Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I will be relocating to Canada from the U.S. I was wondering if the Canadian version have similar optional packages as the U.S such as the optional package 32 that comes with nav system, 576 watt premium audio system, reverse auto break, heated steering wheel.

Also would you advise to buy it in Canada vs. U.S?

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,265 Posts
Not sure about the 19, but generally Canada gets everything US does (sometimes more) and cold weather options like heated wheel, heated back seats, block heater etc

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, also how different are the Canadian dealerships in terms of negotiating the price? In the US usually we can do $1k-$2k below invoice?

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 4EAT
152 Posts
Oh, man... sorry to hear that. :surprise: Is that self inflicted or are you being punished by your employer ??? >:).... As for the Forester, I'd buy one in the States, if I were you. Forget the invoice, you'll be very lucky to get $1-$2 K off MSRP in Canada.

·
Registered
2016 Forester
902 Posts
Price is higher but has more standard equipment. We also don't have tons of option packages, in fact there are none, what you get with that trim is what you get, unless it's a dealer installed option.

What you should look into is whether if you'll need to pay tax again upon entry into Canada, what modifications will be required for it to be registered in Canada if any, if you can get warranty work done for an US car here, and if cost of insurance will be different.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 4EAT
152 Posts
What you should look into is whether if you'll need to pay tax again upon entry into Canada, what modifications will be required for it to be registered in Canada if any, if you can get warranty work done for an US car here
All excellent and valid points.:thumbsup: Luckily, they do not apply to OP, since he is a US citizen relocating to Canada, not a Canadian citizen importing a vehicle from US.

·
Registered
19 Forester cvt
73 Posts
All excellent and valid points.:thumbsup: Luckily, they do not apply to OP, since he is a US citizen relocating to Canada, not a Canadian citizen importing a vehicle from US.

If you buy a car in one state in the US and register it in another, the sales tax is paid to the state you're registering it in. If you move to a new state, to register the car there, in at least some states you have to pay the equivalent of sales tax on the trade-in book value at the time of your registration there. In some states if you're buying a car and you already live in another state you can get temporary tags good for a certain number of days, and not have to register the car -- and pay tax -- until you're in the new state. But some states don't have temporary plates. So if for instance you buy a car in Massachusetts and live in Vermont, the dealer will have someone drive the car up with dealer plates on it to the Vermont registration bureau, to get Vermont plates on it, and then deliver your car.

Can you get into Canada with a car with temporary plates on it? If not, you'll pay sales tax on the car in the US. And then if the Canadian province works like many US states, pay the tax again when you register the car in Canada.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5 MT
523 Posts
You don't say if it's a temporary or permanent assignment. If it's fairly long term I would consider leasing one in Canada rather than buying one. Main differences are that the Canadian cars have speed and odometer in Kilometers and TPMS is not required in Canada (that's a US thing).

If you are entering Canada on a work permit you can import your vehicle without modifications for the validity of your work permit:

Visitors, tourists and temporary residents entering Canada with foreign owned vehicles - Transport Canada

If your plan is to return to the US after your job assignment in Canada I would buy the car in the US and bring it back with you.

There are also specific rules for registering a vehicle that vary between each province. You don't say where you are being transferred to so I can't offer advice.

·
Registered
2019 Premium CVT
64 Posts
You might also want to take into account a) the buying power of the U.S. $ in Canada (U.S. $ worth 34¢ more than CDN $ currently) and b) the import duty that will be payable when you bring the Canadian Forester back into the U.S.

Btw, Chrysler used to prohibit their Canadian dealers from selling to U.S. residents (because you could buy the same Chrysler for less in Canada -- thanks to the exchange rate).

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
637 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5 MT
523 Posts
Honestly as a job reassignment to Canada goes there are much bigger issues to concern yourself with than buying a car in US or Canada. Taxes, healthcare, social security participation to name a few. I'd be happy to fill you in on things I learned the hard way when moving from Canada to the US.

The main issue is how long, which province and will you be bringing the car back to the US.

PM me

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys thanks a lot for the help. I will be in the Alberta province for 6 years. Problem is I will be driving from California. We have one family car so I don't want to drive two cars up here. I guess I can look into shipping my car over if I do decide to purchase the forester in the U.S.

·
Registered
2016 Forester
902 Posts
For 6 years just buy/lease one here, the money you may save is probably not worth the headache. And if you have to pay tax on it then you'll end up break even or lose money.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 4EAT
152 Posts
Problem is I will be driving from California. We have one family car so I don't want to drive two cars up here. I guess I can look into shipping my car over if I do decide to purchase the forester in the U.S.
I agree with jzmtl , and take back what I said earlier. Under these circumstances, you'd be better off buying in Canada. Alberta does not have a Provincial sales tax, therefore you'll only have to pay 5% GST on your purchase..... Besides, you'll have plenty of things on your mind while relocating, without having to add more stress to the situation. Good luck with your move.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
109 Posts
Let us know what you decide. Unencombered by the thought process, I would look at all the issues stated here carefully.
1. Since you can use US dollars, as stated, you have to look at the exchange rate in your calculation.
2. The bottom line in both countries is the only number that matters.
3. If you decide to come back to the US (More Canadians percentage wise come to the US than visa versa) what are the ramifications of trying to bring a Canadian Spec car into the US and what will the fees be both ways.
Better you than me

1 - 17 of 17 Posts