Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Advance CVT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Michelin has had some batches of rubber that seem not to last as long as others before stress cracking and climate/UV light are definitely contributors. Do you know if your Michelins were made in the USA (most common) or might they have come from another country?
My batch was made in Germany.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,677 Posts
Sorry Tokyo. I guess it was pure coincidence that someone posted a pic on Redit with the exact same type of wear, and question as to wear on their tires. In their case it was on the OE Yokohamas.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAdvice/comments/qvgclt .
As you will notice its basically the same wear as on yours. Not sure what might be causing this other than road damage.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,137 Posts
So, the actual reason I looked at this post was... I need a new set to replace my regular tires. I have a winter set mounted on 17" steelies that I use for a few months out of the year. The 18" that came with mine are at 25k miles and they are looking a bit "tired" (because of my aggressive driving) so, there are some interesting recommendations and feedback in here. Good stuff, thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Premium CVT
76 Posts
2 year 3 month old 12,000 miles, but treads look like in poor shape.
Michelin won't warranty them as they said they don't offer warranty on cracks.
Any opinions?

Anyone had the Goodyear WeatherReady? Not sure I want michelins again, after this experience. View attachment 561265
I have the Goodyear WeatherReady -- and am completely satisfied. Took off the OEM Ecopias on my 2019 Forester Premium at 2,200 miles, after the first 1/8th of an inch of snow demonstrated their inadequacies . The Goodyear WeatherReady is good in the dry (smooth and surprisingly quiet) and excellent in Michigan winters. It's the kind of tire you put on and, no matter the weather, don't think about again. Would definitely buy another set.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,290 Posts
As you will notice its basically the same wear as on yours. Not sure what might be causing this other than road damage.
Do a Google search on "michelin tire dry rot" and look at pictures. Tires crack on tread edges and sidewalls because that is where they flex(!!!) and where rubber is not worn away from the tire exposing fresher and healthier rubber. This flex area is specifically why they don't allow you to plug or patch a flat within an inch of the tread edge or anywhere on the sidewall.

Weather checking and dry rot look specifically like hard and crumbly rubber. Alignment wear is feathering and does not create cracks in healthy rubber. Damage looks like damage. Chemical cleaners can dry out rubber, and modern tire rubber contains waxes that float to the surface when tires are driven so parking a vehicle like an RV outdoors and not driving it cause a lot of tires to die.

I have been driving for over 50 years and have had 14 sets of Michelins over that time, plus 6 sets of BFG's. A few sets of the Michelins have specifically gotten dry rot/ozone cracking, in roughly 5 years when they were on my van which was kept outdoors.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
50 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
917 Posts
So, the actual reason I looked at this post was... I need a new set to replace my regular tires. I have a winter set mounted on 17" steelies that I use for a few months out of the year. The 18" that came with mine are at 25k miles and they are looking a bit "tired" (because of my aggressive driving) so, there are some interesting recommendations and feedback in here. Good stuff, thanks.
Glad you found rec's and feedback.
Now with the alignment dialed back in those new tires should last you a good while. Don't forget to rotate them.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts