Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We frequently load up our 2019 Premium for camping, hauling, and traveling. When loaded, the vehicle has a significant sag in the rear.

What is the best way to decrease this sag? I'm not interested in a lift to compensate, just wanting to decrease the sag when loaded.

I have found some threads that suggest upgraded springs or rubber spring inserts, but am unable to find recent threads for the 19+ and products applicable to the 19+ without doing a lift.

· Registered
2019 Forester Limited
2,002 Posts
These would seem to address your needs. They are "standard height" but still result in a slight 0.5" lift.

· Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
361 Posts
I just installed the RalliTek zero lift heavy-duty springs on my 2014 Forester XT and it is like driving a brand new car. Zero sag in the rear end, zero-lift so the vehicle still fits in my garage and the ride is silky smooth.

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just installed the RalliTek zero lift heavy-duty springs on my 2014 Forester XT and it is like driving a brand new car. Zero sag in the rear end, zero-lift so the vehicle still fits in my garage and the ride is silky smooth.
Have you had a load in the back since this upgrade? How does is handle?

Load smart. Heaviest items low and between the wheels, less dense items higher and toward the rear.

GD
Good general recommendation, not the issue in this case.

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today I finished putting on the RalliTEK standard height front springs and overload rear springs.

Using the spring compression tool was awful. It was difficult to get situated in a way that I could get it on and off around the strut body. Scratched the springs pretty badly, too. I would pay a shop to do this job, and would recommend anyone else do the same.

Alignment scheduled for early next week. The ride is noticeably stiffer (even in a quick trip around the block), but in a good way. Even pulling into the drive over the curb there is less bounce. I have a long road trip scheduled for in two weeks that will really put this upgrade to the test.

· Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
1,011 Posts
I have a long road trip scheduled for in two weeks that will really put this upgrade to the test.
Those look strong! From a geometry perspective you will get the least sag if the weight majority is placed forward of the rear axle - so on the folded forward back seats. Put the light stuff, sleeping bags +, to the rear - 'tis the reverse of the easiest way to pack ... 🙁

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the alignment done today. Nothing was too far out of spec, but it was needed. The way the car feels and handles is fantastic. I'll be loading it up for a long road trip on Sunday and am very excited to see how the vehicle handles and performs while loaded with gear.

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1300 miles. Denver to South Dakota, back home through Wyoming. Heavily loaded with gear. The vehicle performed very well. Much better than with the OEM springs. Handling was much better and it never bottomed out on hundreds of miles of unpaved and washboard roads. Highly recommended upgrade. Photo below is with the vehicle fully loaded. Badlands National Park for scale.

· Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
502 Posts
After reading your post, I changed my order from just the overload springs, to the full struts from Rallitek.
I bought the RalliTEK 0" Rear Overload Springs & Bilstein B6 Struts Assembled - Forester 2014-2018. So far I am very happy with them but I haven't made any trips with them yet. The new struts are 1/2 an inch longer than the stock strut and it solved my sag problem, but I haven't dismantled my car to see if it added any lift.
I'm still getting use to them and they seem to handle like the stock struts with the 20mm sway bar upgrade, while handling the weight and bumps better.

You came back through Wyoming, did you go up through Nebraska? A very nice trip either way!

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@CO17Forester

I would have purchased the RalliTek assembled strut kits. Unfortunately, they are not available for the 2019+ models. I considered other assembled strut kits, such as the Ironman kit, but I was not interested in a lift.

We went through Nebraska. The drive was incredible. Much more beautiful than I was anticipating.

It has been a month since my installation and I simply couldn't recommend this upgrade more. The car handles so much better in daily driving and the advantages I got when loaded with gear were exactly what I was looking for. I am now considering a 0.5" spacer in the rear.

· Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
502 Posts
Rallitek offered to install the spacers on the struts I ordered, but I still don't know how thick of a spacer. Sounds like we are looking for the same thing; good luck with it.

Western Nebraska is a hidden gem with a lot of scenic places and history. I've been in South Dakota a couple of time but not to the Badlands yet.

Reactions: Natedog and supasta

· Registered
502 Posts
Loaded and sagging around the Pawnee National Grasslands before the new springs.
Cloud Tire Sky Car Wheel

Not as impressive as the Badlands N.P.
But it is closer to home.

I usually run heavy so a spacer is in my future and I'll get the adjustable end-links from Rallitek when the time comes.

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, after another month and another loaded trip, I am interested in adding the RalliTEK 0.5" spacer to the rear. Part# RTEK-830-624-000.

What is the implication and the absolute necessity to have the rear alignment done again after this installation? Note that I will only be removing the lower stabilizer and the strut so as to not misalign the vehicle.

@CO17Forester Did you opt for a spacer?

· Registered
502 Posts
I have been focused on adding ditch lights, so the spacer has been on hold. I am very happy with the new struts, but I would be happier with a little more lift.
Looking at the parts on mine I didn't see any reason to have mine aligned when I changed the struts. I made sure the bolts went back the same place and none of them were adjustment bolts. To me, an alignment is cheaper than tires, and if I had any concerns it would be in the shop.

If I do get the half-inch spacer, I'll also get the end-links (not offered for the 2019 yet). They may already be adjustable on the newer Foresters.
RallyTek adjustable end-links

Reactions: Natedog

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Rotated the tires today. After putting more than 2,000 miles on the car while heavily loaded, there was nearly no toe war on the rear tires. I had to replace the tires after the last few long trips simply due to excessive toe wear - which was my original motivation to install the overload springs. I'd call that a success on its own!

I added the RalliTEK 0.5" polycarbonate spacers to the rear today. I spent two hours kicking myself for not installing them when I installed the springs. By the time I was done, it was too dark to take and after photos. Here is a photo of the spacer installed onto the strut assembly.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Tread

Tire Automotive tire Hand tool Coil Bicycle part

1 - 20 of 29 Posts