Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was coming home from work and she looked in the mirror and could not see out the back as there was a cloud of WHITE smoke. It was dangerous as people behind her couldn't see and it was causing mayhem on the highway. There were no warning (check lights) on the dash. When she pulled over the car stopped running. She could not start the vehicle. We had the car towed to the original Dealer who said they hadn't seen this before. 3 days later they said it was a faulty PCV valve and that the part had been superseded by another and they replaced the PCV valve with the new part that was from a different manufacturer than the original. They said the new superseded part is steel and the original was (aluminum ? or other but not steel). They also said the oil was low. It shouldn't have been low as I had recently changed it and afterall it is a new vehicle. It is now the day after repair (30 miles put on it since repair) and I still see a little bit of white smoke and a very noticable smell of burnt oil when she departed. The dealership said it could take a few days to burn off inside the exhaust system. I'm hoping the latter is true. Could the bad PCV valve have caused any permanent damage to this vehicle? Not a good start for our first Subie. Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wow, sorry this happened to you! How long have you had this car? I'm wondering (as the owner of a new 2019 Forester myself) whether this is something that has changed over the build year, like maybe they've changed to that different PCV valve as problems occurred).

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
@hoarybatman - There has been at least one other guy who had the PCV valve failure that has posted on this site.
In that case, the valve fell apart into the engine and it was out of service for weeks.
The PCV failure dumped large quantities of oil into the cylinders, and in your case, that is likely why your oil was low. The owner got a free extended warranty as a result.
It's hard to say if there is any long term damage, but lrge volumes of oil don't do your cat converter any good, or they would have oil injection systems built in..
I would complain, if it were my car. You could also ask SOA why they aren't doing a recall for what now appears to be a clearly defective part...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yikes! THank you for replying! We have had the car since early spring. I agree! I believe we bought an extended warranty to 100K at purchase but I think they should extend the drivetrain warranty beyond that now after this. I was under the impression the Subaru is very stubborn about recalls because it's admitting problems and they try to handle it internally. Latter is not what I know for a fact but what I've read at least at one site anyway. Thanks again I'll report on the Forester over the next few days.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So has anyone located the PCV valve to look at how it can enter the engine?

EDIT:
I took a look at the repair manual. The stock PCV uses liquid gasket which means if you inspected it, it would require new gasket. The removal process looks quick easy.

Remove battery negative, remove engine cover, remove air intake boot, remove hose from PCV, remove PCV and reverse. I'd guess 15 min or less.

iamdunker, do you have a work order with a part number? If the part is revised it might be advisable to just replace it at the first oil change.
Subaru 11810AA200 is the old number. Looking for new.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Not absolutely sure on your year but PCV valves on Subies are right on top of the engine, from what I've seen. Here's a video on how to replace one. Not that you'd want to do that but it should give you an idea on where to look. (edit: Ah, I see now that you wanted a look at the physical replacement part - makes sense. I'll leave this, in case someone needs it)

Did they say how that valve failed? Them saying "it was low on oil" is not the cause of your problem but more likely a symptom of a failed PCV. Sounds like them blowing smoke. How low was the oil when it died?
Being really low on oil is obviously quite detrimental. It could also be the cause for the car not being able to start when your wife got stranded. Had she been able to start it, it could have really done a lot of damage. I'm surprised the oil light didn't illuminate.

That car is practically new. I'd get Subaru Of America involved. It doesn't take three days to replace a PCV valve - to replace one takes about 10 minutes, start to finish. There's more to this story, I suspect. If parts of the PCV valve finding their way into the engine is indeed common, they'd have to take the thing apart to get those parts out - That's a job and a half so way more than three days. So did they fish those bits out? Hopefully that isn't the case but better safe than sorry. Don't want to make you paranoid but I'm very distrustful of dealers.

·
Registered
259 Posts
So has anyone located the PCV valve to look at how it can enter the engine?

EDIT:
I took a look at the repair manual. The stock PCV uses liquid gasket which means if you inspected it, it would require new gasket. The removal process looks quick easy.

Remove battery negative, remove engine cover, remove air intake boot, remove hose from PCV, remove PCV and reverse. I'd guess 15 min or less.

iamdunker, do you have a work order with a part number? If the part is revised it might be advisable to just replace it at the first oil change.
Subaru 11810AA200 is the old number. Looking for new.
Are you sure that's not the new part number? It says replaces 11810AA180..

11810AA200 is the part Subaru installed in iamdunker's Forester with the same problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
UPDATE Hi, Indeed Remco I agree but no they did not say anything about WHY the PCV failed. My wife put 80+ miles on the car today.. No warning lights today. I find it most discouraging that the car PCV failure did not trigger a service engine/warning light etc. I had my wife keep the car running when she drove home tonight so I could check it and I noticed only a smidge less smoke than I saw this morning but the smell was bad.... smelled like burnt oil coming out the tailpipe. I inspected the oil level it was fine so the dealership must have topped it off from the defecit they reported earlier. I will attempt to call Subaru of America tomorrow. I am very concerned and I made a mistake in my initial post, our 2019 Forester was purchased late fall of 2018. Thought this was important for timing on this defective part's factory install date. WHo knows when/if the superseded part was replaced at the factory level.... Thanks again everybody,
Best,
Joe

·
Registered
298 Posts
We took delivery in late November so I now need to figure out if ours has the old part number.
At the risk of stating the obvious, I'd try to find out whether this issue of the PCV valve granading is indeed common. If they haven't started a recall yet, it may be worth just replacing it yourself with the part number mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
If you wait for Subaru to issue a recall you could die from old age first.
(Think earlier model head gaskets - Recall or even an admission of a design defect never happened although it was a widespread and known problem).
In most states, a single engine (or brake) failure disabling the car can allow you to exercise the lemon law.
Why should the purchaser of a new car change a defective part at their own expense?
That should not happen.
If Subaru has issued a replacement part (now why would they do that... Oh yeah, because it's defective...
Like the earlier FB25 oil pressure switch... No recall on that either) I would talk to SoA and request that the defective part be replaced...
If they don't want to do that, you can tell them they will get to buy the car back when it fails...
If the part already did fail, the massive intrusion of oil into the emission control system could be a problem for the longer term. If you want to let them off the hook for that you might regret it later.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you wait for Subaru to issue a recall you could die from old age first.
(Think earlier model head gaskets - Recall or even an admission of a design defect never happened although it was a widespread and known problem).
In most states, a single engine (or brake) failure disabling the car can allow you to exercise the lemon law.
Why should the purchaser of a new car change a defective part at their own expense?
That should not happen.
If Subaru has issued a replacement part (now why would they do that... Oh yeah, because it's defective...
Like the earlier FB25 oil pressure switch... No recall on that either) I would talk to SoA and request that the defective part be replaced...
If they don't want to do that, you can tell them they will get to buy the car back when it fails...
If the part already did fail, the massive intrusion of oil into the emission control system could be a problem for the longer term. If you want to let them off the hook for that you might regret it later.
Good point. I remember that head gasket debacle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Any thing done to the car should be on SOA's dime, imo. ,,,and fully documented.
Does your dealer do work based on internet forum discussions? Especially without an issue on your vehicle, TSB or recall?

Now, if you could prove that your vehicle has the old part number and that there was a TSB and revision, then yeah, no doubt about it, warranty item.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Does your dealer do work based on internet forum discussions? Especially without an issue on your vehicle, TSB or recall?

Now, if you could prove that your vehicle has the old part number and that there was a TSB and revision, then yeah, no doubt about it, warranty item.
Not usually, but they do based on past or current problems of a similar nature, provided SOA gets involved, or you charm them "with honey".

1 - 20 of 90 Posts