Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Forester and for the longest time, I didn’t know where to put my phone. I have an iPhone 8Plus so it is big. It wouldn’t fit in any of the slots. I was told to mount it on the air vent, but I live in Texas and we NEED the air! I came up with this solution which works great for me. The phone is in the cubby and hooked up to car play with a right angle short cord.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
if you have instagram, check my post on where i mounted mine. frijoles.24
the small picture is the air vent in my hand

·
Registered
92 Posts
Agree with elDubDub. Must have hard connection for Apple Car Play. This allows me to view navigation on the 8" screen. In my 09 Forester, I had the Navi deck and could always see the map when driving everywhere. I really do miss this feature.

With the 2019, I have to connect the cable everytime and hit the Car Play button to see the Navigation. Also, can't add or change the route when driving on the 8" monitor, but you can do it on the iPhone. So, I have my phone mounted to the glass with suction cup.

I used it this way in the 09 Forester and much prefer this option. The manual says not to do this because of eyesight, but I have done it this way for 3 weeks now and there is no adverse affect to Eyesight and I use the lane assist feature quite often.

For the cable solution I really do not like a hanging cable in front of the LCD screen and just dangling. So, I ran a 10ft hidden iphone cable. I did not want to alter or drill any holes into the trim panel. So, I explored a bit. In the USB bay area there is an LED lamp that turns on with the headlights. It is very dim and not bright enough to see the USB ports. So, I removed it, ran the USB cable through this hole then ran the cable under teh dash, up the left pillar trim and tucked under the headliner. The cable comes out at the center between the eyesight cameras and I hid it in the cable guide where the Homelink mirror cable is located.

Works great and looks great. Now I can mount my phone to the Topeak Car Adapter, plug it into the USB cable and use Car Play navigation and audio features. When I leave, I take teh phone and have the same ToPeak iPhone XS case that mounts to my road or mountain bike. One case, one mount, many places to drive and ride!

🤓🤓🤓

The first photo shows the ToPeak window mount just under the radar detector (mounted to mirror arm, not window). the USB cable is long enough so I can connect and set the phone on the top dash area. Or I tuck the cable under the clip for the radar detector like you see it in the photo. This keeps the cable out of the way.

The second photo is from the front of the car. You can see the window mount, the radar detector and the cable tucked into the detector clip. This is nice and neat and out of the way.
Just me, but I find it totally bizarre that Subaru designed a car that requires customers to have to go through all this. Why couldn't they have just planned for a place to put the phones that would be connected to CarPlay?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Just me, but I find it totally bizarre that Subaru designed a car that requires customers to have to go through all this. Why couldn't they have just planned for a place to put the phones that would be connected to CarPlay?
I can think of two reasons that Subaru doesn’t include some provision to mount cell phones:
  1. Smartphones vary in size and connector types just enough that creating a universal mount is problematic. Further, the sizes change every year.
  2. One of the intentions of both Android Auto and CarPlay is to get drivers from looking at and interacting with their phones while driving, shifting functions to voice control and the dash display. Any mount that allowed phone screen or button access is a potential civil liability.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You might be right, but there really isn't a good place to put a phone when it is plugged into car play. I have an iPhone XR, not big at all but when its plugged in it won't fit into the cubby.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I can think of two reasons that Subaru doesn’t include some provision to mount cell phones:
  1. Smartphones vary in size and connector types just enough that creating a universal mount is problematic. Further, the sizes change every year.
  2. One of the intentions of both Android Auto and CarPlay is to get drivers from looking at and interacting with their phones while driving, shifting functions to voice control and the dash display. Any mount that allowed phone screen or button access is a potential civil liability.
I wasn't thinking of any provision to access or even look at phone, just a place to neatly store and connect

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I wasn't thinking of any provision to access or even look at phone, just a place to neatly store and connect
The front dash cubby works well enough for a basic "neatly store and connect" location, especially if you add some nonskid material to the lower surface. The problem is that most of us want exactly what CarPlay and Android Auto are trying to avoid--being able to see and interact with the phone display. CarPlay is versatile enough that I seldom have to touch my phone once I have it in the dock, but I still like to be able to see the display.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The front dash cubby works well enough for a basic "neatly store and connect" location, especially ..
I have a 2018 but change the infotainment to a Kenwood 9904s that has CarPlay and I am running iOS 13 beta 7 on my iPhone. One of the features implemented is that will divide the screen I have Map in one larger and the 3 smaller to the right on one is Calendar which links an appointment to the map giving estimated time to location. If you look at some of web sites that talk about iOS 13 and CarPlay you will be pleased. Some downsides if you use Waze you have to manually speak your address rather than Siri probably because of Google.
Lou Cioccio

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a 2018 but change the infotainment to a Kenwood 9904s that has CarPlay and I am running iOS 13 beta 7 on my iPhone. One of the features implemented is that will divide the screen I have Map in one larger and the 3 smaller to the right on one is Calendar which links an appointment to the map giving estimated time to location. If you look at some of web sites that talk about iOS 13 and CarPlay you will be pleased. Some downsides if you use Waze you have to manually speak your address rather than Siri probably because of Google.
Lou Cioccio
LouCioccio,
Can you tell me if the new CarPlay allows you to zoom in/out with the maps provided by Google or Waze? There are times it would be helpful to zoom out and see the big picture, but that functionality is presently limited to the on-board NAV map.

·
Registered
110 Posts
LouCioccio,
Can you tell me if the new CarPlay allows you to zoom in/out with the maps provided by Google or Waze? There are times it would be helpful to zoom out and see the big picture, but that functionality is presently limited to the on-board NAV map.
Apple maps, Google and Waze all allow zooming in and out

81 - 92 of 92 Posts