Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
420 Posts
Ok, I bought a used one on ebay. The black plug is the same. The gray plug is different. The Sport uses an 8 pin connector and the Limited/Touring uses a 10 pin connector.

I think I can buy a replacement plug and need to figure out the wiring schematic to wire this up. I think I can get the DRL LED to operate, but I do not think I can wire up the steering responsive motor. The extra wires are likely controlling that motor. If anyone has a wiring schematic for both models, please shoot it my way.

More to come.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok, I bought a used one on ebay. The black plug is the same. The gray plug is different. The Sport uses an 8 pin connector and the Limited/Touring uses a 10 pin connector.

I think I can buy a replacement plug and need to figure out the wiring schematic to wire this up. I think I can get the DRL LED to operate, but I do not think I can wire up the steering responsive motor. The extra wires are likely controlling that motor. If anyone has a wiring schematic for both models, please shoot it my way.

More to come.
Awesome! I’m waiting for this as well. I’m new here just ordered my 19 sport. Coming in 2 weeks though and I noticed after that it doesn’t have C shaped DRL Smh. Bummer. But I’m fed willing to experiment once I get the truck in my hands.

Btw do you have a volt meter. Try checking signals on each lead as you turn on and off ignition and lights blinkers etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
420 Posts
I'm not sure I like the new picture editor in this upgrade. Maybe I will get used to it. The picture in the last post was with the LED DRL. It uses a 10 pin and 6 pin connector. The 10 pin has 9 wires. The 6 pin uses 5 wires. Below is a picture of the back side wire colors.

The next photo is from the Sport headlight without steering response or LED DRL. It features a gray 8 pin connector with 4 wires and a black 6 pin connector with 3 wires.

Here is a look at the female harnesses for the Sport.

Here is a final look for now. This shows the black connector from teh Sport connected to the LED DRL headlight black connector and the mismatch with the gray connectors. 10 pin male belongs to LED DRL headlight and 8 pin female is the Sport harness female connector.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok so the black plug on our sport. Looks like it’s used for the blinkers and the side parking lights. The 3 wires being ground, constant and flash. I wonder if the DRL are the extra 2 wires on that same plug. Positive and trigger maybe for gear switch position. Since Subaru turns on the DRL when vehicle gear is off of P (park)...

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
420 Posts
Ok so the black plug on our sport. Looks like it’s used for the blinkers and the side parking lights. The 3 wires being ground, constant and flash. I wonder if the DRL are the extra 2 wires on that same plug. Positive and trigger maybe for gear switch position. Since Subaru turns on the DRL when vehicle gear is off of P (park)...

Nope. It looks like the other three wires feed a motor that controls the steering assist. The DRL is in the 10 pin connector. It is a positive wire at pin 9. I got some of the wiring codes written down. I was also able to find some wiring details, but since the headlights are replacement parts, I could not find any wiring diagram for the headlight assembly.

If anyone has one, please share. From what I could see in the wiring diagrams is that the DRL has a relay switch. There are other very complicated parts used in the SRH headlight as well. This may be much more complicated than it appears.

I have a pigtail harness connector on the way for the 10 pin, so I will try it out this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
420 Posts
Not plug and play. I am waiting on a connector and some time to install one lamp. If that works I will install a second. Not sure it is going to work. Definitely will not be able to use the SRH function. So, you are looking at just getting the DRL LED option. I would be happy with that.

·
Registered
2014 FIAT 500L
57 Posts
Not plug and play. I am waiting on a connector and some time to install one lamp. If that works I will install a second. Not sure it is going to work. Definitely will not be able to use the SRH function. So, you are looking at just getting the DRL LED option. I would be happy with that.
The CA Sport has SRH, so that may be where the "trouble" comes in...

·
Registered
11 Posts
The CA Sport has SRH, so that may be where the "trouble" comes in...
Wow I was hoping they had drl without steering. But if he can get the DRL only. I’ll also be happy with that. Or hopefully write into diode dynamics to come out with an option for us.

·
Registered
2019 Sport
17 Posts
I am wondering if there a different sub-harness that we can get that would have those extra pins and wires filled. Does anyone have the service manual to see if the sub-harness/main harness is different between the sport and the limited/touring?

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
420 Posts
I am wondering if there a different sub-harness that we can get that would have those extra pins and wires filled. Does anyone have the service manual to see if the sub-harness/main harness is different between the sport and the limited/touring?
It is not that easy. I have purchased connectors with wires for all pins.

I did review the service manual. The problem is that the SRH system is a complicated series of relays and electronics that takes the input from the steering wheel and converts that to an electric signal that drives the motor in the SRH light assembly.

In short, there is no practical/cost-effective solution available at this current time to activate the SRH system in non-equipped cars.

On another note, i have everything i need to install one Light with LED DRL, except the time to do it. I hope to try this coming weekend.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
420 Posts
Okay, I wired it up today. It took quite some time to get it dialed in, but it works!!! (y)

No SRH function, but the LED DRL works. The biggest problem with the wiring was that the Sport headlight has a Neg DRL signal and the Touring headlight uses a Pos DRL signal. In the end, I did not use the neg DRL wire for anything. In the Sport, the main Lo beam lamp is dimmed to provide the DRL. In the Touring, the LED DRL should operate without the headlight beams being on. For a long time, I had both lights operating (LED DRH and main lamp), but in full sun with car in drive the running lights are off and this would shut down the LED DRL. What I had to do was reverse the wires for the running lights and the Lo beam main lamp. This did the trick. Now the lights behave the way they should.

Of note, there are two losses of function when placing the Toruing headlight into the Sport or other non LED DRL option:
1. No Steering Responsive Headlight (SRH).
2. No amber running light in the main lens. This is no big deal at all for me. The Sport has two amber bulbs. A side marker lamp (single filament for running light only) and main lens lamp (dual filament for running light and blinker). The Touring has an LED side marker lamp and a dual filament amber bulb in the main lens. When using the Touring headlight in the Sport, the side marker LED works as a running light with the LED DRL, but the dual filament bulb does not work. I tried to get it working, but when running power to it, it affected the turn signal. So, it does not bother me as the side marker is the critical one.

I hope to post some wiring diagrams and testing photos tomorrow. It will take me awhile before I buy another headlight and get it all wired up, but I will be sure to post photos when done.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
420 Posts
2019 Subaru Forester Sport Headlight Upgrade​

I am going to start with describing the headlights for each model. Then I will dive into the details for the connectors and wiring. I will finish by describing how to require the Forester Sport headlight wires to a replacement harness that will connect to the Forester Touring headlight with LED Daytime Running Light (DRL).

It is worth noting that the Steering Responsive Headlight (SRH) motor integrated in the Touring headlight assembly requires a complicated series of relays and switches that changes the steering input into a signal to drive the headlight motors. The Forester Sport does not have this series of electronics, therefore, this modification will activate the LED DRL, but not the SRH.

The harness connectors I purchased are the female 10 pin connectors that will replace the Sport 8 pin connector. These are very high quality and appear to be OEM. They come with black wires and all slots are filled. Many of the wires will not be used. I could not find this part on any Subaru web store. I purchased them from findpigtails.com The problem is cost. $75 each seems rather pricey, but the customer service is very good. I am pretty sure if you mention this post to Ryan, he would offer you a discount on the purchase of a pair of connectors. I bought the headlights on ebay for just about $275 each with shipping. These came out of wrecked cars so some tabs were broken and required repair. My plan is to sell my headlights in perfect condition for $200 each. Fingers crossed.

I purchased only one headlight just so I can make sure they work before buying the second one. So, all the wiring specs below and wire colors pertain to the Left connector. I also want to point out that each pin slot is marked with a number. This is true for the male headlight connectors too. This takes the guesswork out of trying to match the male and female pin locations which are mirrored locations. You just need magnifying glasses to see the tiny numbers. The other option that works is to take a photo with your phone and zoom in.

Forester Sport Female Connector (Vehicle harness)

8 pin FEMALE B477 Left. This connector has 4 wires.

Pin 1 – G (Green) – Lo beam (+)

Pin 2 – SB (Light Blue) – Hi beam (+)

Pin 3 – B (Black) – ground

Pin 5 – V (Violet) – DRL (-)

6 pin FEMALE B287 Left/Right

Pin 1 – Y (Yellow) – Turn signal (+)

Pin 2 – L (Blue) – Running light (+)

Pin 6 – B (Black) – Ground

Forester Touring Male Connector (Headlight harness)

10 pin MALE B477 Left. This connector has 9 wires.

Pin 1 – Y (Yellow) – Lo beam (+)

Pin 2 – P (Pink) – Hi beam (+)

Pin 3 – B (Black) - Ground

Pin 4 – W/L (White/Blue) - unknown

Pin 5 – G/R (Green/Red) - unknown

Pin 6 – W/P (White/Pink) - unknown

Pin 7 – B/W (Black/White) - unknown

Pin 8 – G (Green) – Side Marker LED Running Light (+)

Pin 9 – L (Blue) – DRL LED (+)

6 pin MALE B287 Left/Right

Pin 1 – G/R (Green/Red) – Turn signal (+)

Pin 2 – B (Black) - Ground

Pin 3 – Y (Yellow) - unknown

Pin 4 – B/W (Black/White) - unknown

Pin 5 – G/W (Green/White) - unknown

The Forester Sport uses the Lo beam lamp at ½ power function as the DRL. In order for the LED DRL to operate properly without having the Lo beam on like it is on the Sport during full sun conditions, I had to rearrange some of the wires. This involved a couple wires from the 6 pin connector to be wired into the 10 pin connector. Below are the details on how to rewire the vehicle harness wiring to the new 10 pin connectors with black wires. Note that no modifications were made to the Male connectors on the Forester Touring headlights. Once the Vehicle harness is required, you simply plug them into the headlight connectors.

Forester Sport Female Connector (Vehicle harness)

8 Pin Wires to New 10 pin connector (This connector will use 5 black wires when completed). Start by cutting off all wires from the 8 pin connector and discard.

G (Green) – Lo beam (+) . . . Connect to Pin 9 black wire

SB (Light Blue) – Hi beam (+) . . . Connect to Pin 2 black wire

B (Black) – ground . . . Connect to Pin 3 black wire

V (Violet) – DRL (-) . . . Do not use

6 pin FEMALE B287 Left/Right (This connector will be reduced to 2 wires).

Pin 1 – Y (Yellow) – Turn signal (+) . . . Leave in Pin 1

Pin 2 – L (Blue) – Running light (+) . . . Remove pin from connector and Connect to B477 Pin 1 black wire AND Pin 8 black wire.

Pin 6 – B (Black) – Ground . . . Remove pin from B287 connector and place into B287 Pin 2 hole. Plug open hole with rubber cap.

All this should work, but this is still being tested. I have yet to hard-wire the new connectors. I am waiting for the right side headlight to arrive so I can install both Forester Touring headlights at the same time. I will report back when complete with some photos.

·
Registered
11 Posts
awesome. Do you think we would have to align the left right position on the touring lights. Or would they be auto centered when no input to steer them? Or do they have alignment screws like reg lights?

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
420 Posts
awesome. Do you think we would have to align the left right position on the touring lights. Or would they be auto centered when no input to steer them? Or do they have alignment screws like reg lights?
These appear to be auto centered when powered off. I will verify when installing. I do not think they have any manual alignment, but I will check that also. I do plan to lift the car sometime next year, so I hope there is a way to adjust the lamps down a little after the lift.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
420 Posts
I got everything wired, installed and cleaned up today. It works great!

The SRH motors were centered. The headlight position is fine. There is no adjustment on these.

Here the final wiring schematics.

All wiring changes were made for the car harness only to match the connectors on the headlight. No changes were made to the headlight connectors or that wiring. The wiring colors and pin locations are identical for both headlights. I will describe details for every wire on the car side harness. Any wire NOT used on the headlight harness will not be mentioned. Those wires have no function in this modification.

Schematic for the Left Hand (LH) headlight. *Identifies a wire that was relocated from the 6-pin connector to the 10-pin connector.

Old Connector
B477 – 8 pin
Female
Pin Location​
Color​
Function​
Notes​
New Connector
B477 – 10 pin
Female
Pin Location​
1​
Green​
Lo Beam (+)​
Released pin and relocated to DRL (+)​
9​
2​
Light Blue​
Hi Beam (+)​
No changes​
2​
3​
Black​
Ground​
No changes​
3​
5​
Violet​
DRL (-)​
Did not Use​
NA​
NA​
NA​
Side Marker/LED running Light​
Posi-tap into *Blue wire, Pin 1​
8​

Old Connector
B287 – 6 pin
Female
Pin Location​
Color​
Function​
Notes​
Old Connector
B487 – 6 pin
Female
Pin Location​
1​
Yellow​
Turn Signal (+)​
No Changes​
1​
2​
Blue​
Running Light (+)​
Released pin and relocated to 10-pin connector​
1*​
6​
Black​
Ground​
Released pin and relocated​
2​

Schematic for Right Hand (RH) headlight.

Old Connector
B487 – 8 pin
Female
Pin Location​
Color​
Function​
Notes​
New Connector
B487 – 10 pin
Female
Pin Location​
1​
Red​
Lo Beam (+)​
Released pin and relocated to DRL (+)​
9​
2​
Light Blue​
Hi Beam (+)​
No changes​
2​
3​
Black​
Ground​
No changes​
3​
5​
Violet​
DRL (-)​
Did not Use​
NA​
NA​
NA​
Side Marker/LED running Light​
Posi-tap into *Blue wire, Pin 1​
8​

Old Connector
B287 – 6 pin
Female
Pin Location​
Color​
Function​
Notes​
Old Connector
B487 – 6 pin
Female
Pin Location​
1​
Pink​
Turn Signal (+)​
No Changes​
1​
2​
Blue​
Running Light (+)​
Released pin and relocated to 10-pin connector​
1*​
6​
Black​
Ground​
Released pin and relocated​
2​

Teaser photo:

Since this was an elaborate mod, I want to keep those details on my modz page. You can check it out on page 15 around Post #284: https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/my-2019-subaru-forester-sport-let-the-modz-begin.792005/page-15

41 - 60 of 73 Posts