Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I have recently upgraded my old Impreza to a 2019 Forested 2.5i-S (AU Model).

My model has the Driver Monitoring System which seems to work fine however the Driver Profile for the radio and screens picks up from the bluetooth.

My wife and I are frequently in the car together and it seems as though the Driver Profile just loads up for whichever bluetooth manages to connect first. Is there a way to link the Driver Profile to the DMS recognition? If not, does anyone have a solution on how to better manage the driver profiles?

Cheers,

Jack

·
Registered
30 Posts
@Jack08 In the driver profile section, you can have it add a facial scan to the driver profile. Then it will select the profile according to the face behind the wheel instead of sensing which phone is present.

·
Registered
537 Posts
@Jack08 In the driver profile section, you can have it add a facial scan to the driver profile. Then it will select the profile according to the face behind the wheel instead of sensing which phone is present.
I'm 99.9% sure you're mixing up the features of the Driver Monitoring System in the Touring with the Driver Profiles in the infotainment. If you have the ability to set the Infotainment Driver Profile using DMS facial scans, please send a screen shot of this functionality as I don't have it in my '19 Touring.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hi all,

I have recently upgraded my old Impreza to a 2019 Forested 2.5i-S (AU Model).

My model has the Driver Monitoring System which seems to work fine however the Driver Profile for the radio and screens picks up from the bluetooth.

My wife and I are frequently in the car together and it seems as though the Driver Profile just loads up for whichever bluetooth manages to connect first. Is there a way to link the Driver Profile to the DMS recognition? If not, does anyone have a solution on how to better manage the driver profiles?

Cheers,

Jack
The only real solution for this is to simply change the Driver Profile once you get underway and realize the undesired one is active.

There's 2 ways you can do this if you have the profiles activated by a Bluetooth phone and the undesired phone is currently connected, go to the phone screen and change the currently connected phone, and the associated Driver Profile will load.

Or, you can just press the Home key then Settings, and the selection to activate a different profile is the very first menu choice. It will even let you change this while in motion.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm 99.9% sure you're mixing up the features of the Driver Monitoring System in the Touring with the Driver Profiles in the infotainment. If you have the ability to set the Infotainment Driver Profile using DMS facial scans, please send a screen shot of this functionality as I don't have it in my '19 Touring.
What I did is...
Ignition On.
Press the Info button on the steering wheel repeatedly until you get to the screen that says "Press and hold for settings" or something like that. Press and hold until the menus display.
Using the up/down buttons under the left side of the steering wheel and the middle "i" button to select, navigate to the DMS setting and select it.
Turn User Recognition On.
Select option to register a user.
I used my name, same as I did in the Profile section.
Selected Facial Scan and saved it.

Now when I get in the car and start it, the top screen says "Hello John" and it selects my Driver Profile, adjusts the seat, mirrors, which phone to pair to (mine vs hers), radio presets, etc to how things were set when I saved the settings in the User Recognition menu. If I cover my face, it does not do this and just says "Hello" when I start the car. Seat/mirrors stay where they are and my radio presets do not show up.

I added my wife as a second user and it adjusts all those settings to her preferences when she sits in the drivers seat and starts the car.

I have the H-K 8" head unit with Nav, described as the "High" model in the recent software update article elsewhere on the site here.

I thought this was a really cool feature, but after a few months turned User Recognition off because it just wasn't reliable enough for my taste. If I did not face forward and sit still for a few seconds after getting in and starting the car, it might not recognize me. Sometimes when the bright sun was at a bad angle and creating harsh shadows or glare, it might not recognize me. And I think it would time out if I unlocked the car but spent a minute putting something in the back before getting into the drivers seat and starting the car.

·
Registered
537 Posts
What I did is...
Ignition On.
Press the Info button on the steering wheel repeatedly until you get to the screen that says "Press and hold for settings" or something like that. Press and hold until the menus display.
Using the up/down buttons under the left side of the steering wheel and the middle "i" button to select, navigate to the DMS setting and select it.

Now when I get in the car and start it, the top screen says "Hello John" and it selects my Driver Profile, adjusts the seat, mirrors, which phone to pair to (mine vs hers), radio presets, etc to how things were set when I saved the settings in the User Recognition menu. If I cover my face, it does not do this and just says "Hello" when I start the car. Seat/mirrors stay where they are and my radio presets do not show up.

I added my wife as a second user and it adjusts all those settings to her preferences when she sits in the drivers seat and starts the car.

I have the H-K 8" head unit with Nav, described as the "High" model in the recent software update article elsewhere on the site here.

I thought this was a really cool feature, but after a few months turned User Recognition off because it just wasn't reliable enough for my taste. If I did not face forward and sit still for a few seconds after getting in and starting the car, it might not recognize me. Sometimes when the bright sun was at a bad angle and creating harsh shadows or glare, it might not recognize me. And I think it would time out if I unlocked the car but spent a minute putting something in the back before getting into the drivers seat and starting the car.
So... long story short, yes, you are mixing up some of the functions between the "Driver Monitoring System" and the Starlink Infotainment "Driver Profiles". 😒

The DMS does not have any facility for selecting which phone to connect to nor radio presets. The infotainment system will try to connect to the last phone connected first, then search for others if not found. THEN, if you have a Driver Profile set up in the infotainment that is linked to a cell phone, it will then update to the Profile associated to the phone, which will update your radio presets, etc..

The COMBINATION of the DMS and Driver Profile automates virtually all of the preferences and settings in the car, but there is no way to force a specific cell phone to connect based on the DMS if both you and your wife's phone are in the car. You have to switch the connected phone manually in the Phone settings screen, and when doing so, the associated Driver Profile will activate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What I did is...
Ignition On.

No ill will, but it was funny imagining you covering your face when starting the car. Maybe because it's Monday and I'm procrastinating doing work, but that was pretty darn funny. Cheers and thank you for the detailed account. I'm on the hunt for a thread for my own Subie infotainment issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So... long story short, yes, you are mixing up some of the functions between the "Driver Monitoring System" and the Starlink Infotainment "Driver Profiles". 😒
Ahhh, that would help explain what sometimes appeared to be "a mind of it's own" as regards to the seat & mirror memory. That makes for 3 separate and individual ways to have the seat/mirror memory activated. And they might conflict with each other. At least, mine did since I had inadvertently saved slightly different positions for each one as I experimented and learned the systems.

Memory buttons on the door.
Linking an access fob to seat/memory position.
Facial recognition on the Driver profile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
JohnCNA
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing