Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a SSD light bar for my 2019 Sport. I want to run four round lights on the bar however I have concerns on the total amount of wattage that will be drawn from the electrical system. Other posts have shown that the battery is not the most robust, dying out in short time from leaving the rear hatch open and or interior lights on overnight. Additionally the stupid Auto Start / Stop feature could arguably be causing added battery stress.

Even four not so powerful 55 watt lights create a significant taxing load ( 220 watts) on an already weak system.

LED lights seem to be the way to go, but cost a small fortune unless you you go with el-cheepo made in China lights.

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Don't run them with motor off.

. Any sort of harness,relay,switch, fuse included with instructions on tapping into the battery, as well as grounding?

You will be pulling close to 20 amps of current for just the lights alone.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
40 Posts
Just ordered a SSD light bar for my 2019 Sport. I want to run four round lights on the bar however I have concerns on the total amount of wattage that will be drawn from the electrical system. Other posts have shown that the battery is not the most robust, dying out in short time from leaving the rear hatch open and or interior lights on overnight. Additionally the stupid Auto Start / Stop feature could arguably be causing added battery stress.

Even four not so powerful 55 watt lights create a significant taxing load ( 220 watts) on an already weak system.

LED lights seem to be the way to go, but cost a small fortune unless you you go with el-cheepo made in China lights.

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You
Not sure for what period of time you would be operating these lights, back in the day I ran a large array of lights on a car which only had a 60 amp alternator. Typically driving on back roads and I would have to dip the lights after a minute or so because of oncoming traffic, intersections, etc. So it never became an issue, the battery made up any deficit. The lights on that car probably drew in the area of 53 amps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts