Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a forester limited. Question; has anyone had any complaints about the comfort of the driver seat. My seat is very hard and uncomfortable. Is this a common issue and if so should I just purchase a seat cushion or eat more to fill out my backside?

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,897 Posts
@chrisboyd
Hi - Welcome aboard - I see it's your first post.
I don't own a 19, but I have seen quite a few posts regarding the comfort (or lack of same) for the seats.
You can find many of these comments if you search the forum, so I'd say - Yes - This is a rather common issue.
The "fix" seems to depend on how you find it uncomfortable. Some people appear to have gone so far as seat replacement.
If it's just the seat bottom hardness, some like a gel pad, but others will tell you, that you only need to adjust your seat...
Like the comment just posted while I was typing this...
Since he is comfortable, there can't be a problem with the seat, which I'm sure is helpful information to you... Not.
I can say that a gel pad helps a lot on my motorcycle.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
152 Posts
Another factor is what were you driving before your Forester? I had a 2005 LGT wagon. The seats had more side support and were fine for my dally commute to and from work. But any trip longer than an hour would get uncomfy. The Forester feels like a luxury car compared to my old car, though tires also factor into that (45 vs 55 series sidewalls).

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,897 Posts
Not all seats and "bottoms" are created equal.
If you have a lot of built in "padding" you might consider a park bench to be "plush".
That doesn't make it comfortable for someone without any fat cells on their gluteus maximus.
I don't see how what you drove before could have anything to do with what you don't like now, but again, a gel pad goes a long way to solving a hard seat.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
83 Posts
Not all seats and "bottoms" are created equal.
If you have a lot of built in "padding" you might consider a park bench to be "plush".
That doesn't make it comfortable for someone without any fat cells on their gluteus maximus.
I don't see how what you drove before could have anything to do with what you don't like now, but again, a gel pad goes a long way to solving a hard seat.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
83 Posts
I'd agree with DragonSubie7 - "not all bottoms are created equal", so what's comfortable for one may be miserable for another. My bottom and my 2019 Forester seat seem well matched, completely comfortable (even for 800 mile trip from LA area to Phoenix, long hours of driving)

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Tour CVT
313 Posts
on my '17 touring i had a local upholstery shop add some softer foam in the bottom front seats.. that helped a LOT.. BUT I also had to find the 'best' seat position for me.. Which was higher and flatter (or more level).. also leaning the back of the seat back just a little helped the lumbar support fill in at my back much better

IF you are looking for a great seat you need this cushion.. Just order it, dont think about the price.. If you buy on price you will go through many other cushions and still not be happy (or comfortable)

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
448 Posts
I will throw in my 2 cents, I tried out several different seat cushions in my 2015 including a Conformax (not sure if exact same model thatguy2 has) 3-4 years ago before getting this Lifeform model at a Relax the Back store https://relaxtheback.com/products/lifeform-travel-lite-seat-cushion and while very pricey I absolutely have loved it for cushioning and support. My sister has had same model in her Honda Cr-v for even longer and this cushion keeps its cushioning and wears extremely well. Only negatives are the memory foam will be firmer for awhile during very cold weather until your body heat (or seat heater) softens it, and it's 2.5 inches tall. I'm 5'9" and have the driver seat at lowest height and have no issues with getting a comfortable driving position. The gel cushions I tried felt weird, like I was sitting on jello and not planted in the seat. I think memory foam for me was the answer.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
665 Posts
I will throw in my 2 cents, I tried out several different seat cushions in my 2015 including a Conformax (not sure if exact same model thatguy2 has) 3-4 years ago before getting this Lifeform model at a Relax the Back store https://relaxtheback.com/products/lifeform-travel-lite-seat-cushion and while very pricey I absolutely have loved it for cushioning and support. My sister has had same model in her Honda Cr-v for even longer and this cushion keeps its cushioning and wears extremely well. Only negatives are the memory foam will be firmer for awhile during very cold weather until your body heat (or seat heater) softens it, and it's 2.5 inches tall. I'm 5'9" and have the driver seat at lowest height and have no issues with getting a comfortable driving position. The gel cushions I tried felt weird, like I was sitting on jello and not planted in the seat. I think memory foam for me was the answer.
I think you kind of hit the nail on the head kobai-iro. Daily drivers and soccer Mom vehicles tend to be fitted with seats that one sits "on" rather than "in". Leather is even more "on" than fabric. The problem with thick pads is that they place you higher and therefor the side bolsters, which are already minimal, are minimized even more. I wish seats from some other Subaru models would drop in and still have side air bags and adjustments work properly. Maybe they are out there but the "Ultimate Seat Thread" is rather out of date.

GD

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,283 Posts
I initially found the seat cushion of my 2018 Limited to be hard and uncomfortable, but now after a year of driving it is fine. It took about 6 months for either the seat cushion or my butt to break in.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
222 Posts
I have a 2019 Forester Touring I drove from Knoxville to South Florida in one day. It was comfortable for me. I have the leather seats.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
448 Posts
I think you kind of hit the nail on the head kobai-iro. Daily drivers and soccer Mom vehicles tend to be fitted with seats that one sits "on" rather than "in". Leather is even more "on" than fabric. The problem with thick pads is that they place you higher and therefor the side bolsters, which are already minimal, are minimized even more. I wish seats from some other Subaru models would drop in and still have side air bags and adjustments work properly. Maybe they are out there but the "Ultimate Seat Thread" is rather out of date.

GD
The Lifeform cushion is thick but if that isn't an issue with someone it is wide and has slight upturned side bolstering which to me gives enough lateral support. The cushion doesn't move or slide around at all and adds a bit more thigh support too. I definitely prefer fabric over leather or vinyl. I agree that most vehicles except the real sporty ones get the generic one size fits all flattish seat bottoms. Bucket seats should fit you better- have sport seat options and yes it would be nice to be able to drop in seats from other Subaru models without modifications.

·
Registered
2019 Forester 2.5 Touring
8 Posts
I just purchased a forester limited. Question; has anyone had any complaints about the comfort of the driver seat. My seat is very hard and uncomfortable. Is this a common issue and if so should I just purchase a seat cushion or eat more to fill out my backside?
Ive got 2019 Touring, but I have found the seats to be fine on my multiple 12 hour+ drives.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
854 Posts
I'd say biggest problem with Foreste

GD
Agreed. I'd say biggest problem with Forester seats is the lack of lumbar support on base models and insufficient on higher end models that require you buy a bunch of crap I didn't want. Apparently Subaru thinks base model buyers shouldn't be comfortable in the car we paid for lol. I'm slender to medium build and prefer firm seats with good side bolsters and adjusability, sometimes long drives needs to reposition.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.0 XT CVT
13 Posts
I had same issue with my 2017 2.0XT. I took the car to a upholsterer and he filled the seat with polyurethane foam in specific places: behind the waist and below the donkey. It worked fine and now the seat is comfortable. Try doing the same.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CWP/Brown 2018 Crosstrek Limited White/Gray
198 Posts
I'm 6'5", 210 lbs, 69 years old. I have a 2019 Touring, I just got back from a visit to an old friend 180 miles away. I was very comfortable on the drive. The touring has power seats which to me is a must (oh and my wife of 44 years is 4'11"!), I do find that for me it's not easy to find the perfect seat position, but it's not uncomfortable.

And at 6'5" my seat is as high as it goes, this is a 1st for me

I have seen several threads on seat comfort so you're not alone.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
3 Posts
I thought it was just me. We just got our 2019 Sport a few weeks ago and felt the seat cushion was a bit stiff, and the lumbar support just doesn’t seem to fit my back right. We’ll be taking a long road trip in a few weeks so I guess I’ll see how it goes. Hope the seat breaks in and soften up over time.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5CVT
1 Posts
I had a 2015 Forester Limited and the seats were very uncomfortable. It was so uncomfortable, I would rent a car to go on trips longer than a couple hours. I purchased a 2019 Forester Sport and I find the seats more comfortable than the 2015 leather seats. I figure the cloth seats are just more comfortable, or they listened to the many complaints that they received from past Forester owners.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts