Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I installed the Curt 13409 Class 3 Trailer Hitch, 2-Inch Receiver. Purchased from Amazon.

Etrailer.com posted a good video showing how to install it. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Subaru/Forester/2019/C13409.html?VehicleID=201986693#exp-productdetails=.videos

I found it simpler to remove the muffler entirely than let it hang down; and it was only two bolts. I also increased the diameter of the front-most holes on each side with a conical drill bit - it looks a lot better than the way they do it in the video. That allowed me to slide the hardware into the frame. I didn’t want to go the other way and remove my bumper fascia and bumper beam. I then used a bead of silicone to seal the rubber stopper in the now-widened hole. Lastly, I decided to trim the heat shield instead of trying to screw it down between the vehicle frame and the hitch. I wanted to ensure the most solid contact between these surfaces. I think it worked out pretty well. I hope this post helps someone else.
Hitch 2.jpg
Hitch 3.jpg
Hitch 4.jpg
Hitch 5.jpg
Hitch 6.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
141 Posts
My son and I did the hitch etrailer on my daughters 2019 Crostrek. Layout is different than my 2018 Forester just a straight shot. The only time he needed me was holding the hitch together. When we looked at the Forester we agree much simpler to remove the muffler. Trim the heat shield made sense.
Thanks for the images.
Lou Cioccio

1 - 2 of 2 Posts