Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Note how protected the wheels are with this tire. Climbing curbs and rocks should be no big concern.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
4.6% lower indicated speed and odometer than with the OE tires.

60 pounds of additional unsprung weight.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6

Considering the 2" front lift and the 0.65" added radius of the ATK02 tire + 8.7" all = 11.35" front and 10.85" rear ground clearance.

Dang.

Pretty good, isn't it.

The 4Runner TRD Pro has 9.6" ground clearance.

Registered
How is the ride compared to the stock Falkens with regards to road noise, vibration and stiffer ride feel, if any?

Any issues with clearance or rubbing when at full turn or really working the suspension to full travel limits?

Can't tell in the picture, but do you have the factory splash guards on your vehicle? If not do you think they would clear if they were installed? I have them on mine.

Can you feel the extra wheel weight having impact on the vehicle performance, acceleration, braking, steering, etc?

I want to put these tires on my 2019 Sport, but I am concerned about the ride comfort. I don't want to hear my wife complaining that her new Forester now drives like a truck.

Thank You

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
At full turn the front edge of the front tires will touch the very bottom of the ribs of the wheel well liner. I could take a heat gun and push the ribs in to eliminate this.

I just set the pressure to 37 psi, as the maximum for the tire is 50 psi, to see what they feel like.

These are LT tires, so there are extra layers within the tire for much heavier vehicles. This should offer much better protection for the wheels as the 55 profile is a lot less than the 70 profile I am accustomed to.

As I get experience with these tires, I will update this thread.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
OK, at 37 psi the paved road ride and handling are the same as with the OE tires, though the steering is much less twitchy, more solid as it is less influenced by irregularities in the paved surface.

The wobble of the suspension remains, despite the lift and added unsprung weight. New springs or struts are needed to cure that.

The look of the Forester is much better. People are stopping in the parking garage to say that the Forester really looks good. Totally ignored before the lift and tires.

It wasn't a waste of new OE tires as they fit our 2016 Forester, and will replace the worn tires.

More photos to come.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The sharp speed bumps in parking lots are much improved with these BFG ATK02s as the the tough tire handles them like a 4X4 instead of a wimpy econobox.

Very impressed with all manner of pothole and road imperfections now.

A very solid sound now.

My thought is that now thee is so much more tire to take the hit, the impact is far better tolerated/absorbed.

Registered
At full turn the front edge of the front tires will touch the very bottom of the ribs of the wheel well liner. I could take a heat gun and push the ribs in to eliminate this.
If you are getting some minor interference at full turn when stopped, how problematic do you think it could be when moving and compressing the suspension at full turn?

Lets us know if you do the heat gun wheel well modification and if it does the trick Thank You

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Proper tire for a SUV.

Lose your mall-finder tires and get serious about your capabilities for all weather driving.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
OK, as stated above, the indicated speed has decreased by 4.6%.

The indicated gas mileage has decreased by 2%.

Does that mean I'm getting better gas mileage with these tires? Doubt it, but will make a real determination with the upcoming 1,800 mile loop.

Registered
@RawLand, what do you mean by "The wobble of the suspension remains"?
Do you mean the wobble is the same as on a stock setup? Or did you get wobble after installing the lift?

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
@RawLand, what do you mean by "The wobble of the suspension remains"?
Do you mean the wobble is the same as on a stock setup? Or did you get wobble after installing the lift?
The lift and tires had no negative affect on the soft strut spring action of the 2019 Forester Sport.

The soft strut springs make for a rolly-polly ride when pushing the vehicle, meaning driving like I'm in rally mode.

The ATK02s make for better tire grip on wet and rough surfaces because they are wider and have voids to pass water.

The ATK02s absorb speed bumps and potholes much better.

The ATK02s protect the wheels from curbs and rocks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
The occasional touching of the tire edge to the wheel liner ribs has been so minor that I haven't felt the need to do anything.

Registered
@RawLand, thanks!
I think this might be the setup for me, ReadyLift + 255/55/r18 KO2s on stock wheels.
Looks like more expansive subframe drop lift kits are not necessary and might be even causing the driveline shake while this cheaper lift does not.

If you get a chance can you post a photo of the front and rear CVs to see the angle? I think I'll order the kit if the angle doesn't look too bad.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
9 Participants
RawLand
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We鈥檙e the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing