Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2019 - Dash Cam with power from mirror - anyone use Dongar Technologies adapter?

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  FozzieBalou 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard of these or used them on their subaru? Dongar Technologies

I have been thinking of getting a dashcam for my 2019 forester with homelink mirror. I don't want to do any wiring around headboard or pillars, but also don't want USB cords dangling around everywhere. In searching around, I found a video on YouTube for a different make/model vehicle, but found the same company sells this adapter which appears to fit Subaru mirrors.

It seems pretty plug and play, which is what I would prefer.

Thoughts?

#5 ·
I don't have the eyesight system so that was not a concern for me.

I found a great unit on amazon - a "spytec A119" with the GPS adapter... that product is no longer available but they do have others and current. This is what the current one lists on amazon as - A119-Dashboard-Recorder-G-Sensor-Recording

It's 4 x 5 x 6 in side and fairly compact and should fit behind the mirror and be (mostly) out of your view.

#6 ·
Interesting kit. You'd have to make sure it is bundled up nice and tight so you aren't distracted by an oblong shape in your peripheral while driving.

I do not have a powered mirror... But I did tap the power wires using vampire clips for a 12v to 5v converter. Then pushed the power cable, and GPS cable through the edge of the headliner.

GPS sensor is in top right corner of windshield. Way out of my field of vision...

Dashcam is a StreetGuardian unit.

, on Flickr

#7 ·
With my cam - the GPS unit is a part of the device and "replaces" the stock mounting bracket and powers the camera and the power goes in to the GPS base instead. Here's how it installs -

The wedge shape is just what it is... From this view you can see the screen and buttons

This square box on top is the GPS unit.

There are other brands with the same form factor. The camera is adjustable - horizontally and vertically. While you can't see it here, I ran the wire straight up to the headliner (it plugs in to the GPS unit) and then across the top and down the A-pillar. It included a fuse tap that just plugs in to the fuse box in any existing fuse slot. I think I plugged in to the front power supply. In this case, it ONLY comes on when there is power to that circuit. If I wanted it "always on", I could have plugged in to a different circuit. There is a voltage monitor in this so that it will not drain the battery beyond some point. There is also a g-shock sensor that will record the seconds before and during a "love tap" in a parking lot.

it uses a micro SD card and you can set the length of the recordings - I think I've maxed at 10 minutes per file. The view is about 120 degrees (if I remember right) but captures a wide view of the road ahead... Here are some sample images of recent drives. These are some screen caps I did from watching one of the videos. Ther is also a button on the cam face that will take a snapshot at that momemnt.

Some folks have added another cam to the back window, powering from a tap in to the cargo area light or the cargo area power outlet (if you've got one). I've not done that.. but think about it from time to time.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.