Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2019 Forster to the local car wash and while going through the dry section it sounded the top was getting pounded in. When I got out I looked at the roof and saw a big dent toward the rear. Before trying to do anything to it I let the staff know for them to document it. It eventually pop out on its own when I sat down in it. There does not appear to be any creases but jeez...kinda thin metal back there. Not sure its great for the metal to keep getting pushed in and popped back out.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
187 Posts
Did anything phyically touch it, like a guide roller, or do you think is this due to the force of the air? Those blowers buffet the car pretty hard, but I've not taken my Forester through a wash.

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
161 Posts
Wow thats a heck of an air drier. I dont think anyone has ever accused a Subaru of being 'overbuilt' and thats good evidence of why. Glad it popped back out

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing touched it...it was all air. It is a newly built car wash owned by the same company. I usually go to a different one closer to my house. As I rolled through I could hear the roof buckling. Thankfully when it popped out there does not seem to be any creases or anything.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,147 Posts
Have to be careful up there. When I coat mine it is super sensitive and pushes in easily with minimal force

·
Registered
'06 FXT 6MT
20 Posts
I would actually take it back to the dealer. There is no reason an air dryer should be able to crease the roof like that, I would be willing to bet that something happened on the manufacturing line to dent the roof before hand and the air dryer just revealed the problem.

The "hammering" sound you heard is the already damaged roof popping between the bent shape and the standard shape under tension. Basically, someone pulled the dent out but the metal was still deformed.

Never ever heard of this happening on a roof that wasn't previously damaged or defective in some way.

·
Registered
126 Posts
All cars have very thin roofs. Go try to push in the roof and you will see you can do that very easily.
Also, why do people use auto car washes? I would never ever use them since it basically scratches your paint. The rotating clothes act as a sand paper from collecting all the dirt and debris from previous washes. I'm guessing most of you guys never heard of the two bucket wash method?

·
Registered
'06 FXT 6MT
20 Posts
They bend easily, they don't permanently deform without creasing the metal though. Also, there is such a thing as a touchless automatic car wash.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I might mention it to the dealer but I am not sure anything is "wrong" with the car. It is how it is built I suppose. I started looking around and see that a lot of the sheet metal is not thick and feels like it would dent easy. Lighter weight results in better mpg so I understand why. I was just kinda surprised at how bad it was.

·
Registered
2018 Forester
61 Posts
Honestly I am surprised at Subaru for going that cheap. I found the same thing on the doors being very thin metal. I popped a small dent out using the glue and plunger. Time to buy a paint less dent remover kit. I did. Soo cheap, shame on them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Honestly I am surprised at Subaru for going that cheap. I found the same thing on the doors being very thin metal. I popped a small dent out using the glue and plunger. Time to buy a paint less dent remover kit. I did. Soo cheap, shame on them.
I don’t think you have any idea what you are talking about. It’s not subaru, it’s the whole car industry. Building a car to a standard and regulations isn’t as easy as 123 or abc. The car needs to be lightweight to meet certain epa mpg, it needs to crumble when in a collision impact, etc etc. Modern cars will never ever be built like in the 70’s 80’s with heavy steel construction. It’s not safe and it’s not efficient.

·
Registered
2016 Foz CVT
826 Posts
Also, why do people use auto car washes? I would never ever use them since it basically scratches your paint. The rotating clothes act as a sand paper from collecting all the dirt and debris from previous washes. I'm guessing most of you guys never heard of the two bucket wash method?
Never heard of a touchless car wash?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
84 Posts
All cars have very thin roofs. Go try to push in the roof and you will see you can do that very easily.
Believe it or not, not everyone has access to a hose, and the two bucket method doesn’t work so well without one. Also, even with a hose I doubt I’d be standing outside washing a car in the dead of winter.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
607 Posts
Modern cars will never ever be built like in the 70’s 80’s with heavy steel construction. It’s not safe and it’s not efficient.
Yep. In those and earlier cars you were the crumple zone. It is one of the main reasons the per capita death toll was much higher than it is today.

I suspect the thinner roof metal is more about lowering the centre of gravity than cost.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Never heard of a touchless car wash?
I have.. but I'm a car enthusiast and I guess I assumed people here are as well... Have a 2015 BMW X5, 2018 Corvette ZO6 currently and I never use anything but my hands on my cars.
In dead of winter here in NJ, I use a glacier glove you can get them on amazon here https://www.amazon.com/Glacier-Glove-802BK-M-Perfect-Curve/dp/B0029YI6QU/ref=sr_1_7?crid=27JCGPQX8HWBF&dchild=1&keywords=glacier+glove+ice+bay+fishing+glove&qid=1573569216&sprefix=glacier+glove,aps,130&sr=8-7 and I don't feel any cold water.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I understand the thin metal to help with MPG but maybe they should have gone a bit thicker or put some reinforcement in there.

FWIW, I wash my car by hand sometimes and sometimes I run it through a car wash. I too am a car enthusiast and hopefully, I don't get booted from the club for running my vehicles through a car wash. I have received many more scratches from branches on the trail than the car wash. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts