Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a puncture on an OEM Falken, had it plugged but shop didn't rebalance it resulting in a balding tire. Wasn't able to complain because they didn't charge me for the plug. Still had a lot of tread left but was gonna go for a long drive so decided to bite the bullet and get new shoes.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Synthetic rubber

But anyways, here's how it looks. They look great and absorb little bumps well, not too noisy too.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
137 Posts
Same situation as me except I got rid of the OEM tires after about 500 miles and replaced with the Cross Climate 2's. So much better a tire! Sold my OEMs for $500 and Costco had a sale on the CC2's so in the end it cost me about $400 which was well worth it. Just did a 4000 mile road trip on them and they didn't disappoint in any way on pavement, gravel, rain... Quiet, great gas mileage, better handling and ride characteristics... My only criticism of them would be that they really suck up stones. Needed to do a lot of picking them out of the treads.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice tip, I'm gonna keep an eye out for stones in 'em grooves then. But yeah, the stock Falkens lasted 24K, wasn't gonna get new ones until I saw the Michelin deals on the Costco brochure. lol.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
137 Posts
There is US pricing on stuff and then there is Canadian pricing on the same stuff. Very different. The OEM Bridgestone Ecopias at $190 + 12% tax at Costco. So for someone to pay $125/tire with 500 miles on them was still a good deal for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
as @Cddelta stated, that and manually check your tire pressure with a gauge. When the center of the tread looks higher than the shoulders, this could be caused by low air pressure. When the center wear's faster than the shoulders, then its high air pressure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your new tires look great, a very unique tread pattern!

I'm with the folks suggesting an alignment. I dont think a punctured tire that wasn't re balanced would cause that kind of difference in treadwear. Plus if you had that many miles on the stockers, your new tires are probably a little different in outside diameter .

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Based on your previous tire wear, I would have the alignment checked, especially with the investment in new tires.
I forgot to mention that I had an alignment a few weeks before the puncture, so it's pretty much straight. But yeah, as I said, tire shop plugged the tire but didn't rebalance it which caused the balding.

Such a waste, the 3 tires were still kinda good. Anyone here have experience selling just the tires to a used tire shop?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Lineartronic® CVT
390 Posts
67 years old, been plugging my tires for over 50 years, never ever needed a rebalance due to a plugging. I've even plugged tires used on my issued police cars often, to let me maintain a spare in the trunk ... it was always a car assigned to me so the driver knew when he had a plugged tire. I favored either brown tristed rope type plugs ... or ... umbrella plugs but they did require breaking a bead loose to install in the tire. Weigh a plug sometime. A plug did not lead to a balding tire. The alignment done earlier maybe did, or maybe you hit something and knocked it out of alighnment yet again, but no plug caused balding.

·
Registered
2017 FXT Touring w/Eyesight
45 Posts
Just purchased a set of Michelin CC2s for our 2017 FXT Touring from Costco (with the $150.00 discount...good until 9/26). Only have 17K miles on the OEM Bridgestones, but between that and the fairly non-aggressive tread pattern, they don't look like they'd be any good for the upcoming winter here in hilly Pittsburgh. Delayed the install for as long as I could...having them put on 10/9.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
24 Posts
Just purchased a set of Michelin CC2s for our 2017 FXT Touring from Costco (with the $150.00 discount...good until 9/26). Only have 17K miles on the OEM Bridgestones, but between that and the fairly non-aggressive tread pattern, they don't look like they'd be any good for the upcoming winter here in hilly Pittsburgh. Delayed the install for as long as I could...having them put on 10/9.
Exact same situation here. 2017 FXT Touring, 20,000 miles on original tires, but an upcoming road trip suggested the CC2 from Costco. Good service! I also noticed they pick up stones when driving on a dirt road...is this an issue?

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
24 Posts
Same situation as me except I got rid of the OEM tires after about 500 miles and replaced with the Cross Climate 2's. So much better a tire! Sold my OEMs for $500 and Costco had a sale on the CC2's so in the end it cost me about $400 which was well worth it. Just did a 4000 mile road trip on them and they didn't disappoint in any way on pavement, gravel, rain... Quiet, great gas mileage, better handling and ride characteristics... My only criticism of them would be that they really suck up stones. Needed to do a lot of picking them out of the treads.
What happens if you don't pick out the stones?

·
Registered
2015 Forester Limited CVT
74 Posts
Am planning on getting a set of them for my '15 Forester. I've been switching between my oem Yokohama Geolanders and Michelin X-Ice Xi3's every spring and fall for the last 6 years, so it's going to be nice to not have to do that anymore.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Limited CVT
74 Posts
For those who bought them at Costco, can I ask what the cost was for the 4 tires minus the $150 discount, and installation cost?

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
137 Posts
What happens if you don't pick out the stones?
A couple things I believe. The stone can push itself into the tire if it is sharp by. This is the thinnest part of the tire that the stone is sitting against. If there are enough stones it could possibly affect hydroplaning or snow traction. I just keep an old screwdriver bit in my coin tray and pop out stones as I notice them.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
951 Posts
Based on your previous tire wear, I would have the alignment checked, especially with the investment in new tires.
...been plugging my tires for over 50 years, never ever needed a rebalance due to a plugging. I've even plugged tires used on my issued police cars often, to let me maintain a spare in the trunk ... it was always a car assigned to me so the driver knew when he had a plugged tire. I favored either brown tristed rope type plugs ... or ... umbrella plugs but they did require breaking a bead loose to install in the tire. Weigh a plug sometime. A plug did not lead to a balding tire. The alignment done earlier maybe did, or maybe you hit something and knocked it out of alighnment yet again, but no plug caused balding.
Completely agree and similar decades of experience plugging many tires and never a problem with balance or a properly done plug...that's an alignment wear issue.

Best tire plugs and tools and made in USA, carry them with me always! Do not buy China made junk they are inferior.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts