Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a new 2019 Forester Limited less than 1 month ago.

Yesterday morning I found the car completely dead, would not start. Seemed like a drained battery. This was 5:00am so I wasn't going to knock on neighbors doors asking for a boost.

I called a cab to take me to where I was going, and when it arrived I figured I'd ask the cab driver for a boost first. Unfortunately it didn't work, car still wouldn't start.

When CAA came to look at the car later, they couldn't boost it either. They found that, yes the battery was low, but also the main fuse in the electrical circuit had been blown. They were able to short that fuse, and we could start the car. But I still had to bring it into the dealer.

I have no idea what would have killed the battery. It's possible I left a light on, but I'm not aware of turning any lights on. And I have no idea what could have blown the main fuse (though it's possible the cab driver messed something up during the boost and that blew the fuse)

But the CAA guy mentioned that Subaru's have really weak batteries in general, and he is frequently having to give them a boost. He said with the battery I have I'll likely need to jump it 2 or 3 times in the winter.

That seems pretty surprising to me, so I was wondering if any other forester owners have run into battery issue's. Have you upgraded the battery, or do you keep a jumper kit handy with you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, it is a common sad story.
Warranty issue you have.
So it's potentially just a bad battery? Or the battery is working as is, just inadequate for the vehicle?

Not sure why the battery would go flat in the first place but regarding the main fuse blowing, that takes some doing.
You sure that guy that boosted your car didn't reverse the booster cables?
Entirely possible he reversed the positions, I was in the car trying to start the engine as he was hooking things up. However, right before we finished we were able to get some of the electronics on (just couldn't start the car). I doubt we could do that if the main fuse were blown at that point, so I think it had to have happened after.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
491 Posts
Entirely possible he reversed the positions, I was in the car trying to start the engine as he was hooking things up. However, right before we finished we were able to get some of the electronics on (just couldn't start the car). I doubt we could do that if the main fuse were blown at that point, so I think it had to have happened after.
Unless they changed things, the main fuse is indeed that: it is between the entire system and the battery, except the starter. There's a diode (anode to ground, cathode to positive) in circuit someplace that takes the main fuse out in case of reversed terminals. Good thing too. Without it, the entire electronics package to that car would be a huge paper weight.

So it didn't blow because of reversed terminals? Hard to believe, frankly.
If he didn't, I suspect you must have a massive intermittent short someplace.

Your battery issue is something else, probably unrelated.

·
Registered
2018 SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd CVT
1,388 Posts
I watch a friend's house over the summer when they are at their other home up north. I start their cars monthly and let them idle for awhile. Never had a problem with their Hyundai not starting over the years of doing this. However, their very new 2019 Forester would not start on the second monthly start. I'm positive that I didn't leave a door ajar on the previous monthly start-up and am dismayed that a new factory battery would not hold a charge for a month. Fortunately I have a battery charger and was able to fully re-charge the battery.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
960 Posts
The dead battery and the blown fuse are related. A short of any resistance will drain a battery. A short of no resistance will will blow a high amperage fuse. Check the primary electrical system for possible shorts. Make sure nothing is touching the battery when you close the hood.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Service is looking at it today, so I'll see what the say.

I'm willing to accept the mostly likely scenario was I accidentally bumped the trunk light on while taking out some hockey sticks, and the battery drained over the 4 days I wasn't driving. Then the cab driver reversed the terminals during the boost and blew the main fuse.

There are things I could point to that might suggest otherwise, but putting it all together that seems like the mostly likely set of circumstances.

·
Registered
86 Posts
CRV batteries are the same so don't feel like it's just a Subaru thing. Really low CCA batteries and tons of sources of potential discharge.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,135 Posts
I've seen other posters on this site who have had issues with the 19 ..
There are apparently additional loads put on the battery by self test and proximity detectors for keyless.
The auto stop/start also uses a LOT of battery juice that sometimes isn't made up by the alternator on short drives, especially in traffic.
With any battery (especially in cold conditions) they will benefit from a smart trickle charger, and a battery upgrade would help too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are apparently additional loads put on the battery by self test and proximity detectors for keyless.
The auto stop/start also uses a LOT of battery juice that sometimes isn't made up by the alternator on short drives, especially in traffic.
With any battery (especially in cold conditions) they will benefit from a smart trickle charger, and a battery upgrade would help too.
What's the intended setup with something like a trickle charger? Like people aren't coming home and hooking it up every night, are they? Is it's intended use to only be hooked up occasionally (once a week/month/longer)? Or like if you know you're not driving for a while or it's going to be cold over night, you hook it up?

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
93 Posts
I’ve used the trickle charger on my mother in law car as she does not drive in the winter month from December to March and I use on my lawn tractor when mowing seasons end. I did look at my battery in my 2018 Foz Premium it’s rated at 470cca
Lou Cioccio

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'm willing to accept the mostly likely scenario was I accidentally bumped the trunk light on while taking out some hockey sticks, and the battery drained over the 4 days I wasn't driving.
To minimize that happening again, upgrade your trunk light bulb to an LED which has a lot less draw on the battery.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah start stop should be disabled if driving short distance. Not always easy to remember though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah start stop should be disabled if driving short distance. Not always easy to remember though.
I have to assume that one of the checks that Stop/Start does is whether there is an adequate charge in the battery (and I'd assume it's a generous margin of error).

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have to assume that one of the checks that Stop/Start does is whether there is an adequate charge in the battery (and I'd assume it's a generous margin of error).
Owners manual says:
"In any of the following cases, the AutoStart Stop system will not operate...
When the vehicle battery is not in good condition."

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
187 Posts
@Puckducker , if you have the power liftgate, be aware there is a continual current draw while the gate is open that has nothing to do with the lights. Best not to leave it open unless it needs to be open.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts