Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is our first white car ever so I don't know if this is common to white cars. We have the 2019 Premium Forester (also our first Premium). Since the day we got it and through 6 months of heavy rain storms in NJ, there are multiple brownish parallel streaks running down from each and every outside handle and mirror. Why does that happen and is it something I should return to the dealer about? (II have to admit I have not gone to a car wash yet and wonder if that would be better than stormy washes).

·
Registered
264 Posts
That's dirt, grime, whatever is on NJ roads that just tucks into those areas and runs when wet.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,356 Posts
When you wash your car (or it gets wet) the mirrors hold on to water after your car dries...which will continue to dribble down and leave streaks.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS AT
25 Posts
A nice fresh coat of wax will help the sludge run off more effectively. But yeah, it's just dirt, although leaving it unattended can temporarily stain the paint.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,116 Posts
It's called dirt. There's a lot of it in the atmosphere. Rain carries it and deposits it on whatever it touches.

Maybe try cleaning it before assuming there is a problem?

·
Registered
2017 Forester
312 Posts
You’ve had car 6 months and haven’t been to a car wash yet.

Please tell us you’ve been washing it yourself. Or have you relied solely on the rain storms?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
123 Posts
If the overnight temps are below the dew point, you'll find condensation on your car in the early am hours. The water dripping from that can cause the streaks. Especially if you are a late riser and never see the condensation, the dirt appears like magic!

I finally washed my ice silver 2019 Sport this weekend; it had quite a layer of dust/dirt. Next weekend it's time for ONR Wash and Wax followed by Meguiar's Synthetic Spray wax. Saw this on youtube video and it looks like it can be done in 35 minutes and looks good. I'll be more likely to find the time to do it frequently. Paste wax requires a lot of elbow grease and my old car just ended up with dried up wax on the lower portions of the sides. The no water aspect makes me happy, but CA is not in a drought this year.

I chose the ice silver because it wasn't dark and heat absorbing and it will hide the dirt and scratches pretty well. One downside of the Sport trim is the boring choices for colors.

·
Registered
2011 forester xt auto/sport
13 Posts
Order Dry Wash and Guard from Enviro Tech. It's expensive, but does wonders to your vehicle. It protects it from the environment, like acid rain and bird drops.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Automatic
185 Posts
Really?

Don't go to the dealership ...you'll really look like a fool complaining about road spray dirt on a white car.

It's called DIRT ...whatever crap is in the air or off the roads ends up on your car ...especially when it rains. You drive it in the rain you get the thing washed, basically, with dirty water. The airflow over the body will dictate how the rain water and road spray flows in and around all the body protuberances and how it flows across major body panels.

It's a WHITE car ...any amount of dirt and dried up road spray will show up nicely ...when the sun comes out ...especially on a white car.

Find a good car wash or do it yourself.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
64 Posts
White hides a lot on vehicles but...

My immediate family has had three white vehicles. Normal dust and dirt that comes with a vehicle being dirty doesn't show as well on the white vehicle compared to a dark colored vehicle. The catch is that in rain storms, if the dirt docent all come off (It never does from what I have seen) it will leave streaks anywhere the water collects or streams on the vehicle. On my white Dodge Ram we get streaks on the hood where the driving forces the water to channel. Similar streaks on my Dad's Pacifica and add the door handles as well like you describe. My Mom's Trike Motorcycle gets them in several different places. We used to have a light gray minivan that when it rained it looked like we added dirt colored racing stripes on the hood.

All of this is completely normal. Just get your white vehicle washed by someone who will get the dirt out of all the nooks and crannies. Maybe a detail company with a basic wash and wax. It will cost a little more but you will love the look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts