Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After two back to back road trips, this car collects a considerable amount of carnage.

Wondering if anyone has installed the bug deflector on the hood and if it actually works for the windshield or not.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
143 Posts
I installed last year the aftermarket hood deflector from Advance Auto (got it for half the price of the OEM) but they are similiar. I think it protects hood better than windshield, I see it creating an updraft at speed but many insects still reach the windshield. But spares the hood many.

·
Registered
2018 2018 Forester XT CVT
12 Posts
I am looking to fit the OEM version E231SSG200. It is not available in the UK so I am trying to find out if it will fit my European 2018 FXT.

The uK dealers are aware of it but its not available too them which is strange as there is one for the Outback available in the UK!

If there is anyone with a 2018 FXT with one fitted it would be good to see some pics, I have seen a few threads on it but the grills look different than mine. As I would have to order it from USA i want to be as certain as possible that it will fit Maybe someone from Subarupartsonline could have a look for me.

Pics below of my hood / bonnet as w call it over this side of the pond.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
213 Posts
Hi, Have a 2019 Fozzi and I am considering the Subaru hood deflector. I see there is an hour labor. Since I DIY quite a bit. Is there a special technique on installing it or remove some screws and install with longer screws? Is there a special step to ensure you don’t cause rust by doing it?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi, Have a 2019 Fozzi and I am considering the Subaru hood deflector. I see there is an hour labor. Since I DIY quite a bit. Is there a special technique on installing it or remove some screws and install with longer screws? Is there a special step to ensure you don’t cause rust by doing it?
I installed the OEM one myself on our 2019. Just follow the directions as it was pretty straight forward. The only recommendation I have is don't apply the clear stick tape under the rubber bump stops until after you have finished the complete install. Where you think the clear stick tape needs to be ends up different once the bug deflector install is finished. Once the install is finished, lightly pry up and mark where the rubber stops contact the hood with some tape or anything really. Remove the bug deflector by removing all screws. Then apply the clear tape in the locations you just marked. Reinstall the bug deflector. I'm only talking about the tape under the rubber bumpers. By all means apply the clear tape under the metal hood mounts first just like the directions show to avoid scratching the hood. If installed properly I see no reason this OEM deflector would cause any rust.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thank you for sharing:

Now that you installed it and if you have experienced it in different conditions. I have some questions:
Does it deflect bugs well?
Did you experience a Gas mileage change?
Is there a better experience with it in heavy rain?

I was looking earlier on web and see different prices and will of course go with best OTD price!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I installed the OEM deflector in the first week of ownership so I have no idea on any changes. I can't imagine it does much since it's very low profile so as not to interfere with the eyesight cameras. It appears to protect the hood from rock chips and it looks good so I'm happy...

·
Registered
2018 Premium 2.5i 6M
96 Posts
I had an OEM bug-deflector on my 2000 Forester since Day 1. On my '18, I went with a clear bra because with that bug deflector, it built up so much dirt and road crud underneath for 18 years (difficult/major hassle to try to clean the area between the body and deflector) that the paint eventually wore away down to the metal. Personally, I'd recommend against it, as cool/stylish as it looks. I wish I had photos of it to show.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks for the advise. The only rub I have heard on the bra is. When it is removed you can see the paint looks better under the bra compared to rest of the vehicle?

I guess I will place a bug screen on front of vehicle for Spring/Summer. To remove bug splats on windshield and body see web advice of soak splats with olive oil or baking soda? I am investigating whether that is an inert solution.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i CVT
1 Posts
A buddy of mine purchased one for his '18 but didn't install it. Apparently, it screws with the eyesight system, if you have one. Something to consider.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
After two back to back road trips, this car collects a considerable amount of carnage.

Wondering if anyone has installed the bug deflector on the hood and if it actually works for the windshield or not.
I have the expensive one installed by Subaru Dealership and its waste of hard earned money. Its not like the one i have in my trucks and not even close to the one i have in my 2002 Toyota Highlander which really deflects some lightweight rocks and bugs. This deflector they installed is more of hood protector not deflector. And i can't find anything in the market any variations because its too new. I think Subaru doesn't want to make a real bug rock deflector because they wanted to maintain the shape of the hood which gives Forester that unique "you can easy the road more" feature. Do not buy it if your intention is to protect your windshield. I am now waiting for Subaru to replace my windshield for my wife's 2019 Forester, it was hit by a pea size solid stone. If you can find one in the market a deflector that has a higher shield percentage to deflect rocks and bugs please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed last year the aftermarket hood deflector from Advance Auto (got it for half the price of the OEM) but they are similiar. I think it protects hood better than windshield, I see it creating an updraft at speed but many insects still reach the windshield. But spares the hood many.
The OEM installed in mine only protects the front part of the hood that's all and not defecting anything. A pea size stone hit my windshield. I am Waiting now for my windshield to be replace. Im thinking of installing a generic truck bug deflector like the one installed on my trucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A buddy of mine purchased one for his '18 but didn't install it. Apparently, it screws with the eyesight system, if you have one. Something to consider.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I think that's the reason why they design this deflector in low low profile which makes it useless. I have one installed and its totally waste of money and now i am waiting for a new windshield for a pea size rock hit my 2019 Fozzy windshield.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
172 Posts
Good to know.. I was contemplating on getting to protect the hood from road debris, but I dislike the fact that over time it would collect debris under it. I'll take my chances going naked on my hood like I do all my cars and just don't drive too closely behind cars that may kick up rocks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts