Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium 2.5x Automatic 4sp
238 Posts
I can't say what is true or not, all I know is in my 2010 Forester the OEM battery whent bye bye after about 2.5 years. Installed Sears diehard and trade up the car with it a few month ago so 7.5 years after. Dont ask what CCA it was as I don't remember but in all my 30 years of driving this was about 4th battery change on all my cars.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can you share this info? Which year is the manual, a screen shot of the page with the info, etc?

The 2019 shop manuals, tech reference booklets, TSB's, etc that I have are silent on the test being repetitive. The only explicit mention of the test occurring with the car off, is as part of a cautionary note when measuring dark current. It notes that the ELCM (evaporative leak check module) might run after a period of 20 minutes or so. See below.

View attachment 546334
Endless "Testing" : I accidentally stumbled across it (an extensive Diagram, of a type similar to yours, above) while reading about the Fuel System Physical Specs( I was researching my earlier comment about installing a Remote-Fuel-Pump-Disable Switch ... near the Fuel "Flap" door). I wrote it down on a scrap of paper, and am attempting to "rediscover" what happened to my note. But ... in my follow-up Tech-Manual searching, I have found similar but less extensive info in the areas pertaining to "Soak Time". But all the "Soak-Time" diagrams are at the TOP of their respective pages ... the diagram that I first saw was at the very bottom of its Page, and was similar to, but more detailed than the Diagram(s) for "Soak-Time that are found in the Area of { GD(H4O)-215 }.

It graphically showed and mentioned that "the" Test Cycle repeated to keep the Fuel System in compliance ... seemingly for as long as the vehicle was NOT being run ....... ! Since this is one of the functional descriptions for Batteries Dying, I was immediately aware of its value.

As there are almost 8,000 Pages in the Manual, and the Info is very "illogically" (to me !) organized, it may very well take a while for me to find the exact Diagram, and transmit the Page Location for this Forum : but be advised, there are a LOT of people who work on these cars for a living, and not a one of them ever mentioned the possible involvement of the ELCM System, or "Soak-Time" delayed system Test Operations, or that actually running Motors was ever "discovered" during "dark-current-investigtions", my expectations of nothing but a continuing Cover-Up for these less-than-candid type problems will continue !!!!

And that is to say nothing about the possibility that a MALFUNCTION of the ELCM Testing Process may be at the heart of the problem .... as so many apologists for SUbaru constantly rehearse over these sessions ... "...most people never have a problem ...", which is another reason to be above-board in helping those who have dangerous Vehicles that either die, or No-Op in the middle of Any-Where or No-Where!!!! Electrical systems that "automatically" turn themselves on when a vehicle is parked inside a Garage .... IS INHERENTLY DANGEROUS .... especially around GASOLINE !!!!!
And most especially if those systems are mal-functioning ... which means their Failure(s) can/do have unintended results; so the Apologists need to stand aside, and let the folks who are chasing these (dangerous) problems can proceed constructively.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,039 Posts
“Electrical systems that "automatically" turn themselves on when a vehicle is parked inside a Garage ....”

The reality of modern vehicles is that they don’t ever completely turn themselves “off” until there’s little/no power left in reserve (battery).

This phenomenon isn’t new...it’s been around for years. The problems are just becoming more apparent and troublesome as electrical loads increase when newer models are introduced (additional options, vehicle status reporting, remote access functions, emissions requirements, automatic software updating, etc”... all the while, we still have the basic electrical supply-side to the equation that was designed pretty much back in the mid 1950’s, with a few tweaks along the way.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,010 Posts
OK @Marv2 Plz post if you happen to find it. Not saying it isn’t true, but a solid traceable reference is helpful.

Just a thought... When looking for something specific, I use my computer to search for key terms within sets documents,rather than manually paging through them. Saves a lot of time.

For example, in a few seconds I determined that the phrase “soak time” occurs but once within the 2019 shop manual, and never in any of the Technician Reference materials or TSB’s I have.

·
Registered
121 Posts
OK @Marv2 Plz post if you happen to find it. Not saying it isn’t true, but a solid traceable reference is helpful.

Just a thought... When looking for something specific, I use my computer to search for key terms within sets documents,rather than manually paging through them. Saves a lot of time.

For example, in a few seconds I determined that the phrase “soak time” occurs but once within the 2019 shop manual, and never in any of the Technician Reference materials or TSB’s I have.
SOAK-TIME : My 2016 Gen.6 SUbaru Service Manual has 10-results for "SOAK TIME" ; and has another 20-results for "SOAK TIMER" : for a total of 30 instances for this special testing terminology. I argee that i never caught wind of this very unique topic until I graduated from the TSB's and the Owner's Manual simple stuff ! Still doing a microscopic scan to locate the specific diagram that I saw for a short time when I was preoccupied with another problem .......... I may have to broaden my scope of what I was looking at when I saw that diagram ... I do have other reference material on my PC for this subject ...... : but it was consistant with the above info ..... just a lot more extensive and far-reaching in its descriptions.
FWIIW: I have no problem with electronic systems working night & day while a vehicle "rests" from its Labors ( ! ) ... what I complained about above is when Things-That-Spark ( like Motors ... and Switches !!! ) are made to run, near the Fuel, and it Vapors, drawing much more than Micro-Watts-Of-Power ! I percieve that concept to be Dangerous !!!! It seems that they are attempting to keep the Fuel Tank under perpetual vacuum state ! If so ... then what is that Charcoal Cannister doing ????? Soon they will have a two-gated valve in the Fuel Filler Tube, gulping the Fuel AND ITS VAPORS from the Gas Station Hose, so nothing gets near their pristine Utopia !!!!! NASA has wonderful fuel fittings already engineered into Rocket Launce Facilities at The-Cape that has been doing this since the early 60's !!!!!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,039 Posts
Beats me why the fuel system is designed the way it is... that’s a question for Subaru’s design engineers.

However, if the described process was causing Subarus to explode in a ball of flames, chances are we would all be well aware of it by now. Doesn’t appear to happen often, from the absence of comments here...

This function isn’t new to Subaru, as I’ve heard it running on my wife’s 2015 Outback parked in our garage.

I’ll admit, it baffled the heck out of me the first time I heard it... I thought something screwy was going on, but the function is clearly identified in the owner’s manual.

Personally, I’ve got bigger issues to keep me up at night. I don’t need to go searching for more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Things that caused the OEM battery in my 2019 Forester Touring to need a jump:

1. Leaving the vehicle sitting idle in my driveway for more than a week due to the pandemic.

2. Leaving the rear hatch open for an extended period

3. Leaving an interior light on overnight.

Even when I was not making the above mistakes, it was obvious to me that the battery has been straining to get the engine started. Two weeks ago I replaced the OEM battery with the Interstate MTX-35. It is available for less at Costco. You don't want to go into winter with a weak battery. It seems absurd that you would need to replace a battery after only 5500 miles, but the OEM battery is the weakest link in the Forester.
When I go to both interstate's and costcos's website they don't list Forester as a Subaru model for 2019.. It seems crazy that they had a battery for you but their websites say no dice?

·
Registered
121 Posts
When I go to both interstate's and costcos's website they don't list Forester as a Subaru model for 2019.. It seems crazy that they had a battery for you but their websites say no dice?
REAL BAT INFO : Remove your battery from the vehicle (you will notice that the "case" is much larger than the battery that it holds !); measure the dimensions for the Bottom of the battery case, making sure that you include the slightly curved transitions along the sides; then put your existing battery back in place, and measure the MAX Height that can be tolerated by the closed hood over your battery, allowing room for the Battery Conn's and the Hold-Down assembly. These MEASUREMENTS are what you need to use for getting the largest, most powerful, highest capacity battery that will endure the negative, destructive impacts of the Far-Eastern-Engineer-Mental-Disilexia inherent in the SUbaru designs!
Then go to the battery retailer of your choice with your complete set of Specifications (forget about their "charts" !!!) : HEIGHT; Width; Length; +/- Terminal Positions & Style. You might want to bring a picture of your existing Battery Fit-Up with you, as one never knows the comprehension-skill-level of some sales people !!!!!! When you finish, you will have the most capable battery that your SUbaru will ever be able to accomidate in its Battery Case; and it will most likely far outlast anything that SUbaru ever would have put in it ! If you want to assure even longer service, then purchase and install under the hood, in the Engine Bay, a BATTERY MAINTAINER, which , if used when a SUbaru is "on-vacation" will assure that you will always have a fully charged, and DE-SULFATED battery .... which can almost double actual battery life beyond normal use !!!!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,010 Posts
Some Costco stores do not carry the interstate group 35 AGM. Mine does not. When I checked the interstate site, I believe I had to enter a different model or year to get it to come up. The interstate site is a bit flawed.

@Marv2 - nice rant, but it would be so much more helpful if you were to provide an alternate larger group that is a proven fit. I just put a 24F in my Toyota. The 24’s height and width match the 35, but it’s about an inch longer. It will be a tight fit in my 2019 Forester and I’m not going to see if I can squeeze it in until the weather warms.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,639 Posts
Some Costco stores do not carry the interstate group 35 AGM. Mine does not.
My Costco did about 6 months ago, but no longer does. However, I didn't ask if one can be ordered.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
67 Posts
My Costco did about 6 months ago, but no longer does. However, I didn't ask if one can be ordered.
I checked both my local Costco's for the group 35 AGM's as my '19s battery started having issues a while back, both locations were backordered, one refused to try and order, the other said he could try, but it'd be a 50/50 chance if they'd be able to get it. But since I've only had my forester for a little over a year, I took it to the dealership where they tested and replaced the battery under warranty as it wouldn't get above a 60% charge. That being said, the service manager said I was lucky because it was the last one they had and they didn't know when they'd be able to get another as they were also backordered there. He also mentioned that Subaru batteries are just rebranded Interstates.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I checked both my local Costco's for the group 35 AGM's as my '19s battery started having issues a while back, both locations were backordered, one refused to try and order, the other said he could try, but it'd be a 50/50 chance if they'd be able to get it. But since I've only had my forester for a little over a year, I took it to the dealership where they tested and replaced the battery under warranty as it wouldn't get above a 60% charge. That being said, the service manager said I was lucky because it was the last one they had and they didn't know when they'd be able to get another as they were also backordered there. He also mentioned that Subaru batteries are just rebranded Interstates.
WHY ... is everyone hung up on getting AGM ... or "nothing" ?????? Apparently this is some sort of upper-crust-society whim, and not an actual needs-based-criteria ....... ! I get my regular Lead-Acid batteries to go over TEN years when I take the time to accurately check them at least once per year : this is really simple compared to checking Tires, Coolant, Oil-Changes (YUCK- Really "FILTHY" subject !), and the other things that go along with pro-active Vehicle Ownership !

·
Registered
121 Posts
Some Costco stores do not carry the interstate group 35 AGM. Mine does not. When I checked the interstate site, I believe I had to enter a different model or year to get it to come up. The interstate site is a bit flawed.

@Marv2 - nice rant, but it would be so much more helpful if you were to provide an alternate larger group that is a proven fit. I just put a 24F in my Toyota. The 24’s height and width match the 35, but it’s about an inch longer. It will be a tight fit in my 2019 Forester and I’m not going to see if I can squeeze it in until the weather warms.
RANT ???? : I gave specific, field-proven technique for anyone to be able to get a PERFECT-FIT replacement battery in a SUbaru ... in spite of MIS-LEADING "SALES" PEOPLE who have not a single clue how to make a "sale"; and their "corporate" leadership who put out WORTHLESS cross-referance charts augmented by SUbaru Corporate Office Recommendations .... which is intended to FORCE SUbaru "owners" (slaves) back to the blood-sucking "Service-Centers", as the "only source of authorized replacement parts". Your choice: be a slave ... or be your own person !!!!!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
WHY ... is everyone hung up on getting AGM ... or "nothing" ?????? Apparently this is some sort of upper-crust-society whim, and not an actual needs-based-criteria ....... ! I get my regular Lead-Acid batteries to go over TEN years when I take the time to accurately check them at least once per year : this is really simple compared to checking Tires, Coolant, Oil-Changes (YUCK- Really "FILTHY" subject !), and the other things that go along with pro-active Vehicle Ownership !
Bet you don't have a 2019+ Forester with excessive draw from all the new electronics, additional battery stress from AS/S and a so-called "smart" alternator.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
67 Posts
Just like what ForesterBill says, it's because that's what these '19+ models require with all these electronics and auto start stop. Believe me, I wish I only had to pay 50 bucks for a brand new battery, and I'd rather not use my car as a guinea pig to see if a standard battery will work without issue when Subaru has already done that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just like what ForesterBill says, it's because that's what these '19+ models require with all these electronics and auto start stop. Believe me, I wish I only had to pay 50 bucks for a brand new battery, and I'd rather not use my car as a guinea pig to see if a standard battery will work without issue when Subaru has already done that.
AGM : an AGM battery is not the only way to get a ~900CCA Battery; and that is why I promote the custom fitting of the largest battery that can be fitted into that "box" !!!! My Wife's 2016 Outback had a 300CCA Riding-Lawn-Mower-Battery from the Dealer; it died the day after it landed on our Driveway, and 5-MORE-TIMES in the next two weeks !!!!!! It had about 220mA of "dark-current" (every electric option that SUbaru had in their Market-Basket !!) and the Dealer refused to address that issue ... PLUS the dealer had the vehicle on his lot for MONTHS before we bought it ... and I only much later discovered that there is a FUSE that they are suppose to PULL during long-term-storage (alias Back-Up-Fuse : NOT the B\U-Light-Fuse !!) ... which they had NOT DONE ! Result : the battery as delivered was SEVERLY SULPHATED and there-by DAMAGED from being chronically under-charged for MONTHS (!) ... due to their incompetence !!!! Her 2016-Outback got a lot of attention ... from ME ... not from the Dealer ... and that battery which was declared DEAD at Auto-Zone several times, has been DESULPHATED by me every year since then, and still keeps going ONLY BECAUSE I AM HYPER-PRO-ACTIVE in proving any battery can be saved IF IT IS KEPT REJUVENATED !!!! BTW, that 2016 Car's battery had a production code of FEB-2015 ... so it was over a year old when I became its "happy" owner !!! Ant the Auto-Zone battery ... sits in the Garage on a Battery-Maintainer to this day !!!!! This Forum is a testamony that the SUbaru batteries are useable .. if they are given overly-corrective maintenance ... but the SUbaru "guidance" is USELESS !!!! And their upside-down design-engineering is A JOKE in the real engineering world !!!!
CONCLUSION : put the HIGHEST CCA Battery that will fit into ANY SUbaru Vehicle, and use Due-Diligence just like you would on Oil-Changes, Tire-Rotations, Filter-Replacements, and Brake-Inspections !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I was in Costco again today and didn't see any AGM batteries in any group size, so I asked the battery representative. He stated that because of Covid the battery manufacturer is not making AGM batteries right now. He also said there is only one company in the entire country making AGM batteries right now. When asked, he did state they would carry Interstate AGM batteries again at some point in the future.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,604 Posts
I was in Costco again today and didn't see any AGM batteries in any group size, so I asked the battery representative. He stated that because of Covid the battery manufacturer is not making AGM batteries right now. He also said there is only one company in the entire country making AGM batteries right now. When asked, he did state they would carry Interstate AGM batteries again at some point in the future.
I just ordered an agm battery through Costco ... then the site said no longer can can display item the following day. Pretty sure it won’t be coming. Sigh. I want a new battery badly, but don’t want to pay 400 (Northstar).

61 - 80 of 90 Posts