Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

The emergency braking system on my 2019 Forrester fired while the car was operating at highway speeds, and there were no other vehicles that I noticed that were in range of Eyesight. The emergency braking system turned off after a second or two, and the sudden application of the brakes did not cause a rear end collision. Has anybody experienced an unexplainable emergency braking system malfunction?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
233 Posts
The only time I've had it kick in was when someone suddenly jumped into the lane in front of me. Albeit I wouldn't say they necessarily cut me off. This feature is fairly sensitive.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
473 Posts
I have not had such an experience in the nearly 18 months that I have owned my 2019 Touring...

Every time mine has activated (rarely happened, I would add), there’s been something clearly visible and potentially within range...

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
257 Posts
I have had foresters with eyesight since 2015. Eyesight will sometimes react to trees or trash bins on curves. Otherwise always made sense, although it is sometimes more reactive than I would have been. The version in the 2019 is more sophisticated than my 2015.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
66 Posts
I've had eyesight engage emergency braking over exhaust smoke on a cold early morning, when I pull in too fast in a parking space, and once over nothing over 6 months of ownership.

As long as you remain in control of your vehicle (e.g. steering, braking, or accelerating) as you would with a vehicle with no such safety systems, you won't be reducing your speed. It's definitely annoying though, especially with the nasty braking sound it makes, but the beeping has potentially saved my skin a few times. Especially when people feel the need to suddenly go 20 under when cops are around.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
676 Posts
Eyesight shouldn't just slam on the brakes, but first issue a sound and visual warning a second or so before applying light braking before going to maximum brake force a few seconds later. It can be cancelled by accelerating, manual braking, or turning the steering wheel. Eyesight needs to be managed just like every other aspect of driving. It is not a set and forget system.

Most of the problems people are reporting come down to not understanding how the system works and its limitation, or it exposing poor driving habits.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,273 Posts
@RColin - There was a recent poster that got in a wreck when automatic braking caused him/her to go off the road in the snow.
It doesn't matter that you are driving along with no reason for the system to activate potentially or actually cause a wreck.

It must be your fault because it's a Subaru according to some of the feedback... I doubt it.
Several others have reported the same thing.
File a complaint with the NHTSA . That's how recalls get started.
The problem with computer controlled systems is that they glitch.
Ever had your computer lock up for no reason?
A car "safety" system can (and by your report, does) have the same propensity for failure.
The cure is turn it off, turn it on and it's all good again. So what is there to fix?
Don't waste your time going to a dealer because they will tell you NTF.
Hopefully the next time you don't have a dual trailer semi plowing into you from behind.
That's why you should file a complaint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts