Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Touring Forester, but not the chrome. The fog-light chrome trim seems easy and cheap to swap with some pieces off eBay that are only like $25 or $30.

Plasti-dipping the front grille sounds like a minor hassle, and I'd imagine it will start to peel after several long road-trips and power-washes? It almost sound like I'm better off removing the grill and spraying it with some sort of weather-resistant outdoor furniture paint? I'm tempted to have some shop spray the chrome pieces and roof-rails and chrome wheels with a flat (non-grit) Rhino Liner paint if that's a thing.

Or for the cost and time, am I best off in the long run just buying the black sport grill? Anywhere cheaper to grab a replacement black grill than a dealer?...didn't see those on eBay.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
693 Posts
Not sure about the 19s, but on 14-18s you could just pull the fog surrounds out. Grille is easy enough to take out. You can then cover them with vinyl or spraypaint. Rails would be tougher, but if took a little time you could use some newspaper and masking tape to cover the rest of the bits and then paint them while they are on the car.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
452 Posts
I did black plastidip on my grill 5 yrs ago and it has held up very well, it has faded a little but eventually I will just mask around it and add more light layers over it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
191 Posts
I actually just posted something about the sport grill.. you might want to follow that thread to see if the sport grill is even available. I was told but the parts department that Touring and Premium models couldn’t swap the grill. :-/

I also might suggest buying the direct replacements for the fog light surrounds instead of the black trim from eBay that sticks on with 3m tape.. The sport has the black trim you/we’re looking for!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts