Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I'm new to the group and would like to know if anybody can help. I have a 2019 Forester Sport and yesterday the Combination Meter Display just blank out. I don't know how to get the display back and there is nothing on YouTube that can help. Thank you...

Speedometer Gauge Odometer Measuring instrument Trip computer
Land vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design Speedometer

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,702 Posts
The display shown in your pic looks like what I see in my 19, depending on what screen I’ve selected. What specifically is wrong with yours?

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
1,634 Posts
Maybe @SubLover only used that image to show what isn't illuminating anymore?

If there is warranty left, I would consult a dealer. It's possible the instrument cluster has a board failure. Or there may simply be a connection that has come loose.

I don't know of a way to make the display go totally blank, only to toggle between displays.

As @boureesub said, a more detailed description may help.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the reply...
Yes, the photo just to imply what it was before but picture the middle screen just went blank as nothing at all, no lines, no light, nothing.

Seems all still functioning just you don't see nothing. I have to use the other small screen middle-top for gas indicator for remaining distance the car can drive before running out.

Again... thank you

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,702 Posts
The only shot-in-the-dark suggestion I have is to disconnect your battery for a few minutes to see if something magically resets. Sorry.

Let us know if you decide to let the dealer have a go at it. Hate to think what the cost might be. Possibly still in warranty I guess.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only shot-shot-in-the-dark suggestion I have is to disconnect your battery for a few minutes to see if something magically resets. Sorry.

Let us know if you decide to let the dealer have a go at it. Hate to think what the cost might be. Possibly still in warranty I guess.
I was actually thinking of this... thanks. I will update back but anymore helpful tips are greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2020 Forester base model.
64 Posts
Not sure if it could be the same thing but all my displays went very dark once and no matter how much I adjusted the dash display lights it stayed dark. Turns out that the photo cell that is on the dash board was blocked (someone had their hat up there) and that caused all dash lights to be very dim. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Touring AKA BronzFoz
132 Posts
Could be a cracked solder joint on the board somewhere, a loose LCD ribbon cable or the LCD failed itself. Hopefully it's the second scenario as it's the most possible due to vibrations and bumps causing the cable to loosen overtime. To get to it you need to disassemble the gauge cluster down to the board. This cable should be right there. Unplug it, plug it back in and secure it with some electrical tape so it won't move again. Now if the LCD failed then it gets more complex. You'll need a donor cluster where you'll have to transfer either the EEPROM from old to new or LCD from new to old. The EEPROM stores your milage and immobilizer data. Hope this helps in some sorta way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts