2019 Forester Sport CVT
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #62

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Bottom Line? I look at my hard cost for gasoline per mile driven, not the MPG.

If I lived in a high tax state, with far less disposable income, MPG would be more important to me. A state, which is the one American state that still imports oil from the Middle East, and giant gasoline prices and even bigger taxes, would cause me to go electric for a more reasonable cost per mile driven.

Here are the before and after gas mileage differences. Do these numbers show a huge mileage drop?

I know others here get gas mileage close to the EPA numbers. Good for them. I drive differently than most here.

Paying Texas gas prices leaves me happy with this gas mileage.

49.9 cents per liter.

Paying California gas prices, like I did at this refill, would cause me to be much more interested in taming my right foot.

$1.133/liter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you noticed any crazy drops with your MPG? I am reading stuff about ones' "CVT running hotter" and such...anything weird like that going on? I'm debating getting a sport like yours with these tires. Looks so good!
It’s a full 4 mpg worse. I was getting 25mpg in mixed driving now I get 21 mpg. I’ve had no issues regarding the cvt. I just have the tires no lift. They are truck tires and heavy. But they are great in snow, quiet on the highway and I drive less than 800 miles a month. It’s question of balancing your needs. But it does make the forester look tough!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
17 Posts
It’s a full 4 mpg worse. I was getting 25mpg in mixed driving now I get 21 mpg. I’ve had no issues regarding the cvt. I just have the tires no lift. They are truck tires and heavy. But they are great in snow, quiet on the highway and I drive less than 800 miles a month. It’s question of balancing your needs. But it does make the forester look tough!
2020Goester, thanks for the update. I am planning on switching to a beefier tire too when the time comes but do not have any desire to lift my Forester Sport. Other than the drop in gas mileage, what other observations, pros and cons, do you have with going with this tire? More road noise, rougher ride, any rubbing, premature wear, etc?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Indeed. See no need to LIFT, but meatier tires are what I need. I'm saving the Tire modification for my first Fozzy oil change and maintenance. So far 3 month and 2700 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2020Goester, thanks for the update. I am planning on switching to a beefier tire too when the time comes but do not have any desire to lift my Forester Sport. Other than the drop in gas mileage, what other observations, pros and cons, do you have with going with this tire? More road noise, rougher ride, any rubbing, premature wear, etc?
You get a tiny amount of rub full lock but only in reverse. Never going forward. Tire noise is the same volume as the stock tires but the tread bock makes a different sounds, but it's no louder than stock tire. I think that the Forester has a quiet cabin especially for the price point and the change in tires doesn't affect that. Ride is better, especially over speed bumps and potholes. I have only had the tires for 3k miles so at this point no wear issues.

As far as I can see the only real downside is the MPG loss and any potential longterm cvt wear due to the extra rotating mass. If that does cause an issue it will take years to show.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No lift needed? I thought 255/55/18 would need a lift
No lift needed. Just be willing to loose 4-6 mpg. i just drive from NY to TX and I got 20 mpg average over 2300 miles of highway. I was doing 80 most of the way. The faster you go the worse it gets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No lift needed. Just be willing to loose 4-6 mpg. i just drive from NY to TX and I got 20 mpg average over 2300 miles of highway. I was doing 80 most of the way. The faster you go the worse it gets.
Do you know if going to the size of tire will mess up the eyesight and lane keeping system?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you know if going to the size of tire will mess up the eyesight and lane keeping system?
My 6k miles on the car and heavy use of the eye sight while on the high ways I have had no issues. I think since it lifts the car evenly it doesn’t upset the system.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
477 Posts
Indeed. See no need to LIFT, but meatier tires are what I need. I'm saving the Tire modification for my first Fozzy oil change and maintenance. So far 3 month and 2700 miles.
Macro, you need to drive more. I can hike that far in three months. The PCT is on my list. :giggle:

61 - 76 of 76 Posts