Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of installing a STI flexible strut tower brace on my 2019 Forester Sport. I was wondering if anyone else had installed one and if it made a difference in the handling? Was it worth it?

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
1,365 Posts
Welcome Ed
I have a front and rear strut brace the rear was installed first and the car felt a bit tighter through the bends some weeks later I installed the front and im not sure if its made a difference , I should be able to feel it as im @500hp and capable generating big cornering forces.

However it is pleasant on the eye in the engine bay .

I would think if you want better turn in a stiffer rear sway bar would be in order if you can get one for your year car

·
Registered
2019 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sure does look great. Just got the car. I'll have to drive it on some up and down curves and that should convince me to install both. Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
115 Posts
What is the difference between the Subaru STI flexible strut brace vs a solid strut brace such as the one made by SSD?

Is on design more favorable or perform better than the other?

Big bucks for the flexible. The solid design is less costly.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
39 Posts
What is the difference between the Subaru STI flexible strut brace vs a solid strut brace such as the one made by SSD?

Is on design more favorable or perform better than the other?

Big bucks for the flexible. The solid design is less costly.
I have the Subaru STI brace on my 2012 SH. There is a reason Subaru went with this design, it is to give the benifit of more responsive steering without the steering kickback and harshness that comes with a solid design. In my opinion it's worth the difference. These braces are more about steering feel and precision rather than actual performance enhancement.
The flexible brace does not transmit all the little road irregularities that a solid one might.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5xt Automatic
28 Posts
There is a huge difference between the pillow ball brace and a solid brace. It is especially noticeable if you drive through crappy roads or light offroad. The pillow ball allows the shock towers to flex in the z axis, while holding the shock towers from flexing the the x and y axis, thus improving handling while still providing a compliant ride.

I was very sorry when sold my STi pillow ball brace and switched to the HKS Kansai solid brace. The solid brace is just so harsh for the road in my area.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
37 Posts
I had the exact same question... This morning I decided to order the STI strut brace from a local Subaru dealer for $537+HST here in Ontario... Hope to get it tomorrow and install it over the wkd!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
33 Posts
Nameless makes a strut tower brace for the SK chassis. Much cheaper than the STi one but still dont know if it's worth spending any money on it. Let us know how it feels on the SK chassis please.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT CVT (High Torque)
178 Posts
Was it worth it?
I installed one in my 17 SJ XT, and I love it! It made a noticeable difference in cornering, and basically no difference in harshness.

I liked it so much I installed the flexible draw stiffeners (1 front and 2 rear), and flexible subframe support. The draw stiffeners allow twist, and the subframe support has hinge bushings to allow vertical movement. Together, they made a difference as well, giving the car a more solid and luxury SUV feel. I think some of that feel is already baked into the 19 SK, but I bet the tower would still help.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
37 Posts
Just got mine installed for my '19 Forester Sport; my car is completely stock, except for a set of new Michelin Premier A/S tires.

Installation was very straightforward; test drove few km afterward and couldn't really tell a difference when turning or cornering...Let me drive it a bit more this wkd and see...

After driving for a bit more, accelerating during a turn seems to be better in terms of control...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
31 Posts
I have the SSD brace and I can tell a difference in turns and straight line highway when there is a cross breeze. I can understand the flex as posted above when off roading but I noticed zero issues even when going over rocks with one tire in the air!

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
414 Posts
Thinking of installing a STI flexible strut tower brace on my 2019 Forester Sport. I was wondering if anyone else had installed one and if it made a difference in the handling? Was it worth it?
I had the fixed brace in my 09 Forester and the STI flexible brace in the 2019 Forester Sport. I can certainly tell the difference with handling. The vehicle is much stiffer when corning. A simple test is to shake the steering wheel at 65mph. A non-braced car will tend to roll from side to side, like a 1978 Cadillac, which results in a loss of traction at the wheel depending on the speed and corner angle.

Adding a brace will be noticable in the Forester. Do the test. With brace mounted rock the wheel. You will notice the car will tend to shimmy side to side, like a sports car, instead of rolling. This results in increased traction.

Interestingly, strut tower braces are controversial. Some people claim they offer very little advantage in some cars. I would agree. Add a brace to a Porsche, or some other sporty car and the difference will not be appreciated in this simple driving test, because some cars are well designed for performance handling. For the Forester, it makes a big improvement.

I cannot tell the difference between the flexible and stiff bar. The claim is that the flexible bar will not engage on easy turns, thus providing more comfort. Not sure I could ever tell when it does not engage. I think the difference between stiff and flexible is less important compared to having one at all. So, best price may be the selling point for you.

Has anyone made a rear brace for the 2019 yet?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
37 Posts
Thanks for letting us know about the Cusco Rear Bar :)

Got mine installed today... The bar costs $290CDN... I would have purchased their front solid bar if I had known earlier...

After installation none of the styrofoam fits unless you cut accordingly...

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
554 Posts

Got mine installed today... The bar costs $290CDN... I would have purchased their front solid bar if I had known earlier...

Bit late to this party, but if it's anything like the one they designed for the 14-18 Foresters, the Beatrush rear tower bar is the one that fits with the least fitment issues of the surrounding foam bits.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
13 Posts
I have had the STI bar on my 2019 Sport for about 3 weeks. There is a definite difference in road feel. Not harsh but not as excessively damped as most power steering. There is a difference in some cornering but with no baseline or consistent tests it is all anecdotal.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
13 Posts

What is the driving experience now?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts