Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Forester 2019 with CarPlay. I use it with my iPhone 11 Pro, to get navigation on the car's screen. It works great and I am very pleased, but need one additional feature, the ability to connect CarPlay via Bluetooth rather than a lightening cable. It is not convenient to have to plug in a cable every time I get in the car. I checked Amazon and see a bunch of USB->Bluetooth adapters. Has any one tried this? Any thoughts, recommendations, etc.?
(I know this is generally possible because a friend connects CarPlay via Bluetooth in her 2020 BMW X3 (worked the same her 2017 X3) - she never has to touch a cable.)

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
135 Posts
Although I have 2018 I replaced the infotainment radio with a Kenwood 9904s so I can say mine does not support it only by cable. From the above link you may have to check your manual. My guess it does not but am sure someone will correct me.
Lou Cioccio

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
611 Posts
No, the 2019 Forester only supports CarPlay via cable connection. And, IIRC, that limitation is noted in the owner‘s manual covering the infotainment system (it’s on page 113 of my manual).

AFAIK, Subaru only supports the cable connected version in any of its vehicle line. There are some manufacturers that do offer Bluetooth connectivity for CarPlay, and I believe BMW is one.

It just hasn’t filtered down to every manufacturer yet.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
132 Posts
Only certain manufacturers at the moment support non-wired CarPlay - as stated. Also I think if you could you'd use a lot of battery that way so you'd want wireless charging also - again only a very few support both these days.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Limited, 2007 Impreza Outback Sport SE 5MT
65 Posts
The problem with CarPlay is that because of how much data is transferred to mirror the OS on the radio is that Bluetooth cannot keep up with it, any manufacturer (either OEM or Aftermarket) that supports wireless CarPlay has to use a special WiFi based connection, which is a cost consideration in many OEM’s applications. Allegedly, the reason BMW requires a subscription for wireless CarPlay is that the software on the HU would need to be regularly updated as iOS is updated to stay current, I don’t know how true that part is or if they’re just justifying maying people pay to use a stand feature in many cars, but I typically don’t keep my phone in my pocket when I use CarPlay and don’t mind plugging it in, seems simple enough and reliable each time. That’s why on your iPhone there is a special way to set up wireless CarPlay through settings since it’s through WiFi

So pretty much Subaru would need a dedicated in car WiFi network to run wireless CarPlay and there is no way for you to do so over Bluetooth

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,019 Posts
The only way a dongle would work with the Subaru HU is for it to be a wireless USB receiver, and you would also need a wireless USB transmitter plugged into your phone. Because your HU only receives CarPlay data via USB, period. Most of the “wireless CarPlay adaptor” dongles you see advertised require Android head units, which most brand-name (including Subaru) HUs are not.

As noted, wireless CarPlay does not use Bluetooth anyway. Insufficient bandwidth. It uses wifi. If you had a HU with a wifi hotspot, in theory a firmware update to that HU could implement wireless CarPlay. But I’ve never heard of that happening, and if it ever did it wouldn’t be Subaru that did it first.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
611 Posts
This thread brings up an interesting issue (maybe) in the near future, namely the rumor that the next iPhone to be introduced will probably be sealed and have no power connector.

If true, exactly how will a USB connection be made to the head unit for CarPlay to function?

I’m probably missing something very obvious here...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If true, exactly how will a USB connection be made to the head unit for CarPlay to function?
That's a new one on me. There are plenty of stories about Apple dumping the Lightning connector in favor of USB-C, in light of the recent EU ruling, but that port is IMO simply too critical for too many functions to be dispensed with in some form. Not just for charging and audio and Carplay, but for so many third-party accessories in photography, music production, etc.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Well, if Apple does this, the obvious answer is to not buy the phone. Which has been the obvious answer to a lot of Apples consumer-hostile choices over the years. Anyway, I doubt they are dumb enough to do this with all their phones, even if they do may a "high end" connectorless model.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Base - Magnetite Gray Metallic
174 Posts
I use Android Auto and while not a total fix, maybe make it easier...

I have a Car charger Mount that holds my Android phone when I drive, and I wrapped my USB-C cable to it so I just have to plug it in without having to fool around looking for the cable, makes it easier to connect. Also it doesn't hurt that my Asus R.O.G. Phone 2 has a charger plug on the bottom and on the left side. :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
This thread brings up an interesting issue (maybe) in the near future, namely the rumor that the next iPhone to be introduced will probably be sealed and have no power connector.

I’m probably missing something very obvious here...
LOL that definitely sounds like something Apple would do.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have a Forester 2019 with CarPlay. I use it with my iPhone 11 Pro, to get navigation on the car's screen. It works great and I am very pleased, but need one additional feature, the ability to connect CarPlay via Bluetooth rather than a lightening cable. It is not convenient to have to plug in a cable every time I get in the car. I checked Amazon and see a bunch of USB->Bluetooth adapters. Has any one tried this? Any thoughts, recommendations, etc.?
(I know this is generally possible because a friend connects CarPlay via Bluetooth in her 2020 BMW X3 (worked the same her 2017 X3) - she never has to touch a cable.)
It's honestly pointless without wireless charging. Before my son's Legacy was totaled, he had a Kenwood with wireless AA, he like it because on short drives he didn't have to plug, but for anything that was more than 30 minutes he still plugged in because of drain on the phone battery.

You do realize the base X3 AWD is 44k right? Basically 9k more than the top model Forester?

Why do people keep comparing stuff like this?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
16 Posts
your friend is the lucky one! BMW is one of the few automaker support Carplay via Bluetooth! majority of cars out there these days require you to use a cable. I don't think USB to Bluetooth cable gonna help you. That's made for transfer audio.

·
Registered
2019 Premium CVT
64 Posts

My 2019 Forester Premium supports iTunes via bluetooth but not navigation. The head was just updated at the dealership and it now connects every time via the USB cord instead of randomly. But for navigation you will still need a USB cord.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I also have a 2019 Forester and only connect my iPone direct when required which is not very often with the infotainment system.
For convenience I purchased the shortest cable direct from Apple Store.
Very pleased with setup. 👍

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2019 Forester Premium supports iTunes via bluetooth but not navigation. The head was just updated at the dealership and it now connects every time via the USB cord instead of randomly. But for navigation you will still need a USB cord.
You can try star link lol. There is a nav app in there

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You can try star link lol. There is a nav app in there
Not on most Foresters. Nav is only available (as an option) on the Touring. Other Starlink systems offer only Android Auto/Apple Carplay for navigation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts