Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Limited
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just purchased a 2019 Subaru Forester Limited, one of the things I really wanted were the safety features associated with the backup camera, rear cross traffic alert, backup warnings, etc. I also added a hitch mounted bike rack. Now, when I back up, the backup warning system beeps continuously and shows red. Is there any way to have the backup camera 'ignore' the bike rack? Otherwise, I have to ignore the warning sounds and look for objects in the camera. This is my first car with a backup camera so this is all new to me. I didn't see anything in the manual that discussed bike racks - there was something about towing and I assume you'd run into the same issue when towing something.
Any suggestions? I'd hate to give up the backup camera warning system.
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you read the manual you'll learn how to turn off BSD/RCTA and RAB. And no, there is no way for it to ignore just the bike rack. It's a foreign object.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
251 Posts
When it beeps to warn you, there is a button displayed on the backup screen to turn off RAB and the beeping. You have to do this every time you hit reverse while the rack is attached. I take my rack off when we're done with our rides.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you - I was hoping there was a way to continue using BSD/RCTA and RAB while still having the bike rack on. Looks like there is not a way to do that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When it beeps to warn you, there is a button displayed on the backup screen to turn off RAB and the beeping. You have to do this every time you hit reverse while the rack is attached. I take my rack off when we're done with our rides.
Thank you - I think I'll do what you do, take the rack off when I'm done. One of the features that I really liked when I purchased was BSD/RCTA and RAB.

·
Registered
2020 Touring as of 8/28/2020!
508 Posts
If it helps I just did 1200 miles in my 2020 with a hitch mounted bike rack. Although, like yours, the backup warning showed red and continuously alarmed the RCTA was still functional which is the most important thing to me. I don’t have an issue with the RAB not working as I prefer checking the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,028 Posts
There is a way to silence the RAB alarm for as long as you want. I just don’t have it in front of me. (Haven’t put my rack back on for the summer) My RCTA remained functional with the rack in place, which is good. It’s a favorite.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts