Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester CVT
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to always do my own changes but it’s getting a little more difficult as I get older.

My Forester looks pretty easy compared to other vehicles I’ve owned, especially if I replace the plug with a drain valve.

I have about 1100 miles now and usually have done early changes in the past at about 2K miles, then 5K thereafter.

I’m thinking about trying the first one myself to see how it goes.

Shell has a new 0W-20 oil that I’m thinking about trying.

Any thoughts on this and oil choice?

Thank you so much.

Joe

BFE4114C-4DE7-4EF3-A50B-5AC83427F731.jpeg

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
430 Posts
Do your own! It's really easy on a Forester. Filter on top of the engine and enough ground clearance to not need a lift/jack/ramp to drain the oil. This will save you a ton of money on each change.

One word of caution: The Subaru factory is notorious for the drain plug being tight and hard to get loose for the first change. That was true on my 2014 and my wife's 2019. Definitely use a 6-point socket and a long breaker bar. No problem at all after the first change. Especially if you install a Fumoto.

The Shell oil should be fine. I'm one of "those guys" who believe in 1) using the weight and type recommended by the factory and 2) using the least expensive product that meets number 1). I currently use SuperTech (Wal*Mart) 0w-20 SN full synthetic. Because it's the cheapest and meet the factory recommendations. Amazon is now selling motor oil under its own brand. I'm hoping it gets cheaper than SuperTech (it's close now) so that I won't have to go to Wal*Mart anymore!

·
Registered
2019 Touring
38 Posts
Typical response might be “oh another oil thread” but I’m unable to do a search at this time.
it’s getting a little more difficult as I get older.
I’m there too. I’ve got a free first oil change compliments of selling dealer so I don’t gave to decide right now.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
14 Posts
I also used to do my own, but since I got 3 free ones from the dealer I’ll wait on my decision till the spring. The oil filter location is the easiest I’ve seen!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
492 Posts
One other issue not brought up is that the engine oil and CVT drain are easy to confuse. There are several members who have drained the CVT and not the engine oil. There are several reports of quick oil change outfits doing the same. Make sure you are using the proper drain plug for the engine oil.

You make no mention of year and model of your Forester. It is best to add a signature or update your profile with the stats of your vehicle so other responders can give proper advice.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester CVT
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other issue not brought up is that the engine oil and CVT drain are easy to confuse. There are several members who have drained the CVT and not the engine oil. There are several reports of quick oil change outfits doing the same. Make sure you are using the proper drain plug for the engine oil.

You make no mention of year and model of your Forester. It is best to add a signature or update your profile with the stats of your vehicle so other responders can give proper advice.
Thank you for the heads up on the drain plugs.

I filled out my information but it doesn’t seem to show on anything other than a desktop computer. That’s not smart. I can’t even add a signature. I moderate another forum and all features are available across all devices.

I have a 2019 crystal white Forester premium without option packages. The one in my avatar.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,517 Posts
@[LEFT][B][SIZE=16px][FONT=Helvetica Neue][COLOR=rgb(0, 95, 217)]joeinid[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/LEFT] - Agreed on doing oil changes yourself. It's pretty easy on the Subaru and the Fumoto valve makes it even easier. One thing not mentioned yet - Keep your receipts and a log of your maintenance, and you will have ample evidence if you ever have warranty issues.
Most other maintenance can also be easily performed as the car is nicely laid out for that.
Two of these are your air filters, cabin and engine, that are very easy to change.
The cabin air filter takes a couple of minutes after you've done it once, and you can get a just as good aftermarket for a lot less. The dealer will charge about $125 for this "service" and you can do it yourself for $10.
There are lots of you tubes out there to show you exactly how to do it and no exotic tools are required.
The air filter is more complicated - You have to remove a couple of push pin fasteners. Also very easy.

If you look at the maintenance schedule, the biggest consumer rip off are the "big" service intervals, where they do a couple of visual inspections and charge you ~$400 to $800 for little more than the courtesy inspection they typically do with an oil change. Of course you have to get past the typical dealer intimidation, but there is relatively little that you actually need the dealer for, except warranty repairs that are done for free.

If you have any mechanical ability, and the ability to launch a you tube video, virtually all regularly scheduled Subaru maintenance can be easily done at home with very minor tool investments, but that will save you thousands of dollars over the life of the car without putting your warranty at risk.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,622 Posts
Oils are oils...but I think QS Ultimate durability is the best oil you cab buy. I would wait a bit longer to change. If you do anything throw on a Fram Ultra Syn Synthetic that filters to 20 microns. That will help you more than anything.

Don't fret over the low bypass # on the filter. It will never go to bypass on a syn depth media filter. If were a problem Fram would get sued.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest so if you are interested I can give you more info. PM me.

I am 73 and have no problem. I use a ramp. I don't have nor need a Fumoto valve. Thats a personal choice.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Touring CVT
1,205 Posts
Another vote for doing the oil changes yourself. The Forester makes it quite easy to change the oil and filter - especially with the Fumoto valve. Keep receipts and also log services on the MySubaru site and you will be fine. Let us know how it all works out. The Shell Rotella 0w-20 Will do just fine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do it yourself. Get an oil extractor and you don't even have to get under car. In addition, the filter is on top and easy to spin off. As long as you can bend at the waist you can change the oil Here is what I use, but there are many others:

I buy whatever oil is on sale at wallyworld that meets car's spec. At present, there is a rebate on Mobil 1 which brings cost down almost 50%

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester CVT
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all so much. I found a free first oil change coupon in my paperwork from the dealer.

In about 2 weeks, I'll be close to 2K miles and will have it done for "free" by them. I'll do it myself at about 4-5K intervals. Looks like a piece of cake. I appreciate the camaraderie.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester CVT
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow,

The fluid extractor looks awesome. Thank you for the link.

Do it yourself. Get an oil extractor and you don't even have to get under car. In addition, the filter is on top and easy to spin off. As long as you can bend at the waist you can change the oil Here is what I use, but there are many others:

I buy whatever oil is on sale at wallyworld that meets car's spec. At present, there is a rebate on Mobil 1 which brings cost down almost 50%

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i
51 Posts
Also, if you do a traditional oil change by pulling the drain plug, there's a crush washer on the drain plug that is recommended to replace with every oil change. You can buy OEM washers on eBay for well under a dollar. There's been a time or two where I've drained the oil and discovered I was out of the crush washers, so I reused the one I had. Not a big deal, but the expense is so minimal, why not change it? Of course, if you extract the oil or use a Fumoto, you won't need to remove the drain plug.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester CVT
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great advice, thank you for pointing that out.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
279 Posts
I always did my own oil changes until we got the 15 quart PowerStroke diesel. I found the dealer did a much better job than the drive-through oil change places. Now that I have disabilities, we just take our vehicles to the dealer.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
One other issue not brought up is that the engine oil and CVT drain are easy to confuse.
Maybe, if someone is totally unfamiliar with the anatomy of a vehicle drivetrain. As in , engine is in front of the transmission( the exception being FWD CARS with transverse engine position).

The transmission pan drain plug is well back /to the rear of the engine sump drain plug.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
12 Posts
I used to always do my own changes but it’s getting a little more difficult as I get older.

My Forester looks pretty easy compared to other vehicles I’ve owned, especially if I replace the plug with a drain valve.

I have about 1100 miles now and usually have done early changes in the past at about 2K miles, then 5K thereafter.

Thank you so much.

Joe

View attachment 521998 View attachment 521998

Thank you so much.

Joe

View attachment 521998 View attachment 521998
Yep, Subaru drain plug was super tight. Mechanic friend says not just at factory, subsequent changes can also result in over tight plug too. So glad I installed a Fumoto. With it the oil drain is very easy and with filter out front/on top...has to be the easiest access of any vehicle. Use a quality oil as recommended and good filter and you can save big bucks over dealer or shop. On my ‘17 the plastic skid plate IDs which is the oil drain and provides some protection for the Fumato drain.

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester CVT
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I’m not mistaken, isn’t the oil drain plug magnetic?

I’m thinking about using a Fumoto valve (like on 2 or 3 of my previous vehicles), trying the new EZ change valve or even trying the Stahlbus drain valve.

None of these replacements are magnetic, I guess it’s not a big deal as long as the oil is changed on a timely basis.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts