Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just purchased a 2019 Forester (Touring). Our dealership told me that we should apply a paint sealer to the exterior of our new vehicle...recommended "NuFinish".

Is there any validity to this? If the recommendation makes sense, is NuFinish the right kind of sealer?

Thanks, in advance!
-Manny

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
124 Posts
It is advisable to protect the paint with a wax or protectant of some kind. Most typically this is done with some kind of cleaner wax. NuFinish is basically a synthetic cleaner wax as opposed to a natural wax. It does tend to last longer than a natural wax. The downside is that you have to be careful in application near plastic trim because it can damage plastic.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
19 Posts
I am in the same situation. 2019 green base trim. Purchased 3 weeks ago. Waiting for weather to warm up a bit then want to put some type of paint sealant on. Was looking at Rejex. Seems similar to Nufinish. Never used it before. Open to suggestions.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,815 Posts
Out of 10 liquid/gel waxes that Consumer Reports tested, Nu Finish NF-76 was rated #2. Out of the 5 paste waxes that CR tested, Nu Finish NFP-80 scored #1 by a wide margin. I've been using the liquid version for decades.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
242 Posts
It's probably a good idea to put down something. I didn't and have picked up two very small stains on my white Subaru from something that I can't ID. I'll probably go with one of the above recommended products. This never happened with my white Infinity QX$ and I'm assuming it had a better paint job or clearcoat.

·
Administrator
17,267 Posts
The surface on my MY'03 was already covered in Clear Coat ex-factory so if it's the same for the later models you are just adding a protective coat over an already existing protective coat which I consider to be a waste of money.

I wash my Foz and that's all, no wax, no polish, nothing and after 17 years it still looks fine.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
305 Posts
All modern vehicles have clear coat applied over the “color” layer. The wax or sealant protects the clear coat from environmental damage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes. It's always recommended to periodically seal or wax your car to protect the paint for the long-term. NuFinish actually performs well, is cheap, and available at Wal-Mart and many other retailers. Another very commonly recommended sealant/wax is Collinite 476 or 845. This is something anyone can do themselves if they buy some halfway decent/pads and cloths.

You will often find car dealers that are selling paint protection packages or ceramic coatings with huge warranties. Those are often a money grab and are rarely worth the money. Waxing/sealing your car yourself can be just as effective for much less. If you insist on some of the stronger ceramic coatings, it is still better to arrange to get that installed professionally at a specialized detailing shop after you've purchased the car.

·
Registered
2019 Touring (54k miles 5/2021)
97 Posts
I used Rejex on my black '19 Forester in November. Water is still beading up on the hood, which indicates the protection is still working, but just beginning to fail. Four months of harsh mountain snow and 11,000 miles on the product, so I'm happy.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Manual
1 Posts
Good Information :)

I was wondering about this myself, as the dealership offered the same coating when I purchased my Forester last year. 8 months and 37,000 miles later, it still looks quite new. I'm planning on detailing it as soon as the weather and my work schedule allow it. Definitely appreciate the info on the other waxes and coatings.

On a similar note, should I rewax the vehicle after using a product like bug and tar remover? Just curious if it affects the finish enough to warrant an additional detailing. I appreciate any info anyone can spare. :grin2:

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
305 Posts
I'm pretty sure my 2010 Mitsubishi Triton ute does not have clear coat
Single stage paint-no clear coat-will oxidize with time due to oxygen exposure. Therefore clear coat became the norm.
If a compound or cleaner wax picks up your paint color, it is not clear coated.
I remember the old days of red cars, in particular, that badly faded and looked chalky. With clear coat, paints look great for decades.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
81 Posts
Just to be clear - using an appropriate wax to protect your paint/clearcoat is a great idea. Paying big $$$ to the dealer for coatings/protectants is just the modern-day equivalent of rustproofing, as far as I'm concerned. I felt sorry for my F&I guy on Saturday during delivery when he had to go through all the BS. Kudos to him for being extremely brief when I told him I had no plans to purchase anything.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
145 Posts
This 10x

What he's selling you with NuFinish is basically waxing the car. Sealant is a term used for synthetic based waxes. Coating is another term that gets thrown around a lot and generally is ceramic based and a little more long lasting. Both I don't think you should be buying from the dealer.

wax/seal the car yourself or find a detail place that does a good job. The guy at the dealer is likely less skilled than any random detail guy.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
161 Posts
Ceramic coating at a reputable detailer. I got mine coated with Gtechniq ceramic coating and Suntek PPF on the bumper. Saved me a lot of time from washing my car as the gunk doesn't stick to the coating. Only thing that it wont protect is door dings and rock chips from trucks at high speed on the hood but not the bumper since i have the PPF applied there.

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
I use Surfcity Garage products and love them. I have the wash and wax, just went to their site and they have ceramic sealant now... going to pick that up soon! https://surfcitygarage.com/ and no I don't work for them or have anything to do with them.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester Tour 2.5i Touring
5 Posts
Bead Maker Paint Protectant

i love this stuff!! Bead Maker Paint Protectant !! just make sure you follow the directions the paint pops like glass :grin2:

·
Registered
2014 Volt
23 Posts
For me, a coating will last a year or more, a sealant 6 months, and a "wax" 3 months or less. I would rather spend the money on a double or triple layer of coating than anything else. The application of what ever protection you decide to use takes the least amount of time. It's the preparation that takes me so long, the washing, de-taring, iron-x, claying, buffing. The more time you spend doing that, the nicer your car will look.
If you have the time to dive down some rabbit holes, check out some detailer forums. Find the long term side by side reviews of products, then decide which will work for you. That's how I found out to use Collinite 845 on all my rubber and other black vinyl {just remember to warm the bottle in hot water so you can shake it up}.

·
Registered
2015 2015 2.5i Touring CVT
118 Posts
I know CR rates it highly, and I tried it but went back to Zymol...

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Zymol-Z503A-Cleaner-Wax-oz/dp/B0009JKIRC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=T9R83EMA2JZH&keywords=zymol+cleaner+wax&qid=1553127197&s=gateway&sprefix=symbol%2Caps%2C128&sr=8-3[/ame]

Check out the ratings for Zymol: 92% rating it give it 4 or 5 stars.

It goes on easier than NuFinish, comes off easier, and lasts longer, IMHO.

Their blurb: Zymol Cleaner Wax is the first true cleaner/wax combination, and it does an exceptional job of both. Uniform micro-polishing agents clean and repair minor paint blemishes, scratches and abrasions without petrol solvents while imparting a brilliant coat of natural waxes to protect your finish. Contains 21 percent Carnauba (100 percent yellow by volume) and 3 percent Bees wax.

Whatever floats yur boat.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts