Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
140 Posts
The occasional touching of the tire edge to the wheel liner ribs has been so minor that I haven't felt the need to do anything.
Have you had 5 passengers and a full load of cargo in the vehicle since the tires were installed? Does the additional weight squat the suspension down enough to cause additional rub at full turn or going over speed bumps? Thank You

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Have you had 5 passengers and a full load of cargo in the vehicle since the tires were installed? Does the additional weight squat the suspension down enough to cause additional rub at full turn or going over speed bumps? Thank You
No, but will soon have two, luggage and motorcycle trailer.

Will post more as I learn more.

·
Registered
2018 Touring XT CVT
187 Posts
Had that very same setup on my old '15 Crosstrek with 2" lift. LOVED the look, but at cost of MPG and further acceleration drag. CVT would get hotter than normal as well.

Curious how well this gels with the '19 N/A Forester.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Updated gas mileage: Indicated 20.9 mpg X 1.046 = 21.86 mpg (Did you take the odometer error into account?)

Acceleration? Well, surely you jest as I came from a similar sized 4X4 with a V8. Feels the same as before the ATK02s were installed, sorta slow but acceptable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Updated gas mileage: Indicated 20.9 mpg X 1.046 = 21.86 mpg (Did you take the odometer error into account?)

Acceleration? Well, surely you jest as I came from a similar sized 4X4 with a V8. Feels the same as before the ATK02s were installed, sorta slow but acceptable.
What kind of gas mileage were you getting before the tires? I average 27-31 so 21 seems very low, but sounds like you have a heavy foot.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
What kind of gas mileage were you getting before the tires? I average 27-31 so 21 seems very low, but sounds like you have a heavy foot.
Dash indicated 21.9 mpg.

Ethanol gas, and rather brisk driving. Our paid express lanes through the middle of town have 75 mph speed limit. The freeways in town are 70 mph.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So no hit on MPG? that's weird with added 20lbs per tire and 30mm of extra road contact which should increase rolling resistance, and essentially regearing which makes acceleration less efficient, I came across a jalopnik article testing an XV with similarly taller and heavier tires on a dyno, that thing lost 10% of wheel hp.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Driving around town doesn't require a lot of horsepower, unless you want to smoke past everyone.

The stiff LT version of these ATK02s, at 37 psi, may have a reasonable rolling resistance with such a lightweight Forester.

Don't know, but I'm seeing identical mpg.

·
Registered
2018 Touring XT CVT
187 Posts

Yep, circumference/rotation taken into consideration. My commute was 60%HWY/40%Rural. And mind you, much of that is DMV traffic, so, LOTS of crawls the closer to DC you get.

As for accel, mine felt like a death trap in the making heh. My highway ramps are short and along 65 and 70mph stretches, plenty of semis in the right lane for scales. That get-up-and-go was not there when attempting merges with semis screaming in the right lane at 65+. :eek:

But yeah, of course, that is just my experience, and in a different model. Even so, I do miss that rugged looking snail on occasion. :)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Really good to find where the tire touches the Subaru aluminum skid plate at full turn. Doesn't feel, or look, like any big deal.

I hadn't noticed it until looking closely at todays photos.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
452 Posts
It's tight but the 255/55/18 BFG ATK02s fit the Sport. :bacon:

Finally I'm starting to think the Forester looks right.
Damn, you beat me to it. Several others too. I think I am falling behind on the modz now. :grin2:

This may be my next big project. I do love the KO2s and your pics and posts are helpful, thanks. I am also leaning towards thr Primitive Racing lift kit. It is pricing, but comes with King springs for a slightly stiffer ride which adds a natural 1.25" lift without lift spacers and promises to cure saggy butt when loaded down with trailer or fat people in the back.

Have you considered adding some high quality offset spacers? Primitive has some bolt on spacers with 25m and 30mm options. They are not cheap, but the best option for spacers which can be problematic and require longer studs if ading more than 3mm. This solution may push your wheels out further to provide more turning clearance. I'm not exactly sure where your rubs are happening. The wheels pushed out will make the Subie look more aggressive too. You need just a tad more of that. :smile2:

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The Rllitek replacement springs should do the trick. $400 delivered. They have a heavier back spring, but since I very seldom carry anything more than luggage behind front seats, the regular rear replacement will be fine.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
2,000 mile update:

I continue to be pleased with the performance of these ATK02s on the street. Far better than the same tire with a much taller 70 series profile on my previous car.

Heavy rain and ponding on the curb side of the street are no issue for this tire as the large void area allows for great water displacement.

Freeway cloverleaf grip is the same or better because of the added tire width. Maybe it is that the tire is an E with little sidewall flex. Maybe it is the 55 profile. Doesn't matter because the cornering performance matches that of a street tire design.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Looking at all the street tires, and the risk to the expensive wheels hitting a curb, the ATK02 is a safer choice.

Isn't it a purpose of a tire to protect the wheel?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Why BFG ATK02s? Because these tires are tough, they protect the expensive wheels, they can run over all sorts of debris without damage, and with over 120,000 miles of experience with the ATK0 and now ATK02 punctures merely result in a very slow leak allowing repair at my convenience. With such a heavy tire it is important to find an expert with balancing. Discount Tire balanced each twice on two separate machines. Having a certified snow tire is a bonus for those winter pass crossings I do annually.

Sure is nice to have a great off-road capable tire as an option for the Subaru Forester Sport. No new wheel expense.

As for the tire rubbing on the aluminum skid plate at full lock turning? 1/4" less than full steering wheel lock and there is no rub.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
One more reason for a durable tire: Wheels are expensive and roads are generally crap. A durable and stiff low profile tire offers the popular large diameter wheel much more protection.

Car tires may provide great grip, may last a long time, may be fashionable, and are often less expensive. However, they are relatively fragile compared to an off-road capable tire.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts