Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Touring
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had it happen several time when it was not necessary. I'm talking about the ABS brakes. Below is an article on the problem.

So far, no accidents, but if possible, I'd prefer to disengage it. Does anyone know how?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,815 Posts
ABS is an industry acronym for the Anti-Lock Brake System. The above article is about what Subaru calls Pre-Collision Braking which is part of Eyesight.

I bet Eyesight and similar systems have prevented far, far more accidents than they have caused. If you want to disengage Eyesight, there is a button for that.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
933 Posts
I have had it happen several time when it was not necessary.
Eyesight should give you several seconds warning via beeps and flashing instruments before engaging the brakes, initially applying only moderate braking and then maximum force, although it may not if the perceived danger is very close. If you either accelerate, manually brake or turn the the steering wheel Eyesight should reset. The Eyesight manual is worth reading.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring cvt
61 Posts
I have had it happen several time when it was not necessary. I'm talking about the ABS brakes.
This happens to me about every third day driving home where it reads a bend in the road as an obstruction even though I am traveling at legal speeds.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
191 Posts
I've had PCB, on rare occasion, trigger over seemingly nothing. I hear it every so often when I'm in tailgating traffic at higher speeds, but my foot is always on the brakes or accelerator so it overrides it. I believe steering also overrides it but I'm too afraid to try that alone.

·
Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
137 Posts
I've had PCB, on rare occasion, trigger over seemingly nothing. I hear it every so often when I'm in tailgating traffic at higher speeds, but my foot is always on the brakes or accelerator so it overrides it. I believe steering also overrides it but I'm too afraid to try that alone.
The thing you're hearing (that series of beeps) is Forward Collision Warning. That's not the same thing as Pre-Collision-Braking (automatic max braking). The two systems work together, but normally FCW activates first, and if you don't respond in time, then PCB will kick in. I have never had either system activate inappropriately. If you're having even FCW activate because you're riding bumpers at speed, you might want to reconsider that practice.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
933 Posts
Eyesight is very adept at exposing questionable driving habits. It will react faster and out brake most humans so if it determines there's a high risk of collision what chance would most drivers have in that situation should the brown stuff really hit the proverbial fan?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
191 Posts
It most definitley was starting to brake though. It was doing the FCW and PCB in tandem. Also, no thank you :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts