Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2019 Forester sport for about 7 months now. About a week after buying it I stated getting horrible upper back pain when ever I drive. I mean everytime! usually within 15 minutes or so. low back feels great. Just mid/upper back issues. And it goes away as soon as I stand up out of my car. I've never had this issue with any car before. I've tried adjusting the seat and steering wheel in every way imaginable with no relief. I've tried my own homemade pillow remedies, and had no luck. Before I start dumping money into trying expensive fancy cushions I just wanted to see if anyone else has this issue. I'm 5'4'' 150, and the seat has an inward curve right in the center of the back rest. I'm thinking maybe I'm just too short for my back to contour properly to the seat back?? I'd love some input!

·
Registered
298 Posts
@bcanoso You have also adjusted the Lumbar I presume. No issues here. I would suggest a possible chiropractic appointment. Could be just your spine not liking the contour of the seat (helping keep back aligned and comfortable). Just a thought.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’m 5’5”. I had to adjust the way I sit. Newer cars don’t have head restraints that fold all the way back to the point where they’re perpendicular to the ground. They lean forward. (The Forester is less bad than most new cars actually.) This puts the entire back in a awkward position. In my previous cars, I would always have my head leaning back against the head restraint. Now, I have to lean forward slightly so that my head is about an inch in front of the restraint. It took about a week to get used to this change but I am doing so much better. I don’t know if this is related to your situation, but try adjusting the position of your head relative to the head restraint. And then give your body at least a week to adjust to any changes. That would be my advice at least. Seeing a doctor is not a bad idea too though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Also, I’m sorry to hear this has happened. When I got my 2013 Impreza, my body was aching for a while until I had professional adjustments made to the seat. It stinks when you get a car you’re excited about and it causes discomfort. However, having the seat professionally modified might be an option.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wasn't sure there was such a thing! I'll look into. Thank you
I used this place: https://customupholsteryplus.com/
I knew exactly what I wanted though. I wanted the tilt of the seat cushion adjusted. If you don’t know what you want, maybe have someone knowledgeable about car seat ergonomics watch you sitting. Actually, make sure you have read a lot about car seat posture. Also, there might be a back cushion or support that you can try. Or with physical therapy and strengthening exercises, the issue may go away. And the last option is to have your seat removed and a custom one put in. The bottom line is there’s a lot of options, but you should not under any circumstances in my opinion have to be in prolonged pain because of your car unless there is a serious underlying issue with your back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@bcanoso You have also adjusted the Lumbar I presume. No issues here. I would suggest a possible chiropractic appointment. Could be just your spine not liking the contour of the seat (helping keep back aligned and comfortable). Just a thought.
[/QUOT
A butt pad costs less than $20
I think that will be my first plan. buy a tall butt cushion and boost myself up to see if my back hits in a better spot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm 6'5" I always have my seats high in the front, low in the back to take up the length of my legs. The Forester is the first car where I'm sitting with the seat up high front and back and I still have headroom!
I feel like i my have purchased a tall person car, and I am not a tall person lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
I feel like i my have purchased a tall person car, and I am not a tall person lol
The Forester has excellent user-submitted comfort ratings. As long as there isn’t something seriously wrong with your back, I definitely think you can get comfortable. It’s just trial and error.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my 2019 Forester sport for about 7 months now. About a week after buying it I stated getting horrible upper back pain when ever I drive. I mean everytime! usually within 15 minutes or so. low back feels great. Just mid/upper back issues. And it goes away as soon as I stand up out of my car. I've never had this issue with any car before. I've tried adjusting the seat and steering wheel in every way imaginable with no relief. I've tried my own homemade pillow remedies, and had no luck. Before I start dumping money into trying expensive fancy cushions I just wanted to see if anyone else has this issue. I'm 5'4'' 150, and the seat has an inward curve right in the center of the back rest. I'm thinking maybe I'm just too short for my back to contour properly to the seat back?? I'd love some input!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I Recently leased a 2019 Forester. I have spine and neck issues also. I am 5’3”. After my first road trip (about 200 miles), my neck and back were killing me. I was so upset.

I realized the head rest curved too far forward so it was holding my neck in such a way that my back wasn’t positioned correctly even with the lumbar support.

I had to turn the headrest around and now my neck and back are fine.

I hope you find a solution soon so you can enjoy your car!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts