Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,350 Posts
WHY ... is everyone hung up on getting AGM ... or "nothing" ?????? Apparently this is some sort of upper-crust-society whim, and not an actual needs-based-criteria ....... ! I get my regular Lead-Acid batteries to go over TEN years when I take the time to accurately check them at least once per year : this is really simple compared to checking Tires, Coolant, Oil-Changes (YUCK- Really "FILTHY" subject !), and the other things that go along with pro-active Vehicle Ownership !
Why? Because non AGM battery last 2 years or less in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico. AGM will last 5-6 years. Heat kills non AGM batteries. Summer time the local auto parts stores parking lot are littered with cars needing new batteries.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,010 Posts
It doesn't look like Northstar is a viable option anymore. The Northstar web page for their automotive line takes you to the Odyssey (Enersys) web page. The "Northstar pro" listed there doesn't come in a group 35, nor does the Odyssey Extreme. The Odyssey Performance line does.

I'm thinking any Northstar one finds in a group 35 might be old stock.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just ordered an agm battery through Costco ... then the site said no longer can can display item the following day. Pretty sure it won’t be coming. Sigh. I want a new battery badly, but don’t want to pay 400 (Northstar).
AGM : do you need a BATTERY ... or an EGO BOOST ?????

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,604 Posts
Costco said they shipped me their AGM battery today. I'll believe it when I see it.

Costco Canada has AGM battery available on their site...depending on the day. Today it is working haha.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,604 Posts
Just like what ForesterBill says, it's because that's what these '19+ models require with all these electronics and auto start stop. Believe me, I wish I only had to pay 50 bucks for a brand new battery, and I'd rather not use my car as a guinea pig to see if a standard battery will work without issue when Subaru has already done that.
It's not just the start stop (which mine thankfully does not have). There are so many parasitic draws on my vehicle. I also want a battery that charges faster as well. I think it's funny that people mock others who have done research and real world testing.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium CVT
56 Posts
In February I was able to buy an Odyssey group 35 agm battery with 850 cca @ 0' F. It was shipped direct from autozone. It weighed a ton, but, other than that, installation was a breeze. It fit perfectly. The only negative was the price.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium CVT
56 Posts
I will add, though, the oem battery that came with the Forester went 4 years before it drained on me while listening to the radio with the engine off for 10 minutes. From all I hear, I should consider myself fortunate.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I will add, though, the oem battery that came with the Forester went 4 years before it drained on me while listening to the radio with the engine off for 10 minutes. From all I hear, I should consider myself fortunate.
Took-a-licking-kept-on-Ticking ! : My 2016 (2015/Feb "Birth-Day") OEM Bat went dead a half-dozen times the first couple weeks that I had it ! After months-and-months more of dead battery events, and of tracking everything in it under the Sun ... I finally decided that the SUbaru Charging System was not up to the task ... and I permanently installed what was marketed as a Motor-Cycle Battery-Maintainer : it was used several times a week (possibly over-kill !) until Feb-2021, when I pre-emptivelly replaced the still working OEM with a bigger (850-CCA) unit, and almost immediately it also began to show fading SOC results !!! So back to E-Bay and another slightly more powerful "maintainer" ! So far, so good ... except that I just had to bite the bullet and realize that even with the SUbaru "software-upgrade" that the dealer had recently installed ... that this poorly engineered "charging" System is not what I was used to in my previous 60-Years of GM/Delco-Remy Alternators & Voltage Regulation Systems ...... : I have decided that I will just have to live with these very poorly designed Electical Systems, that were never properly "integrated" into a reliable Electrical System .... I guess that is what happens when the "engineers" design/purchase sub-systems like they are lego blocks that you just continue snapping things together until you get it as complicated as possible !!!! Gm uses their Body-Control-Modules to sequence their sub-systems "on" during Start-Up, and during Operation ... instead of throwing everything all on at the same time. That, plus their having a 50-Year Proven Alternator-Design and Regulator-Design whose main purpose is not impressing regulators ... but keeping the Vehicle properly supplied with Reliable-Electrical-Energy 24-7-365, in both Hot n Cold climates, for as long as possible.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts