Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are my dealer "Recommended" items from their pamphlet I got when I got the car. What is everyones opinion on B.S. items listed? The ones I see are coolant drain and fill at 30k. The manual says 11 years. Also, the cabin filter replacement is $180! Really?

I plan on doing my own maintenance after seeing this nonsense. What does everyone think?

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's the labor cost. In my area, dealers charge about $120/hour and about $80 for little works less than an hour. I'm also planning to do minor maintenance myself. Things that don't require highly specialized tools. For sure doing things yourself will save some money, the question is time vs money. In some cases sometimes it is not worth the effort to save 20-30 bucks. In some cases, it may be worth it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The cabin filter for $180 is a money grab. I timed myself doing mine and it literally took less than 5 minutes . The filter is $20. YouTube and Google are your friends.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And what the heck is BG MOA and Supercharge? Marketing lingo for STP oil additive? Why add any additive to it at all?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm new to Subaru, always had Hondas and this is all sounding like a rip off. Why would the dealer do a coolant drain and fill at 30k miles? And the Differentials as well? Its like they automatically assume that everyone is off roading or fording rivers. I don't plan on changing the coolant until 11 years.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
90% of that is BS at inflated prices to boot. Engine oil "flush" service for $139.99 , give me a break!

Take a look Subaru's recommended maintenance schedule at 30k miles and only do those items.

If you have another Subaru dealer in your area, go there instead. You don't have to have your Subaru serviced at the dealer where you bought it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is incorrect, since Subaru is now going by the 6,000 mile interval, not the 7,500 mile interval like they used to.

It's concerning that this dealer isn't even providing the proper maintenance schedule.

I'd like to see "corporate" dealers rather than independent dealers but I don't think that is allowed. I've had one dealer not know what a certain mileage service was (because they repeat, they just use the same few in their system, so if you say 72,000 mile service, for example, they don't know what that is without looking it up, and they don't want to look it up so they just quote a 6,000 mile service). Then, another dealer said something in the maintenance guide wasn't necessary. They told me their service department just did it once or twice in all the years of they worked there and never as part of the regular maintenance and that the guide was probably written for a different country where the maintenance might be different.

So, if these dealers don't know or don't follow corporate policy, that is really concerning to me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm embarrassed to say that on the day I got the car I was pressed for time and the finance guy saw this and took advantage of it. I am due for my first oil change in a couple weeks and I was looking in my paperwork for the maintenance schedule and I found that I had paid for the 3/36k prepaid maintenance "package". It included 6 oil changes and 3 tire rotations (not sure why only 3). I am also embarrassed to say that the price on the agreement is $995.00. I know, I know stupid me, rushing during an expensive purchase etc... etc...

Bright side is I called them and they are cancelling out the plan and the bank will receive that money towards the principle on the loan. I'll be looking for that credit on my statement, that's for sure.

Lesson learned.

P.S, that $995 included no air, cabin, fuel filters or anything else. Just the oil changes and rotations listed on the agreement. The dealer was like "oh but you get the 15k and 30k maintenance at the discount" that is shown in the photos I posted. Big deal, right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
rccrfan
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing