Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2019 Forester Sport roughly 600 miles on it. I noticed in stop and go traffic it's a bit jumpy/jerky when accelerating slowly. I used a loaner 2019 Forester previous before buying a Forester and didn't noticed this issue. Is this a common issue with transmission? Are these transmissions reliable?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
913 Posts
I have a 2018 XT and if you press the accelerator normally the car will jerk forward. If you gingerly hint at pressing the pedal until you get to about 20% the car will accelerate normally. This problem is caused by the mapping from Subaru. I don't know if the 2019 has the same problem. One of the screens should show you the throttle percentage. On mine it's the screen that shows throttle percentage, boost pressure, and oil temperature. (But you can change which gauges are on there.)

The XT behaviour is different from the normally-aspirated in the 2018. Maybe the sport is different from the others in the 2019.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,512 Posts
Drive trains are now all the same on the Fozs - Only differences are trim levels and some features on the higher up models, but the basic car's guts are the same.

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
297 Posts
Is this your first CVT equipped car? It takes some getting used to, but I really enjoy mine after initially thinking the jerkiness was an issue, and recalibrating my throttle foot.

These the Subaru CVTs are quite reliable, not infallible by any means, but better than some of the Honda issues of the past decade.

The only black mark on the record of the CVT is how expensive it is to replace, so if something does go wrong out of warranty its $6-8000 for a replacement one.

Not sure if anything changed on the CVT for the new Forester, but the cost to replace is likely similarly high

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
141 Posts
My 2019 is my third CVT and I would opine that the 19 CVT control laws are a bit different, and not in a positive way. The question is whether corrective action is via software or hardware?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
99 Posts
I have the same experience with my '19 Sports with about 9,200km...The jerkiness is usually more noticeable at low speeds for me (between 20 and 40km/h) when engine is cold.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
3 Posts
I'm taking my '19 Sport in tomorrow to have it looked at. It happens all the time under load with the AC on going up even a slight incline between 2-3/k RPM. It hesitates and bucks! Only 4K miles so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 sport is in for the same issue (actually the 3rd time) it happens at 1800-2400 rpm. Very annoying when using the cruise @80mph. I will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
2016 2016 & 2015
104 Posts
I have the same experience with my '19 Sports with about 9,200km...The jerkiness is usually more noticeable at low speeds for me (between 20 and 40km/h) when engine is cold.
could it be the locking of torque convertor that gives you this sensation...
it locks at diferent speed in function of oil temperature but usually in the 20 to 40km/h range

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
8 Posts
could it be the locking of torque convertor that gives you this sensation...
it locks at diferent speed in function of oil temperature but usually in the 20 to 40km/h range
I had notice this too when I first got the 19 sport it really bothered me cause its my first CVT and AWD vehicle. That lurching feeling is extremely uncomfortable, but at least its not a problem in Sport# mode. Seems to be only when Im in "I" drive mode...

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
258 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2019 Forester Sport roughly 600 miles on it. I noticed in stop and go traffic it's a bit jumpy/jerky when accelerating slowly.
Some of that may be the ECM “learning” your driving habits. I know my ‘15 would come back to me after having been “flash updated” and be like an entirely different car from throttle response to “shift points”. It always settled down after about 1000 miles.

You guys with more miles - was there an update during service?

·
Registered
2006 Forester
20 Posts
Almost at 7000 miles on my 2019 Forester Sport and still getting the jerkiness at around 30mph, sometimes at higher speeds as well... I don't think it's going away over time as some have stated. This is not the issue of torque converter locking/unlocking at 15mph, I don't mind that at all. I notice it most often when I'm heading into work slightly downhill and behind someone. Maintaining a constant distance requires occasionally being on the edge of no gas to very little gas. This is where it most often happens. It's almost a hesitation followed by a light surge. I took mine in around 3000 miles to get a clunk from the front checked out (subframe piece needed to be removed and reinstalled) and had them check the firmware and test drive it. They loaned me another 19 Forester Sport and although it seemed to happen less, it did still have the same issue. Technician said it's normal.

I've got an 06' Forester LL Bean I'm about to adventure into replacing the driver-side head on and my wife says she wants to drive that car instead on the daily... so it really annoys her. Kind of a bummer because I love the look and feel of almost everything else in the car, especially that dark pearl blue and how the seats grip you around sharp turns. Sport# absolutely helps reduce the issue, and leaving it in manual below 5th gear seems to make it non-existent. I've never felt like it was damaging the transmission, nor that it was going to leave me unable to accelerate out of a dangerous situation. When I drive more aggressively I rarely ever notice it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
276 Posts
My '18 fxt exhibits none of these behaviors described.
Neither does our '19 Sport... we think it's great (except for the faux gears) but we've driven a CVT for the last five years.

·
Registered
2016 Forester Premium
8 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2019 Forester Sport roughly 600 miles on it. I noticed in stop and go traffic it's a bit jumpy/jerky when accelerating slowly. I used a loaner 2019 Forester previous before buying a Forester and didn't noticed this issue. Is this a common issue with transmission? Are these transmissions reliable?

Thanks!
I’m having same/similar symptoms on my 2019 Forester. Symptoms started around 1500 miles. Going to dealership shortly.

·
Registered
2016 Forester Premium
8 Posts
I have a 2019 Forester (my wife drives the 2016.). Dealer service tells me that the culprit is a new to 2018 and newer Subies - a spring that winds up/down to relieve sudden stress on serpentine belt with the engine start/stop feature. Disabling start/stop feature doesn’t alter the herky-jerky behavior, as the spring thing is independent of the engine start-stop operation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts