Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I just hit 10,000 miles on my 2019 Forester Sport. I been smelling a slight coolant smell after I put the car in park and turn off the engine after a drive. I decided to look at the coolant reservoir under the hood and noticed it is well below the fill line. There wasn’t much in it the tank. I also noticed on a cold start up white smoke coming out of the exhaust after 3-5 mins of warming up my car. I called dealer to schedule a service and it will be in on Friday. Do you guys believe this is blown head gasket? I had similar symptoms on last vehicle were the coolant leaked into the cylinders and destroy the engine on a Ford Escape. Hoping I do not have this issue again. I sometimes do carry heavy loads of videography gear in my car. I assume it puts more wear on my forester.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT7
145 Posts
If is 3-5 min after and going away can be just condensation from exhaust..
Unlike my other cars Subaru doesn’t have moisture drain on the mufflers...

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
1,945 Posts
Do you have a point of reference on the coolant loss? When did you last notice it at the full line?

·
Registered
359 Posts
It might be nothing. I had to add a small amount of coolant to ours after the first 6 months. The tube going into the reserve reservoir isn't sealed and just a loose fit. My tube was covered in white chalky powder almost like coolant is evaporating out of the unsealed tube passthrough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the tank was on the full line at 6,000 miles. That’s when the vehicle went in for service at a Subaru dealership. White smoke goes away after warm up, maybe it’s condensation, I hope so, I put my hand on the white smoke, and it smell like coolant. Is it possible to have a a small leak at the head gasket? Isn’t there some kind of test you can do to tell if it has a leak? I know I shouldn’t be smelling coolant after a drive from the inside of my car so something isn’t right. I also have delamination (bubbling) of the paint on a spot on my hood I have to talk to them about. I’m sure their going to fight me on it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah this vehicle puts out a ton of condensation at start up. Wondering if the muffler stores a bunch of water or something. A lot of the CRV owners drill a hole in the lowest point of the muffler to drain it.

You are correct you shouldn't smell coolant.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
611 Posts
This isn’t a difficult problem to diagnose. Attach a coolant pressure testing unit, apply the appropriate pressure to set the gauge to the proper level for the vehicle specifications and let it sit for several hours under pressure. If the gauge displays and reduction in pressure, then there’s a leak in the system.

Any dealership or quality independent shop should have one...

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,622 Posts
I will be interested in the conclusion here. The head circuit is suppsed to be different from the block. Should be impossible to have HG coolant leak.:unsure:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealership said the white smoke was condensation from exhaust. They tested the system and found no leaks and said the coolant was in "okay condition" and topped it off. I don't know how it was in okay condition if the coolant reservoir tank was pretty much emptied when I looked at it. I'll keep an eye on it. I'm guessing the coolant was evaporating like PearlWhite has mentioned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts