Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had the car battery die twice now in the last month. Last time we jumped it and ran it for a good 20 minute long drive. So battery should have been fully charged.
Two weeks go by and I try to start it and it's mostly dead-some lights come on when I try to start the car but doesn't turn over.
We jumped it again and took it to the shop. They tell us this is "normal". They say there are so many computers that the battery will die that quickly. They say we must start it every week. They say we can put a battery tender on it or unplug the battery.
But... what if we're out backpacking for several weeks. We certainly can't put a battery tender on it. And if we unplug the battery and lock the car, how do we get back into the car to pop the hood to reconnect the battery?
Seems like a catch 22.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, just remembered there is the physical key inside the fob so we can get back into the car when the battery is dead or disconnected.
But... is disconnecting the battery something we should be prepared to do when we leave our cars for 2 weeks-like at the airport?

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring CVT7
176 Posts
i did not have problem after 2 weeks , assuming it was is fully charged ...

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,476 Posts
Cars today have way more power consuming systems than say a 2001, so yes leaving it parked at the airport for 2-3 weeks will result in dead battery. If you battery was dead and you jump started it followed by a 20 minute, will not fully re-charge the battery. @denissh suggestion of solar battery tender, etc.. are great suggestion.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,206 Posts
Boloney.
I replaced my OEM junk battery with a Walmart Everstart.
When I connected it I hooked to my tender to be fully charged. Something I think all new batteries need. That new battery off the shelf slow charged for over 12 hours before being topped off.
I left my Forester sit at the airport last February and March. Flew back, pushed the start button and it started instantly.
You have a battery, whatever it is, thats needs replacement.
My opinion anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,210 Posts
The factory batteries are weak and there are many complaints such as yours. Today's "smart" alternators won't fully charge a dead battery, especially after just 20 minutes. If I were you I would replace the factory battery with a more robust AGM type battery.

·
Registered
2017 Forester CVT
35 Posts
The OEM batteries have terrible Cold Cranking numbers. I replaced mine with one that has more than twice the numbers and my car thanked me.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Either way, I'd look into getting a portable battery starter if you're worried about being stranded somewhere without a jump. It's a good idea regardless and what I carry in my car(s) for long trips, camping, commutes, etc.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,593 Posts
When it comes to the solar battery tenders/trickle chargers, many of them come with 12v (cigarette lighter) plugs. Remember - however - that if your Subaru does not supply juice to the lighter socket without the key in or on, the charger won't work that way.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,593 Posts
oh, @adc - the stock Subaru batteries are horrible. I had the first one die at just about 12 months old. Got another Subaru labeled battery. It lasted a bit longer - maybe 18 months. Then replaced with a AAA battery. Then at 3 years, another AAA battery - that was last year. Much like the stock OEM tires, the OEM battery sucks for longevity.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
What????????????This is crazy town and so are the replies. THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN. There is nothing wrong with the Subaru batteries!
It's either weak batteries or poor engineering (ie, too much parasitic draw). There are simply too many dead battery complaints, especially with the 2019+ model years, to say there is nothing wrong. I have to charge the factory battery on my snowbird neighbor's 2019 Forester monthly. I never had to charge the battery on his Hyundai.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
239 Posts
We parked our '19 Forester for 2 - 3 weeks several times during the pandemic. (We have 2 cars and only drive once a week to the grocery store and errands in one trip.). Never even started slow. Always started with less than 1 second of cranking.

Our '20 Kia Soul sat for 5 weeks while we traveled last fall, and when we got home it started up like I had just driven it that morning.

Somethings not right with your Forester.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
607 Posts
Although my 19 is now in the garage and on a tender. Earlier this year, it sat outside for weeks without being driven without being started. No problems.

When replacing the battery in a ‘19+, remember it has Auto Start Stop

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,027 Posts
My' 18XT is over 2 years old. Zero problems. '19 Crosstrek 15 months old zero problems.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
The battery problems seem to have started with the new generation Foresters in 2019. I, too, have a 2018 Forester (47k miles) and a 2019 Crosstrek and never experienced a battery problem on either. Earlier this year during the height of the panicdemic the Crosstrek was parked for 2-3 weeks at a time but always started right up. On the other hand my snowbird neighbor's 2019 Forester cranks vey slowly, if at all, after 3-4 weeks of sitting idle in his garage.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Well, my wife's 2020 Forester Premium has been sitting regularly for days on end perhaps being used once per week. .....no battery problems yet but I'll let folks know if we do.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts