasoline additives to combat the additional carbon buildup caused by ethanol. Sadly, the reduced gas mileage offered by ethanol contamination will continue, and get worse as the % increases.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X RWD JDM 6mt
453 Posts
^^^ I've gone past that and added to the ignore list.

Before I'm completely free of this, just to note that the Cobb FlexFuel kit is entirely for performance applications, and all of your fuel system (except the steel lines in the chassis) needs to be replaced with correct parts before using it.
I have done FlexFuel on many Subaru's, including my own STI that made over 440whp.
Fuel pump, injectors, lines, rails (maybe) regulator, etc... The whole lot needs a change for E85.
So your everyday run of the mill Subaru is not capable of E85 as-is, and I'm just talking components, not even going to delve into tuning.

·
Registered
18' 2.5 Premium 6MT
180 Posts
Surely there will be an Amsoil product available soon to counteract this scourge.
You need a jug of 90wt gear oil (Amsoil no doubt), add 3 drams per 2.7 gallons of fuel in every tank. Then re-route your fuel system to flow through an glass fibre oil filter (Amsoil of course). This in addition to a K&N air filter and Amsoil every oil change (every 3,000 miles) will mitigate all effects of E15. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts