Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Advance CVT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 year 3 month old 12,000 miles, but treads look like in poor shape.
Michelin won't warranty them as they said they don't offer warranty on cracks.
Any opinions?

Anyone had the Goodyear WeatherReady? Not sure I want michelins again, after this experience. Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
920 Posts
LOL
Yeah...guess you don't much about tires or wheel alignment.

Your tires are fine. Your alignment needs an adjustment. Your Toe setting are off.
A good alignment and a tire rotation should take care of that problem.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
312 Posts
If those cracks are not on all tires and not all the way around, I suspect it was curbed.

·
Registered
496 Posts
2 year 3 month old 12,000 miles, but treads look like in poor shape.
Michelin won't warranty them as they said they don't offer warranty on cracks.
Any opinions?

Anyone had the Goodyear WeatherReady? Not sure I want michelins again, after this experience.
So you don't really know anything about tires based on the post, but aren't going to buy some of the best tires out again because of what?

First those tires are fine.
That isn't a warranty issue. As said, did you get an alignment when you put the tires on?
Get the alignment checked.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,292 Posts
I am a big Michelin fan but some of their tires tend to get ozone/heat cracking but usually after 4-5 years.

If all tires show this kind of micro-cracking it's not an alignment or damage issue. If you keep your car outdoors in direct sun, in a hot climate, that will worsen oxidation and cracking.

Also, what is the production date of the tires? (Look on the internet for how to decipher the week/year code.) If the tires were old when sold to you, that could be part of the problem. The CrossClimate tire was introduced in 2015 so your tires could be over 6 years old.

Nothing unsafe about driving them as they are; if chunks start falling out, then you have a problem.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,791 Posts
Check tire pressure frequently and rotate with oil change. I’ve never seen these cracks on Michelin tires that I’ve owned. Michelin will say anything to get out of a warranty replacement.
I think Discount Tire will address tire issues much better. My Defender tires are excellent.
I do spray them with silicone.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,117 Posts
Even if I would have seen that pic before I ordered I would have bought. Only have them 2 months but I r eally like them Super in rain and so stable. Bought my daughter a set also.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,680 Posts
Didn't I see and answer this same post on Reddit? Just want to point out that the info you will get here will be far better and more knowledgeable generally than what gets posted there oftentimes.
Have the alignment checked and enjoy your tires.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,138 Posts
So much negativity here. The OP is asking for help, no? To me, it doesn't look like a "defect" that would be covered. With tires, it really depends a lot on the state of your suspension, your driving, and road/weather conditions.

Personally, I like Michelin tires, but one time, with a previous sports car, I took brand new tires to the track and... after a day of fun, I had to replace 2 of my tires to the tune of $1500... 315 treads ain't cheap.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
920 Posts
So much negativity here. The OP is asking for help, no? To me, it doesn't look like a "defect" that would be covered. With tires, it really depends a lot on the state of your suspension, your driving, and road/weather conditions.

Personally, I like Michelin tires, but one time, with a previous sports car, I took brand new tires to the track and... after a day of fun, I had to replace 2 of my tires to the tune of $1500... 315 treads ain't cheap.
Negativity? Where?
His question was answered in a straight forwarded manor. No sugar coating, no hand holding. Blunt to the point answers.

As to your "track time" I say....
I guess you don't know much about tires too. Your pricy "summer tire" Michelins where not meant for real track days. I assume you have the ever popular Pilot Super Sports (the crappy version everyone got suckered into) Yeah, seen a lot of track noobs buy that tire just because the tire guy said so, or you though the "sport" means something. It's a beginner mistake.
$1500 for some 315's......I think you over paid. Unless they where run-flats...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for all the advice. Some notes answers for the questions: they were put on when car was new, 2019 Forester, 2018 date of manufacturer for tires, similar damage to all 4 tires. never curbed. Parked outside in direct sunlight for 3-4 hours a day on a steel plate. Air checked and maintained every month. Never posted to reddit. If I knew about alignment and tires, I would not be asking for opinions from strangers on the internet.

Alignment was not off by much according to the alignment machine.
Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting

Since, the cracks were also on the tire face (in between) the tread decided it was best to swap them out for safety reasons. Maybe over reacting, but better safe than sorry. Probably would not have passed Japanese vehicle safety inspection (any crack over 30mm long and 2mm deep) next March, and then stuck with buying from the dealer at full price.

Just parking them outside on a steel plate in hot summer is the only thing I can think of in terms of UV exposure, even then, only in the direct sunlight 3-4 hours a day. Some wheel cleaner was used before, and while rinsed, maybe it was not washed off completely, and got on the tire, but not enough to really soak into the treads. That is the only chemicals that would have been used near the tires.

My second experience with Michelin's. First experience was great on a Legacy GT-B, and these were great tires too in terms of grip, only issue and concern was the cracks, maybe just a bad batch.
Interesting, when buying my tires another gentlemen came in complaining about cracks in his michelins, and how the compound was not suited for Japan climate (humid summers, dry winters), blah blah blah, and he wanted to get some Yokohama tires.

Looking forward to put my new tires (Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady) through the paces this winter.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,292 Posts
I would not have expected alignment to be a problem with a 2019 Foz unless you knew you had hit something hard. After 50+ years of driving I have not experienced this kind of cracking due to alignment problems despite what some "experts" in this thread have said. Good luck with the new tires.

Michelin has had some batches of rubber that seem not to last as long as others before stress cracking and climate/UV light are definitely contributors. Do you know if your Michelins were made in the USA (most common) or might they have come from another country?

Although there is a lot of hoopla and positive confirmation bias about the Cross Climates, I'm still waiting to see how they do in the long run. They Hyrdoedge was supposed to save the world and ended up cancelled because they didn't save the world, and the Premiers with shallow tread were/are a stupid idea--if you start with 8.5/32 of tread there's not much there and they don't last. Michelin is still my favorite tire brand but not everything they do is perfect.

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,691 Posts
I can concur with 2 points brought up in the wandering of this thread - ironically both from the same source.

a big Michelin fan but some of their tires tend to get ozone/heat cracking but usually after 4-5 years.
Had this happen (quite a few years ago) when I had my "weekend" driver - a Dodge convertible - in the Vegas heat. After a few years, there were some noticeable cracks in the rubber, even with only about 20-something-thousand miles on them.

Michelin has had some batches of rubber that seem not to last as long as others before stress cracking and climate/UV light are definitely contributors.
As with most mass produced items these days - there are times when a certain lot or batch will just be a touch off in the chemical composition and lead to odd wear and tear over a short period of time. If you need proof of this (beyond tires) just look at all of the posts about "my Forester did this _" and all the responses of "really? Mine never did..."

As it should say on every diaper out there - poop happens.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i CVT
17 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the advice. Some notes answers for the questions: they were put on when car was new, 2019 Forester, 2018 date of manufacturer for tires, similar damage to all 4 tires. never curbed. Parked outside in direct sunlight for 3-4 hours a day on a steel plate. Air checked and maintained every month. Never posted to reddit. If I knew about alignment and tires, I would not be asking for opinions from strangers on the internet.

Alignment was not off by much according to the alignment machine. View attachment 561394

Since, the cracks were also on the tire face (in between) the tread decided it was best to swap them out for safety reasons. Maybe over reacting, but better safe than sorry. Probably would not have passed Japanese vehicle safety inspection (any crack over 30mm long and 2mm deep) next March, and then stuck with buying from the dealer at full price.

Just parking them outside on a steel plate in hot summer is the only thing I can think of in terms of UV exposure, even then, only in the direct sunlight 3-4 hours a day. Some wheel cleaner was used before, and while rinsed, maybe it was not washed off completely, and got on the tire, but not enough to really soak into the treads. That is the only chemicals that would have been used near the tires.

My second experience with Michelin's. First experience was great on a Legacy GT-B, and these were great tires too in terms of grip, only issue and concern was the cracks, maybe just a bad batch.
Interesting, when buying my tires another gentlemen came in complaining about cracks in his michelins, and how the compound was not suited for Japan climate (humid summers, dry winters), blah blah blah, and he wanted to get some Yokohama tires.

Looking forward to put my new tires (Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady) through the paces this winter.
Good luck with the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires. You should post a review after you have them for a while. I recently put Cooper Discoverer EnduraMax tires on my 2016 Forester. They ride more firmly than the General Altimax RT43's that I had beforehand - which weren't bad tires at all. I'm eager to find out how the Coopers do in the snow and ice.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,138 Posts
Negativity? Where?
His question was answered in a straight forwarded manor. No sugar coating, no hand holding. Blunt to the point answers.

As to your "track time" I say....
I guess you don't know much about tires too. Your pricy "summer tire" Michelins where not meant for real track days. I assume you have the ever popular Pilot Super Sports (the crappy version everyone got suckered into) Yeah, seen a lot of track noobs buy that tire just because the tire guy said so, or you though the "sport" means something. It's a beginner mistake.
$1500 for some 315's......I think you over paid. Unless they where run-flats...
LOL, bro... Summer tire? You have no idea what I did at the track or what car I was using at the time. Here's a clue, it was a Turbo Porsche (not meant as a flex either). Do you know how much it costs to mount tires of that size, especially on Porsche wheels? But whatevs. The negativity I speak of is similar to your assumptions that you made about me and my track time.

Anyways, nothing that I said was wrong. But you go on with your super smart self and shine on.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring Continuously Variable
29 Posts
I just put a set of CrossClimate 2's on my 2019 Forester Touring a few weeks ago. The tread pattern certainly has changed! I love them - very quiet and a smooth ride.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just put a set of CrossClimate 2's on my 2019 Forester Touring a few weeks ago. The tread pattern certainly has changed! I love them - very quiet and a smooth ride.
nice they have the Cross Climate 2s in N.America in Forester 18 inch sizing. They do not have them yet in Japan in 225/55R18, only the CC SUV, and original CC. I certainly liked the performance, just not the cracks.

I will see how the goodyears treat me.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 28 Posts